What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarred Maxwell......

True EEL

Bench
i thought it was a charge down also, so did Burt = tackle count should have re-started. therefore IMHO Burt did the right thing by taking the tackle, because....

referee's are too keen to stop play in tight situations. if he he found touch, or run the ball dead, there was still a huge chance that the referee would have still packed the scrum, or forced the goal-line drop out, respectively.

let's also not overlook the 5 m forward pass from Penrith in the ensuing aftermatch post siren, plus the fact we couldn't kill the ball during that entire time

True EEL

Bench
Here's one from left field.

What about the shoulder charge to Etu's head? Directly lead to a try. And yes I watched carefully on replay. Not good.
Coote should have been put on report and we get a penalty.

i also agree that this was attacking the head and should have warranted a penalty

True EEL

Bench
Convince me time wouldn't have been stopped for that as well

this is my point.

i don't agree with time being stopped for things other than injuries to players. they don't stop the clock for changovers at any other time in the game or scrums for that matter in the early part of games. i have never agreed with this interpretation of the rule, its farcical to begin stopping play late in the game, just because the game is close

and it should have been ruled as a charge down and a restart of the tackle count, tell me they weren't trying to stop the kick, ie. playing at the kick

going by the past few weeks if you are making a tackle and knock a pass down then it is a knock-on or 6 more if they re-gather.
So going by that if the player was making a tackle which is playing at the man and ball hits him then the tackle count should be re-started if they kicking team re-gather.
There has been times over the past month were defenders have clearly not played at the ball but it has hit them while making the tackle as the player tried to off load and it has been called a knock-on or 6 again. It's happened to Ben Smith in the tigers game infact.

True EEL

Bench
and yes Petero wasn't square at marker for Burt's second attempt at field goal and ran out basically during the play the ball....basically the whole thing was just rubbish

yes, we should have shut their play down and not allowed that try to go to Golden Point, but we should never have been put in the situation taht we had to, the game was over....

the refs lost contol of the game from the 77th min onwards, there could have been 5 penalites in golden point and including a incorrect play the ball.

True EEL

Bench
was a diabolical finish to the game by the officials.....cost us 2 points

our so-called defence on the Jennings try post-siren was awful, but we shouldn't have had to make the effort, the game should have been over. a disgrace.

and yes Petero wasn't square at marker for Burt's second attempt at field goal and ran out basically during the play the ball....basically the whole thing was just rubbish

yes, we should have shut their play down and not allowed that try to go to Golden Point, but we should never have been put in the situation taht we had to, the game was over....
He was standing next the dummy half, keating shoudl have just ran into him and got a penalty from right in front. The way the night was going it would have been a penrith penalty for a vountery tackle. :roll:

Y2Eel

First Grade
IMO Maxwell made the correct call, here is my breakdown of the last 20sec
  • 79:40 Hayne shapes to kick but is forced to run because two Penrith players rush out and put pressure on him.
  • 79:43 Hayne kicks and the ball hits a Penrith player not looking at charging the kick down.
  • 79:48 Burt regathers the ball.
  • 79:50 Maxwell can be heard screaming still the last with his arm in the air.
  • 79:52 Tackle is made Maxwell blows the whistle for the completion of the set and is about to rule Penrith play the ball.
  • 79:53 - 79:56 Burt walks off the mark towards Penrith try line Maxwell can be heard saying "here, here" Burt hands the ball to Smith who goes to the try line Maxwell yells "come back here" then calls time off.
  • 79:58 Fox Sports timing monitor stops, and we know what happens next.
Now with the score line that tight the ref's will always call time off the instant the opposition looks at waisting time, it happens in every close game this isn't a once off.

The ref's can't be blamed for the loss.

Only prob with that is when the ref called time off Ben Smith didnt have the ball...

spiderdan

Bench
that try was fine because the the player who assisted did not touch the defender only his own player.
Yes we have had some calls go our way this year infact i thought the refs were harsh on penrith in the 1st half we were also slow in the ruck but they pot penalized 5 times for it and us only once. We were dudded 2 tries against the rabbits earlier in the season. We did get a lot of the calls our way against the tigers a couple weeks back but that would be the only game this year that we got the calls our way.
Last year we got a lucky call against Manly and thier coach broke the dressing room door and had a big whinge in the media, SK just said he was puzzled by the call.
At least we cop it on the chin and sook like moanly.
i thought both ways was illegal (under two different rulings).

a few years back on radio talkback some dude who was a referee was talking about the second tackle rule (which most people mistake for a flop tackle). basically a second tackle he was saying is when you get tackled and then someone from your side comes in and tackles the tacklers or gets involved in the tackle.

if a player comes in and pushes his own player forward it's irrelevant if they make contact with the defence. this is the driver play which got banned about 10 years ago when matthew elliot was getting the raiders to push their own players forward when the defence hit them so they could get a quicker play the ball.

i think (and i may be wrong) that we got benefit of the doubt on the try because casey was already over the line and wasn't driven over it by lasalo. i thought no try and was surprised we got it. the origin no try was rules because the player was forced into the in goal by their own player.

in any case, stupid that they start enforcing that mid-season. like i said in the other thread, would be good to get consistency through the season and not just police whatever is the current rule to enforce, especially when it's an inconsequential thing like a player being a few cm off side from a kick-off.

i won't be surprised if in the next few weeks they start getting nit-picky about players not having both feet on the try line when defending 10m or less from their own line. then come finals time they will not bother with al the knit picking throughout the season because they won't want penalties to ruin a tv spectacle.

Y2Eel

First Grade
i thought both ways was illegal (under two different rulings).

a few years back on radio talkback some dude who was a referee was talking about the second tackle rule (which most people mistake for a flop tackle). basically a second tackle he was saying is when you get tackled and then someone from your side comes in and tackles the tacklers or gets involved in the tackle.

if a player comes in and pushes his own player forward it's irrelevant if they make contact with the defence. this is the driver play which got banned about 10 years ago when matthew elliot was getting the raiders to push their own players forward when the defence hit them so they could get a quicker play the ball.

i think (and i may be wrong) that we got benefit of the doubt on the try because casey was already over the line and wasn't driven over it by lasalo. i thought no try and was surprised we got it. the origin no try was rules because the player was forced into the in goal by their own player.

in any case, stupid that they start enforcing that mid-season. like i said in the other thread, would be good to get consistency through the season and not just police whatever is the current rule to enforce, especially when it's an inconsequential thing like a player being a few cm off side from a kick-off.

i won't be surprised if in the next few weeks they start getting nit-picky about players not having both feet on the try line when defending 10m or less from their own line. then come finals time they will not bother with al the knit picking throughout the season because they won't want penalties to ruin a tv spectacle.

The origin try was given no try because Thaiday Pushed the back of a NSW player..

Parraren

Bench
Here's one from left field.

What about the shoulder charge to Etu's head? Directly lead to a try. And yes I watched carefully on replay. Not good.
Coote should have been put on report and we get a penalty.

Yeah I thought that was very suss.

Have they changed the rules for this now?

Didn't Adrian Morley get rubbed out for 4 weeks for something like this a few years back?

Parraren

Bench
The origin try was given no try because Thaiday Pushed the back of a NSW player..

He actually pushed the NSW player (Ben Creagh?) off the QLD player making it even more obvious that it should be a no try.

You can't directly interfere with a defender but as far as i'm aware you can leagally push your own player or the ball towards the ground or the try line.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Why was the ball not taken dead in goal by Burt? You have 40 seconds for a line drop!

No idea - even if we'd been given 6 again he should've done the Forrest Gump and run it dead, and just kept on running.

With 40 seconds or less left in the game you should always PUT IT DEAD.

Hayne was attempting to kick it dead up the other end of the park - perhaps he should've just grubbered it into touch....

Cannot fathom why Burt didn't take it dead though...

[having said that, no idea why the clock was stopped...]

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yeah I thought that was very suss.

Have they changed the rules for this now?

Didn't Adrian Morley get rubbed out for 4 weeks for something like this a few years back?

Definitely hits him flush in the head, Etu was falling, but honestly, the only reason he dropped the ball is because a shoulder made contact with his head (or possibly a forearm?)

Y2Eel

First Grade
Definitely hits him flush in the head, Etu was falling, but honestly, the only reason he dropped the ball is because a shoulder made contact with his head (or possibly a forearm?)

There was 2 hits that has confused the hell out of me this weekend the first one was Coote on ETU If he didnt hit him in the head how come he was knocked out?

The other was Joel Thompson's hit on the storm player he elbowed him in the jaw had to jump a foot in the air and he didnt even get put on report the storm player was out of hit...

Have they relaxed the rules on hits to the head or something?