What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Demetriou

smi962

First Grade
It was obvious he could coach. He coached Illawarra Cutters to the premiership in his only season there, picking up NSW premiership coach of the yr. Won a premiership as an assistant with Cowboys, a QLD cup premiership and two minor premierships as coach of Northern Pride. These things alone were more than Mary had ever achieved with a similar length coaching career, but somehow Mary had a first grade gig. All the assistant coaches we have taken a punt on as first grade coach over the past 10-12 yrs and we let this guy leave. Obviously didn't bleed red and white enough, those in charge don't have a clue.

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Rookie coach makes it to a preliminary final with a rookie half.

Nuff sed...
Not taking anything away from Demetriou or Ilias, but the side he in has been to the prelim the last 4 years as well. He had Walker outside him, Latrell at fullback (although missed a chunk of the season), the SOO hooker and a forward pack that gave him a platform to work from. With all these things going for him, Demetriou probably told the kid to keep it simple and he had a very good year.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Not taking anything away from Demetriou or Ilias, but the side he in has been to the prelim the last 4 years as well. He had Walker outside him, Latrell at fullback (although missed a chunk of the season), the SOO hooker and a forward pack that gave him a platform to work from. With all these things going for him, Demetriou probably told the kid to keep it simple and he had a very good year.
Interesting Bennett saying, when asked about Demetriuo and why others like Price and Henjack failed suggested it was because he didn’t try to change much. The others ‘ reinvented the wheel’

SGMax

Juniors
I recall price saying that he was going to make the Dragons an attacking team.
I also recall all our sets would start in our own 10m and our great attack would make more yardage but not enough to make up for the poor defence.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I recall price saying that he was going to make the Dragons an attacking team.
I also recall all our sets would start in our own 10m and our great attack would make more yardage but not enough to make up for the poor defence.
Under Price the attack was worse than ever. They finished 10th on the ladder in 2012 with the worst attack 405 points. Parra finished last with 431 points for. In Defence they finished higher with the same against as 3rd placed Souths. In defence they were about 8th overall. The Price years were the worst for me and he edges out Griffin as being the worst ever. But only just. Mary had us top 8 and playing better footy surprisingly not that it says much as the others 2 were so poor that it was easy to look better ahead of these 2.

SGMax

Juniors
Under Price the attack was worse than ever. They finished 10th on the ladder in 2012 with the worst attack 405 points. Parra finished last with 431 points for. In Defence they finished higher with the same against as 3rd placed Souths. In defence they were about 8th overall. The Price years were the worst for me and he edges out Griffin as being the worst ever. But only just. Mary had us top 8 and playing better footy surprisingly not that it says much as the others 2 were so poor that it was easy to look better ahead of these 2.
Hope you didn't spend too much time looking up points scored by dragons vs the bottom teams. You missed my point entirely.
Price years were by far the most frustrating I have endured.

I agree that their point scoring was terrible. Not what I was trying to say.
Obviously if they were scoring tries they wouldn't have fallen into a hole they still can't get out of.
They were starting sets so far away from the opposition try line, they rarely got many attacking plays threatening the try line.
If there are stats showing metres in attack I am sure they would show more yardage than you think....but not a lot of scoring.
All pointless as without a good defence to pressure the opponents into errors and fatigue to help you start your set out from a better position.

Also disappointed that Bennett showed them all what was needed and they reverted back to mediocrity so easily.
I include the BoD, the new coach, and even the Dragons senior players (Hornby, Young) who should have mintained standards, discipline, and culture.

Gareth67

First Grade
Recall David Waite the Dragon coach who took to the 96 grand final

He came to the Saints and done a fairly good job .Never thought that he was able to , but he was a very good coach .

I am not sure but I think he took us to the semis and perhaps beyond in another year - which I am not sure of .

Damn shame that other than a handful of the top coaches that there are no longer coaches with his ability looking for another opportunity in the NRL .

Last edited:

possm

Coach

He came to the Saints and done a fairly good job .Never thought that he was able to , but he was a very good coach .

I am not sure but I think he took us to the semis and perhaps beyond . Damn shame that other than a handful of the top coaches that there are no longer coaches with his ability looking for another opportunity in the NRL .
There is a stench associated with the SGI BOD. An old boys self-interest continues on. Bennett was strong enough to handle this and insist on his policy of no interference. On a few occasions, he put Peter Dust back in his box. Because he was so strong and had a big say in the staff and player squad, he managed to deliver us success in the short time he was with us.

I feel sure that the BOD purposely hires a weak head coach in order to maintain their hold on power and mask their numerous mistakes.

Reactions: Qdf

Old Timer

Coach
There is a stench associated with the SGI BOD. An old boys self-interest continues on. Bennett was strong enough to handle this and insist on his policy of no interference. On a few occasions, he put Peter Dust back in his box. Because he was so strong and had a big say in the staff and player squad, he managed to deliver us success in the short time he was with us.

I feel sure that the BOD purposely hires a weak head coach in order to maintain their hold on power and mask their numerous mistakes.
Everybody keeps banging on about Bennett bla bla bla

He was handed the Crown Jewels from our junior nursery (that doesn’t come along all that often) and a war chest to get what he wanted and won 1 premiership when a Bellamy or Robinson would have most likely won 2.

An enormous amount of work was done before Bennett arrived and he just put a bit of spit and polish on it.

Let’s see how he goes with his new franchise and a roster most likely only just below ours in quality.

Blame Doust all you like but Bennett under achieved if the truth be known

RedVee_8

Juniors

I am not sure but I think he took us to the semis and perhaps beyond . Damn shame that other than a handful of the top coaches that there are no longer coaches with his ability looking for another opportunity in the NRL .
David Waite took us to the GF in 96 and 99 if I recall correctly

Trifili13

Juniors
Everybody keeps banging on about Bennett bla bla bla

He was handed the Crown Jewels from our junior nursery (that doesn’t come along all that often) and a war chest to get what he wanted and won 1 premiership when a Bellamy or Robinson would have most likely won 2.

An enormous amount of work was done before Bennett arrived and he just put a bit of spit and polish on it.

Let’s see how he goes with his new franchise and a roster most likely only just below ours in quality.

Blame Doust all you like but Bennett under achieved if the truth be known
While Bennett is obviously an excellent coach, I agree with you in that he just needed to add the finishing touches to the work done by others before him. His record at the Broncos is great but also hides the fact that after they got used to the week in week out grind of the NRL/ARL compared to the local Brisbane comp, he basically had an Australian/SOO squad and won 6 comps. With the Cows and GC entering the comp, the power of the Broncos has slowly diminished and they no longer have the pick of the best talent in QLD. Apart from 2010, his last GF win was 2006. Not saying that he is a myth and would take him back at the Dragon's given what we have had to endure, but he has only won 1 comp in the last 16 years. Bennett is a master at playing the media to suit his own agenda and knows when to exit before things turn pear shaped.

Old Timer

Coach
While Bennett is obviously an excellent coach, I agree with you in that he just needed to add the finishing touches to the work done by others before him. His record at the Broncos is great but also hides the fact that after they got used to the week in week out grind of the NRL/ARL compared to the local Brisbane comp, he basically had an Australian/SOO squad and won 6 comps. With the Cows and GC entering the comp, the power of the Broncos has slowly diminished and they no longer have the pick of the best talent in QLD. Apart from 2010, his last GF win was 2006. Not saying that he is a myth and would take him back at the Dragon's given what we have had to endure, but he has only won 1 comp in the last 16 years. Bennett is a master at playing the media to suit his own agenda and knows when to exit before things turn pear shaped.
Excellent synopsis on your part

2011 should have been the back to back premiership no ifs no buts.

Rather than see the reality of that so many find it easier to blame it all on Doust for not signing Mr Burns for 5 years or more.

IMO that despite all the guffaw about Bennett’s man management skills bla bla bla he must have lost the shed for us to fall so far and fail so dismally or perhaps the 2010 was a little tainted due to the Storm fiasco or perhaps in a full comp in 2011 we weren’t as good as we thought?

But to blame Doust and not question Bennett is a complete cop out on our part.

Alas the 2010 premiership seems to have been enough to tide some over or to only be critical of where we are now but 2011 hurt me more than most of the last 10 years.