What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You don't even know what everyone's been criticising your evidence for... lol.

People have been saying your "family reasons" quote is from when Brown left the Warriors before he came to Parramatta. You are yet to acknowledge this.

Instead you just spin yourself in ever diminishing dogmatic circles, either through boredom in life or just to get a rise from your fellow Eels fan.

Yes. See reasoning above. Doctor prescribes you a hiatus...
I was the one who pointed out when Nrown2 made the statement about his family, so I don't know why you think it's some kind of gotcha:
This from 2022:
"There comes a time in life where my family's got to be more important than my coaching career, that's just the reality of it. I make no apologies for that," he told 9News in June.

Regardless, family reasons are irrelevant now he is back. My theory is that he left because the crappy job we found for him after the review was finished didn't align with his career goals, which is supported by evidence that I also sourced:
There’s ‘younger players’ in the full time squad and then there’s ‘younger players’ playing and training part time in the pathways, most of whom will never even play reserve grade. Nrown2’s interest is in the NRL squad.

Now it's pretty clear that you're the troll here, grasping for gotchas that don't exist. I have sourced evidence supporting my own theory, which has nothing to do with family reasons. But the theory that has zero basis in evidence is the one that says Brad Arthur is a shit human being that nobody named Nathan Brown wants to work with. As I said:
This interpersonal clash story is an allegation. It is the thing that needs to be sourced in the first instance, before even beginning to rubbish the evidence that does exist. Don’t carry on about “how much sense you make and proof you provide”. There is no proof, just attempts to discredit the evidence against the theory.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He also said he wanted to work with younger players, which is exactly what he was doing when he suddenly left. He also said he wanted to help put top 30 rosters together. You’re twisting his words.
Top 30 rosters don't refer to NRLW or pathways. The top 30 means the NRL squad. Full time athletes (and Wiremu Greig).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He’s acting under the presupposition that we are incapable of getting the best people for the job at any given time. That serves his rhetorical purposes but it’s not a true reflection of reality. For example if the Dragons and Knights landed Bennett there’s no reason we couldn’t have. We should always strive to be better rather than try to explain away our mediocrity.
The Dragons' resourcing has obviously dropped off a cliff since they lured Bennett to the club. They made the finals in four of the five years before he got there, whereas they are currently six straight years out of the finals. The Knights also had Tinkler before he went broke, probably for meeting Bennett's demands.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bigger than that. Coaches have an interest in job and it’s all about money and circumstances, see Nrown2. Even MON role will have some. The positions we’re really talking about are board & CEO, where potentially the best person has more “interest” in working for James Hardie or whoever over working for club.
Exactly. Merkins still talking about the head coach as though he runs the club. They need to listen to the TCT interview with Bernie Gurr.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Top 30 rosters don't refer to NRLW or pathways. The top 30 means the NRL squad. Full time athletes (and Wiremu Greig).
I get that, but what he said was that he was interested in putting a roster together, not coaching it. That’s more of a recruitment and retention position.

To be honest, I think his dream role would be HoF. I’d much rather him in the position that MON.

T.S Quint

Coach
It likely does, but like any business negotiations the negotiator would work within parameters that they dont necessarily set for themselves, so who am I to judge whether MON is any good at it or not?

Absolutely.
MON has a salary cap to adhere to, a CEO and board to answer to, a coach he has to work with and shitloads of arsehole player agents who are trying to squeeze every last dollar they can from him.

Understanding footy is a big part of the job but it would also entail a tonne of business acumen, as well as forming and nurturing personal and business relationships. It’s probably the hardest job at the club.

Is MON the right man for the job? I don’t know. I do know he couldn’t possibly be the worst at it. We could probably do better though, but then it’s not easy to find (and afford) the best people for this type of job.

Gronk

Staff member
I have no idea because unlike many others on here, I have chosen not to crucify O'Neill based on what I think his actual job entails.
Steve Murphy was the world's worst <whatever he did at the club>. Nobody here actually knew. They were just positive that he was really bad at it.

emjaycee

Coach
Absolutely.
MON has a salary cap to adhere to, a CEO and board to answer to, a coach he has to work with and shitloads of arsehole player agents who are trying to squeeze every last dollar they can from him.

Understanding footy is a big part of the job but it would also entail a tonne of business acumen, as well as forming and nurturing personal and business relationships. It’s probably the hardest job at the club.

Is MON the right man for the job? I don’t know. I do know he couldn’t possibly be the worst at it. We could probably do better though, but then it’s not easy to find (and afford) the best people for this type of job.
Resources?

Stevie

Bench
f**king hell the absolute shit tonne of arguments of this site at pages is punishing. I wish you’d take it to another thread, maybe call it the “I’ve got no f**king life” thread?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
"I don’t think Ryles is going to give a s**t who has been there longer or who is liked more," Hindmarsh replied.

"Jason Ryles is the most influential person in those dressing sheds."
This quote from here underlies why I believe it was the right time to sack Brad Arthur and why Ryles is probably the best man to replace him. Influence is a massive part of a coach's job, and reputation is a major part of that. It's why quality, experienced coaches like Anderson, Griffin (and Arthur?) drop out of coaching in the NRL and are replaced by men who've never coached an NRL club before.

Hindmarsh's claim that Ryles is the most influential person in the sheds might not be true, but it hopefully is. Ideally the head coach is the most influential person among the staff and players, but I'm certain that it's not the case at most clubs. Wayne Bennett talked about this when he visited my unit to chat to us about leadership, and he alluded to it in his book where he said the club captain is more important than the coach. I don't think Brad Arthur was ever the most influential person in our group, but hopefully Ryles is. His face is certainly big enough.

Latest posts