What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra to move past de Belin saga as McGregor wields the axe
Dragons Den
r0_179_3500_2155_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Welcome return: Korbin Sims. Picture: Anna Warr.

The St George Illawarra Dragons are determined to put the Jack de Belin drama behind them as they prepare to play out the remainder of the regular season without the representative forward.

St George Illawarra had hoped to rush de Belin back into the team for last Sunday's clash with the Knights, however those plans were dashed when Justice Melissa Perry ruled in the NRL's favour in de Belin's challenge of the no-fault stand down policy.

Dragons players have conceded the ruling was a major blow and played a role in the team's poor performance in the 45-12 drubbing, however they accept it's time to move forward.

"It was a real unknown," Injured forward Jeremy Latimore said. "Everyone was hoping he was going to get off and get back out on the field, because he was a massive part of why we played so well last year and we're missing him out on the field.

"But the court ruled in the NRLs favour, which I don't agree with the stand down policy, he's not going to be there now, we have to move on from that. Now other people get opportunities, we need to step up and take the slack from what Jack's not doing because he's not out there and really own our season."

St George Illawarra will have their first opportunity to put last week's disappointment behind them when they host the Sharks at WIN Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

After promising to make changes following the loss in Mudgee, Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named a rejigged backline for the clash.

Zac Lomax has moved to fullback, with Euan Aitken promoted from the bench to the starting centre position. Fullback Matt Dufty was named in the reserves in jumper No.21 alongside winger Mikaele Ravalawa in No.20. Ravalawa has been replaced by Jonus Pearson.

Promising hooker Reece Robson comes on to the bench, while, in perhaps the biggest gain for the side, Korbin Sims will make his return from injury, replacing Josh Kerr on the bench.

St George Illawarra have lacked grunt through the middle of the field in recent weeks, with starting props James Graham and Paul Vaughan asked to play extended minutes to help cover for the absence of de Belin and Sims.

For Graham, Sims' inclusion will provide the side a major boost against the Sharks.

"I've seen what he can do first hand playing against him," Graham said.

"He has a high aggression rate, he's a very tough sub and hopefully he can get himself back this weekend and do the things that everyone's so excited to see him do."

While some have labelled Sunday's loss as the Dragons hitting rock bottom, Graham prefers to look at this situation as a fork in the road, it will either get better or it will get worse.

Graham is confident the team will take the first of those two options.

"We've got two choices really, you can try and make things better or try and make things worse. There's a lot worse you can go. Individually and as a group, we can try and make things better or try and make things worse.

"What I'm seeing is that I know that we're pretty hurt from the performance how we performed on Sunday. We finished our first training session today and everyone's pretty determined to turn it around."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...elin-saga-as-mcgregor-wields-the-axe/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Jeremy Latimore hits out at NRL acting ‘outside CBA’ over Jack de Belin ban
Jack de Belin is said to be “struggling” after he lost his Federal Court case to the NRL, and one Dragons star has taken the governing body to task.

Steve Zemek, AAP
news.com.auMay 21, 20195:13pm
7845206c8b7fa98df96d174a6e482ccf

Jack de Belin’s St George Illawarra teammates have thrown their arms around the suspended back-rower and their support behind a potential players’ union challenge of the NRL’s no-fault stand down rules.

The representative star forward’s future is dangling precariously after the Federal Court last week dismissed his case against the governing body in a bitter blow to his bid to be reinstated.

His lawyers are weighing up an appeal all the while he is battling an aggravated sexual assault charge in Wollongong Local Court.

He has pleaded not guilty, but has been sidelined under the NRL’s hard line stand-down rules, under which any player charged with a serious crime which carries a jail term of 11 years or more can be stood down.

He does have another avenue of recourse in a Rugby League Players’ Association challenge of the stand down rules under the collective bargaining agreement.

The RLPA have flagged a potential challenge and Dragons forward Jeremy Latimore, who sits on the organisation’s board, said he was supportive of the union’s stance.

“A hundred per cent. We’re very disappointed with what happened with Jack,” Latimore said.

“We feel like the NRL has acted outside the realms of the CBA which we agreed upon as players and clubs and the NRL.

edc9f535e9206848c63cf5ac8b083da4

Jeremy Latimore has not held back in his criticism of the NRL.Source:News Corp Australia

“They were reactive to a lot of stuff that wasn’t good enough by players.

“I want to see something done because you don’t want to see your teammate found guilty until proven innocent.”

Dragons prop James Graham also said he was firmly behind de Belin and the RLPA’s challenge.

De Belin will continue training with the side while his criminal case runs its course — which could extend into late next year — and looked positive as he ran with teammates at WIN Stadium on Tuesday.

However Latimore said de Belin was “struggling” with the prospect of sitting out the game for two seasons and his Dragons teammates were supporting him as best they could.

“I understand (the NRL’s) position, they’ve got to act in the best interests of the game,” Latimore said.

51f140e19103199ff4b651f7f924ade7

Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg have taken a hard line stance on player behaviour.Source:News Corp Australia

“But there’s two sides to every story.

“He’s been put on the sideline and he’s struggling. He’s around training but he can’t play. We’re really missing him as a playing group.

