What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

possm

Coach
I think you’ll find that the charges themselves would carry more “mud” than the stand down...
I agree, that is why I would like such charges supressed from the media and a close court to hear the case. There will be more than enough time to shame a player found guilty after the verdict. However, in the circumstance where the player is acquitted, there would be no mention in the media and the character of such a player would remain as before the charge.

To me it seems the NRL officials are more about themselves than the reputation of the game as they claim. For is the charges are supressed until after decision has been handed down by the courts, there would be no adverse stories or media reports damaging the game. If the player is found guilty, the focus would be on his guilt and the sentence he would have to serve.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I agree, that is why I would like such charges supressed from the media and a close court to hear the case. There will be more than enough time to shame a player found guilty after the verdict. However, in the circumstance where the player is acquitted, there would be no mention in the media and the character of such a player would remain as before the charge.
So why should an NRL player benefit from this and not the regular bloke on the street?

possm

Coach
So why should an NRL player benefit from this and not the regular bloke on the street?
Over the years there have been many instance of suppression of charge information and closed courts. In most cases this has been because of 'national security' reasons.

I am not advocation that his rule should be for NRL players only. I believe it should be for people who would suffer long term damage to their reputation prior to be found guilty. I also believe that a jury would deliver a better thought out decision if the accused was not tried in the public forum of the media prior to trial.

I would ask the question, who benefits from the public trial of famous people conducted prior to judgement of the courts. My answer is the media, gossip columns and social media to name a few.

TruSaint

Referee

I believe it should be for people who would suffer long term damage to their reputation prior to be found guilty.

Mate, that would be everyone facing charges, pending trials.

Footy players, plumbers, doctors, everyone is covered and all have "reputations".

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Over the years there have been many instance of suppression of charge information and closed courts. In most cases this has been because of 'national security' reasons.
So alleged felonies by NRL players are in the same ballpark as national security issues...

This place just keeps on delivering gold..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And just for the record, most suppression cases either relate to family court cases, or matters where the jury on one case could be influenced by coverage of a case involving the defendant or family of the defendant..

Why the f**k anyone would be suggesting we further wrap players in cotton wool is beyond me..

possm

Coach
And just for the record, most suppression cases either relate to family court cases, or matters where the jury on one case could be influenced by coverage of a case involving the defendant or family of the defendant..

Why the f**k anyone would be suggesting we further wrap players in cotton wool is beyond me..
I'm sure a system of implementing such a scheme can be mapped out in a fair and proper way. The only ones who benefit from the current system are various entities in the media.

How about a petition to a special court requesting such suppression be ruled on prior to charges being laid.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Melissa Perry... You sold us out....
What a miscarriage
of justice...
Shame on you..
Shame, :fearful::cold_sweat::pensive:shame....

Sorry, have to disagree.
After reading through the judgement it was clear that JDB was never going to succeed based on evidence and quoted cases.
They had to prove that the NRL was incorrect, they failed to do that.
Judge Perry really had no other option but to dismiss the complaint.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm sure a system of implementing such a scheme can be mapped out in a fair and proper way. The only ones who benefit from the current system are various entities in the media.

How about a petition to a special court requesting such suppression be ruled on prior to charges being laid.
So change our whole legal system in order to let one or two blokes play football...

Makes perfect sense to me..

possm

Coach
So change our whole legal system in order to let one or two blokes play football...

Makes perfect sense to me..
The only change is the ability to seek suppression through a special court prior to charges being finalised. To me this seems on the face of to be an innocuous measure that is available to all. Make it a short hearing and a same day or next day decision without appeal.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The only change is the ability to seek suppression through a special court prior to charges being finalised. To me this seems on the face of to be an innocuous measure that is available to all. Make it a short hearing and a same day or next day decision without appeal.
I can only assume you are now taking the piss..

You are suggesting a change to the legal system which would provide additional benefit to the privileged..

It’s either a measure for all or a measure for none..

Your measure would result in people being charged with a crime and potentially no-one is made aware of it until sentencing..

Me: “sorry boss, I can’t come in to work today”

Boss: “where are you?”

Me: “jail”

Boss: “when are you coming back in to work?”

Me: “between 3-5 from now”

Boss: “3-5 hours?”

Me: “years”

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Then they shouldn't winge... They could have made the application much earlier.
PS I agree with your sentiment.

The De Belin appeal, as I've observed before, will become the test case that makes him famous for all the wrong reasons (as happened to Dennis Tutty over 50 years ago). What irks me is that De Belin has been abandoned by his union and virtually bankrupted by having to pay costs. The RLPA is in the background watching but not getting involved. This was a retrospective action by the NRL with no union consultation- the NRL's action was high handed and grossly unfair and if the RLPA wasn't going to help him with this fight when would they involve themselves? That's one union I wouldn't have wanted a bar of.
Meanwhile, other codes, are no doubt watching with interest and will update their code of conduct in conjunction with their player associations- something that didn't happen here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts