What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Lyon

slamminsam246

Juniors
I think there is use for him actually. We have to find BK's replacement..... dumb@ss. He is our Recruitment Officer after all :roll: :lol: :crazy: He'll also have to find more players for depth.

Parra Guru

Coach
No one's got sour grapes guys. He screwed our club over and we're happy to see him finally piss off.

As much as I dislike Manly, I really hope that he treats your club and it's fans with more respect than he did to us.

As for Cleal, he is a great recruitment officer and I'm sorry that we let him go in the first place - but that's no excuse for Jamie's behaviour either.

yy_cheng

Coach
CliffyIsGod said:
Sour grapes, chengy.
No more HATE than sour grapes as I was resigned to losing him along time ago. He was my favourite player and what he did TWICE was just over the top for me.

I just wanted to see what he would do if Cleal did leave.

eelsta

Bench
CharlieF said:
Parramatta made it as difficult as possible for Lyon to break his contract. They made him wait out the 3 years. They knew he would never come back. Does it really matter when the contract was signed?

made it difficult?

they should have made him sit out the 3 years instead of

allowing him to go to england and earn big bucks!!

as the saying goes what goes around comes around judas

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra did the right thing. If he let him go straight away, it would've set a precedence. Other players, especially young players, would think a contract really doesn't mean anything

RainMan

Juniors
yy_cheng said:
Parra did the right thing. If he let him go straight away, it would've set a precedence. Other players, especially young players, would think a contract really doesn't mean anything

Exactly. Good on them for sticking to their guns.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I agree. I thnik of the St George/Tallis affair, and also of Souths/Chris Walker. A contract is a contract, and IMHO Parra were generous letting him play in the UK. Souths lost some face letting Walker go easily. Saints made Tallis rightly sit out the season.

Manly fans who booed Dale Shearer those years ago might need 2 straws in their milkshake, though.

Cletus

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
I hope the eagles are scheduled to play at Parra stadium in 2007.

We're scheduled to play at Parra stadium in rnd 19:lol: . Should be interesting.

Lyon is a great signing, what a centre pairing in Bell and Lyon:crazy: . We might even take over Roosters mantle of 'biggest salary cap cheats' and St G's mantle of Paper Tigers.

groggo

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
So Lyon has signed a 4 year contract. So he'll be on the open market next year again. ;-)
the only contract he walked out on was parra

wee waa (stayed)
st helens (stayed)
parra (get me out of here)

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

skeepe

Immortal
Onan the barbarian said:
We're scheduled to play at Parra stadium in rnd 19:lol: . Should be interesting.

Lyon is a great signing, what a centre pairing in Bell and Lyon:crazy: . We might even take over Roosters mantle of 'biggest salary cap cheats' and St G's mantle of Paper Tigers.

Bit of a gamble don't you think? Spending 25% of the salary cap on two players (Lyon $500,000 Orford $550,000) does not make any sense at all. Not to mention Bell, Kennedy, Kite and Menzies will all be on pretty big money... say around 2-300,000 each... even estimating conservatively that's about half the cap on 6 players.

Hope for your sake none of them get injured.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Onan the barbarian said:
Lyon is a great signing, what a centre pairing in Bell and Lyon:crazy: .

I think you'll find you'll have a halves pairing of Lyon and Orford - still as impressive, but somewhat bewildering when you just signed Trav Burns for a few more years.

Cletus

First Grade
skeepe said:
Bit of a gamble don't you think? Spending 25% of the salary cap on two players (Lyon $500,000 Orford $550,000) does not make any sense at all. Not to mention Bell, Kennedy, Kite and Menzies will all be on pretty big money... say around 2-300,000 each... even estimating conservatively that's about half the cap on 6 players.

Hope for your sake none of them get injured.

Kennedy is gone next year, Menzes has a $100,000 discount for long service.

It is a lot for two players, but if they can win you matches why wouldn't you want them?

Bazal

Post Whore
Onan the barbarian said:
Kennedy is gone next year, Menzes has a $100,000 discount for long service.

It is a lot for two players, but if they can win you matches why wouldn't you want them?

Look at Newcastle. They have the bulk of their cap behind a core group of three or four players. But watch how they perform when Johns or Buderus (one of those players) is out. They may have a very good side with those players in, but because of the insane amount of money they are paying for Johns in particular, they cannot afford to keep juniors. In general the good juniors get snapped up by other clubs because as soon as they show promise or progression they are worth more than what Newcastle can offer them. The end result is that Newcastle have very little quality depth. Sure, they have some good players running around in reggies, don't get me wrong. But a huge chunk of their juniors go elsewhere for an opportunity because Newcastle can't afford to keep them.

Basically, the fact that these guys (Lyon, Orford etc) take up near half of your cap means that while your full strength side will be a pretty good one, the junior development at your club will suffer (wait, junior development at Manly? My bad...) and when Orford or Lyon or Kite goes down, there will be no one decent to replace them. See Newcastle 2005 for reference.

By the way, this is in no way meant to offend or insult Newcastle fans, your club is just an example that I used....

wittyfan

Referee
Nickeel said:
My only hope is that the documentation can be produced that subjects Manly to a long and humiliating anti-tampering probe, but I suspect the club has covered their tracks too well for that.

I think if the NRL really tried they could come up with something.

Latest posts