“It would be good to get the RLPA and NRL together to work on this. They’ve made a decision but hopefully the RLPA can dispute that.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/j...n/news-story/280f781096758c131f389478b23be186

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin receives Dragons' backing as players association flags challenge to NRL stand down policy
Posted about 6 hours ago

Photo: Jack de Belin's is fighting an aggravated sexual assault charge in Wollongong Local Court. (ABC Illawarra: Renee Sant)

Jack de Belin's St George Illawarra teammates have thrown their arms around the suspended back-rower and their support behind a potential players' union challenge of the NRL's no-fault stand down rules.

Key points:
  • Jack de Belin may have lost his Federal Court challenge to the NRL's no-fault stand down policy, but his teammates are still in his corner
  • The Rugby League Players Association may challenge the rules under their collective bargaining agreement with the league
  • De Belin has been stood down pending the outcome of his aggravated sexual assault case, and he could be out for up to two seasons

The representative star forward's future is dangling precariously after the Federal Court last week dismissed his case against the governing body in a bitter blow to his bid to be reinstated.

His lawyers are weighing up an appeal and all the while he is battling an aggravated sexual assault charge in Wollongong Local Court.

He has pleaded not guilty, but has been sidelined under the NRL's hardline stand-down rules, under which any player charged with a serious crime which carries a jail term of 11 years or more can be stood down.

He does have another avenue of recourse in a Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) challenge of the stand down rules under the collective bargaining agreement (CBA).

The RLPA has flagged a potential challenge and Dragons forward Jeremy Latimore, who sits on the organisation's board, said he was supportive of the union's stance.

"A hundred per cent. We're very disappointed with what happened with Jack," Latimore said.

"We feel like the NRL has acted outside the realms of the CBA which we agreed upon as players and clubs and the NRL.

"They were reactive to a lot of stuff that wasn't good enough by players.

"I want to see something done because you don't want to see your teammate found guilty until proven innocent."

Dragons prop James Graham also said he was firmly behind de Belin and the RLPA's challenge.

Photo: Jack De Belin has played 155 games for the Dragons, but he could be faced with sitting out two full seasons depending on the length of his case. (AAP: Darren Pateman)

De Belin will continue training with the side while his criminal case runs its course — which could extend into late next year — and he looked positive as he ran with teammates in Wollongong on Tuesday.

However Latimore said de Belin was "struggling" with the prospect of sitting out the game for two seasons, and his Dragons teammates were supporting him as best they could.

"I understand [the NRL's] position, they've got to act in the best interests of the game," Latimore said.

"But there's two sides to every story.

"He's been put on the sideline and he's struggling. He's around training but he can't play. We're really missing him as a playing group.

"It would be good to get the RLPA and NRL together to work on this. They've made a decision but hopefully the RLPA can dispute that."

AAP

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...ns-challenge-to-nrl-stand-down-rules/11135310

The Damo

Juniors
I'm not talking about the recent case. Your presumption is wrong.
My apologies for misunderstanding. I thought it seemed that you were labelling the possibility that Jacks situation would effect potential sponsors as speculation, and that is the type of speculation that recently was found credible.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My apologies for misunderstanding. I thought it seemed that you were labelling the possibility that Jacks situation would effect potential sponsors as speculation, and that is the type of speculation that recently was found credible.
No need to apologise.

I believe the post in question mentioned TPAs. I am not aware of Saints having any sponsorship problems, unless something has changed. Do we have sponsors pulling out? TPAs etc?

I'd like to see a source for that, otherwise it's just more speculation.

The 'potential sponsor' argument is also speculation. Sorry, but I'm not willing to jump down that rabbit hole. I know some are doing so, and it's their choice. But I'm steering clear of the madhouse.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
If it goes down the dispute process path the RLPA are stating from experience don't expect this to be resolved any time before the criminal case.

Good faith discussions can take many months before they can be escalated to the next level if an agreement can't be made.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Threads merged... again.

We are trying to keep this all in the one thread. If someone starts a new thread, it would be appreciated if other members help out by reporting it - just say 'same topic' as the reason.

That way it will be seen by a mod and acted on. Discussing the OP's mistake in the open forum doesn't alert the mods to anything.

Thanks to those who already work with the moderators in what is essentially your forum.

Cheers.

https://apple.news/A_SbXZfBSSr2tIXIRtQ8-9Q

Hopefully rlpa wins !!!! Cmon latimore never thought I’d be cheering him on lol
I commend the RLPA for supporting their members. However, paragraphs [45]-[103] of the Honourable Justice Perry's Judgement settled the issue of the contractual regime between the ARLC, the NRL, the Clubs, and the Players quite well. As such, I don't think the RLPA has standing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-29/jack-de-belin-facing-more-charges-over-alleged-rape/11159636

Jack de Belin hit with more charges over alleged Wollongong rape
By Kelly Fuller

St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack de Belin has had two additional charges laid against him over the alleged joint rape of a young woman in Wollongong.
Mr de Belin and Shellharbour Sharks player Callan Sinclair were arrested and charged with aggravated sexual intercourse without consent following an alleged incident at a Wollongong apartment last year.
The alleged 19-year-old victim claims the assault occurred in the early hours of Sunday December 9.
Both men have pleaded not guilty.
In court today two additional charges were laid against de Belin, relating to the same alleged victim.
De Belin was sidelined under the NRL's new stand-down rules where any player charged with a serious indictable offences carrying a jail term of more than 11 years is banned from playing.
If found guilty, the former NSW State of Origin forward could face a custodial sentence of up to 20 years.
De Belin unsuccessfully challenged the NRL's policy in the Federal Court.
The Federal Court ruled the NRL's policy was necessary to protect the legitimate interests of the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and the NRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts