What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Happy MEel

First Grade
This thread is about Ryles mate, and you are becoming increasingly frustrated at my unassailable position of trusting 'authority' (the professionals). That's the benefit of being a f**king coward. You should give it a try sometime, because being such a tough merkin must be exhausting even for you.

Here's me simping for people paid to make these decisions. Apologies you find it so offensive:

And again, explaining why it's prudent to trust the people paid to make these decisions rather than 'independent thinking' dopes like yourself who know f**k all about coaching:

Which was in response to this post I liked:

Speaking of posts I liked, here's a post of @Stagger eel's that I liked mere days after Arthur's was rissoled:

Here's another one:

And another I liked:

And another:

Not opinions of my own, obviously, because I'm a coward with no ability to think for myself. That's obvious by how much I agree with every merkin around here. And something I agreed with from very early on was that Ryles might be the best option. The club deciding on him confirmed it for me, because they know best and we don't.
I’m warming to Ryles. But blindly claiming he’s the right choice because that’s what the club went with fails to factor human error. Do you still think Kearney was the best choice for us?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What has happened since 2018 that proves we were wrong. Making a GF and shitting our pants is no prize.
It's also not proof that a coach is garbage. Every coach in the game has been flogged in a finals match. Bellamy lost a grand final 40-0. It's too small a sample to say anything about coaching; the sample is so small that luck plays a huge role. But Arthur's record since 2018 has been excellent. In fact, it's been so much better than his record pre-2019 that it's evidence (over a reasonable sample) that our club is much better resourced under the current regime.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It's also not proof that a coach is garbage. Every coach in the game has been flogged in a finals match. Bellamy lost a grand final 40-0. It's too small a sample to say anything about coaching; the sample is so small that luck plays a huge role. But Arthur's record since 2018 has been excellent. In fact, it's been so much better than his record pre-2019 that it's evidence (over a reasonable sample) that our club is much better resourced under the current regime.
It’s not. But it’s no indication that you (or the club) were right either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m warming to Ryles. But blindly claiming he’s the right choice because that’s what the club went with fails to factor human error. Do you still think Kearney was the best choice for us?
Without knowing all the details it's impossible to say otherwise. The club was in decline anyway and that was a huge part of his failure here. Any coach would have failed. Ricky Stuart did (5 wins) and he has won a premiership at a bigger club, so you can't blame him. Kearney also had a much better record at the Warriors, where he even made the finals.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It isn’t. But it’s also not an indication that the club made the right choice. Blindly following the club’s decision is a ridiculous position. They have made many mistakes over the last few decades. Since 2018 there have been multiple premiership winning coaches available and due to our blind faith in BA, we have not gone with them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It isn’t. But it’s also not an indication that the club made the right choice. Blindly following the club’s decision is a ridiculous position. They have made many mistakes over the last few decades. Since 2018 there have been multiple premiership winning coaches available and due to our blind faith in BA, we have not gone with them.
We replaced a premiership winning coach with Brad Arthur and he got better results. Only three coaches have won the comp since 2018 (and one of them will win again this year). The last one before those three just 'failed' to hold onto a finals spot with the Dragons. No I'm not blaming him but plenty would. You know my position, coaches don't win games. His influence over 80 minutes is minimal.

Happy MEel

First Grade
We are one of the best performing clubs in the NRL since 2018, so I think the club is definitely vindicated in keeping Brad Arthur as coach.
Firstly, what metric are you using to come up with that?

Secondly, you’re now on board with the sacking of BA, so why are they now vindicated by sacking him?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Firstly, what metric are you using to come up with that?
Win rate. The second most granular metric. I'd do points differential but I couldn't be bothered working it out. I suspect it would more or less align with win rate though.
Secondly, you’re now on board with the sacking of BA, so why are they now vindicated by sacking him?
We don't yet know if they are vindicated by sacking him. I just assume the information they had supports the decision. Our drop off in form this year was alarming. Last year was attributable to injuries and suspensions but this year we just gave up. Heads needed to roll, and it was Arthur's turn.