What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Lyon

Briza

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

Manly being Hated again is good for the game, over the last 4-5 years it's been more pity than anything.

CharlieF

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
What many of you are overlooking is the fact that the minimum salary is being raised by ~20,000 dollars. Clubs will need to do a lot of upgrading of their lower paid players, which will take another chunk out of the available cap space.

Manly lose Kennedy next year. He is worth as much as Lyon. Salary cap is unnaffected in this case. That 20,000 dollars must be found by all clubs, not just Manly. Remember that Lyon is the only major signing for Manly in 2007, and their salary cap is pretty much unaffected for next year considering the 600k increase. The last 3 years has always been budgeted well by the Manly Club. They are trying to build a competition winning team just like every other team.

If Jamie Lyon did something you guys hate, then don't blame the Manly club. In the end it is about playing football, and as we can see with Jamie Lyon's form in England, what happens behind the scenes doesn't affect his football. You guys are dreaming if you think he will all of a sudden forget how to play.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Manly executive director Paul Cummings was unaware of Lyon's decision when contacted by The Daily Telegraph last night, saying: "We've got nothing back yet, we've made an offer, we're just waiting.

"You probably know more than I do, that's often the way it happens."

What a load of sh*t! Have a look in the Manly Archives, it's between Rex Mossops requst for a new mouthuard and Terry Randall's McDonalds award for a good game in the under 9's! Lyon's contract is so old that forms part of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

m0j0

Bench
CharlieF said:
Manly lose Kennedy next year. He is worth as much as Lyon. Salary cap is unnaffected in this case.
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression the Orford contract was one of those incremental deals where the majority of his salary is offset and he gets paid more each subsequent year. Or was that someone else?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I thought the way Lyon walked out on Parra was disrespectful. But I do think he was punished. 2 years in the old dart playing in the ESL and being out of the woods for representive football is really a good square up. Besides, next year most of the players that Lyon played with at Parra will have moved on. He will cop a bit of stick from the crowd, but don't most Manly players at Parramatta stadium?

CharlieF

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
What a load of sh*t! Have a look in the Manly Archives, it's between Rex Mossops requst for a new mouthuard and Terry Randall's McDonalds award for a good game in the under 9's! Lyon's contract is so old that forms part of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Parramatta made it as difficult as possible for Lyon to break his contract. They made him wait out the 3 years. They knew he would never come back. Does it really matter when the contract was signed?

Nickeel

Juniors
CharlieF said:
The last 3 years has always been budgeted well by the Manly Club. They are trying to build a competition winning team just like every other team.

That's right.

Manly signed Jamie about two years ago, so they have had ample time to get their budgetary affairs in order.

My only hope is that the documentation can be produced that subjects Manly to a long and humiliating anti-tampering probe, but I suspect the club has covered their tracks too well for that.

Nick

CharlieF

Juniors
m0j0 said:
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression the Orford contract was one of those incremental deals where the majority of his salary is offset and he gets paid more each subsequent year. Or was that someone else?

The salary cap for each year is juggled around quite well by Manly. Have a look at how well the Dogs and Broncos are doing it the last couple of years.

CharlieF

Juniors
Nickeel said:
That's right.

Manly signed Jamie about two years ago, so they have had ample time to get their budgetary affairs in order.

My only hope is that the documentation can be produced that subjects Manly to a long and humiliating anti-tampering probe, but I suspect the club has covered their tracks too well for that.

Nick

All I can say is try and put the Bulldogs or the Broncos players estimated contracts next to the Manly team and see who comes out on top.

Nickeel

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I thought the way Lyon walked out on Parra was disrespectful. But I do think he was punished. 2 years in the old dart playing in the ESL and being out of the woods for representive football is really a good square up. Besides, next year most of the players that Lyon played with at Parra will have moved on. He will cop a bit of stick from the crowd, but don't most Manly players at Parramatta stadium?

Do you remember the final at Parramatta last year?

Do you remember the reception Terry Hill got?

Multiply that by ten thousand. Then triple it. Then multiply it by two, for the amount of times he has screwed our club over in his own self-interest.

I used to love Jamie, but he is a cat of the highest order. To walk out once was bad enough, but to play us for fools again about sounding out former teammates, wanting to come home, a contract being all but signed (probably his manager's doing, I suspect) as a smokescreen for the deal he had already done two years ago was a dog act.

It will be a miracle if he leaves the ground alive.

Nick

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Nickeel said:
Do you remember the final at Parramatta last year?

Do you remember the reception Terry Hill got?

Multiply that by ten thousand. Then triple it. Then multiply it by two, for the amount of times he has screwed our club over in his own self-interest.

I used to love Jamie, but he is a cat of the highest order. To walk out once was bad enough, but to play us for fools again about sounding out former teammates, wanting to come home, a contract being all but signed (probably his manager's doing, I suspect) as a smokescreen for the deal he had already done two years ago was a dog act.

It will be a miracle if he leaves the ground alive.

Nick

Who cares if a few thousand Eels fans boo him, im sure he's got better things to worry about.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:

100% correct, although I'm not as hard on Lyon quitting - if you have a gun centre and make him do 25 tackles a game because your forwards don't do their job, and you don't see any ball because Daniel Wagon is your 5/8, and when you get smashed by Canterbury because Wagon constantly runs out of the line next to you and leaves huge gaps, and the coach slams yuo because of it......

Manly a buying the worlds best centre, mainly because 3 years ago Parra f**ked up. (and yes, by making a star player want to quit, you have stufffed up). I dunno what he's like as a pivot, but show me a decent pivot these days anyway (I mean one with shoulders INK;-)).

Manly have always been astute and capable in the player market. They are merely doing their job.

Nickeel

Juniors
CharlieF said:
All I can say is try and put the Bulldogs or the Broncos players estimated contracts next to the Manly team and see who comes out on top.

I'm not so much addressing the salary cap issue as the fact Lyon was, in all likelihood, signed a couple of years ago, contravening the conditions of his contractual status with Parramatta.

But this is all just speculation on my part. :crazy:

Nick

Nickeel

Juniors
Harold Bishop said:
Who cares if a few thousand Eels fans boo him, im sure he's got better things to worry about.

Mate, I'm sure he doesn't give a toss. He doesn't seem to about most things (e.g. loyalty, having a spine, respect, character, dependability etc.).

I was merely responding to the poster's suggestion "might cop a bit of stick". He'll cop a whole goddamn forest of sticks.

Nick

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
boy he's gonna have a big reception committee waiting for him at Parra Stadium

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Jamie Lyon signs with the Sea Eagles
5/07/2006
By Manly Sea Eagles

The Manly Sea Eagles have signed former Test centre Jamie Lyon to a four year contract.

Lyon will join the Sea Eagles when he finishes his current contract with English Super League club St.Helens where he has been the star performer for the last two seasons.

Manly CEO Paul Cummings has described the signing of Lyon as a major signing for the club to follow on the Sea Eagles rebuilding program of recent seasons which has included elite signings of Ben Kennedy, Brent Kite, Matt Orford and Steve Bell.

"Jamie Lyon continues the plan formulated a few seasons ago and we are delighted he will be in maroon and white for the next four seasons. He is only 24 years of age and considered one of the finest players in the game," Mr. Cummings said.

Lyon is excited about joining the Sea Eagles and linking with his former mentor Noel Cleal who is Manly's recruitment manager.

"I understand the culture at Manly, the training facilities at the Academy of Sport are first class and the coaching team under Des Hasler are doing a great job. Once my contract is finished at St.Helens I will be looking at a return to Australia, a strong off season of training and a return to the NRL competition", Lyon said.

Latest posts