What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings to the Roosters?

SMH are reporting $2m deal over 4 years with the roosters.

So hopefully we have saved somewhere around the 500K mark. At least in 2014 & 2015.

The Sydney Roosters have signed centre Michael Jennings on a four-year deal after he was granted a release from his final three years at the Penrith Panthers on Tuesday.
After weeks of negotiations, Jennings has finally put pen to paper with the Roosters on a deal believed to be worth $2 million for the next four years.
“The Roosters have a talented roster and I'm excited to have joined the team," Jennings said.
"I have met with Trent Robinson and am looking forward to getting to know my new teammates, getting stuck into training, working hard and playing alongside guys like Mitchell Pearce, who I have already played with at Origin level.”
Advertisement
The Panthers released a statement announcing the release.
"The Panthers thank Michael for his contribution to the club and wish him all the best for his future," general manager Phil Moss said. "Out of respect for the Roosters and Michael, the Panthers will make no further comment on this matter."

Jennings is a great player to have if you have serious people in the 9,7,6 &1.

We need that before we need jennings.

I realise plenty are dissapointed in the way the club has handled this , but honestly sometimes it takes things like this to mop up the past mistakes.

darkbloom

Juniors
SMH are reporting $2m deal over 4 years with the roosters.

So hopefully we have saved somewhere around the 500K mark. At least in 2014 & 2015.

Jennings is a great player to have if you have serious people in the 9,7,6 &1.

We need that before we need jennings.

I realise plenty are dissapointed in the way the club has handled this , but honestly sometimes it takes things like this to mop up the past mistakes.

Yes it has been exceptionally well handled since it started some 18 months ago.

It is really good that the current administration can blame the previous administration for the next 2 years - at least that is how far into the future they have projected before we the wrongs of the past will be eradicated.

Never heard anything like it in RL.

The one thing Gould is, is a great salesman - at least for a while.

rem286

Juniors
Another long, unsuccessful season may be ahead. Oh well, there is always GWS to support :?

darkbloom

Juniors
LOL just heard Brandy say to a caller on 2UE with some confidence:

Don't worry, we won't run last this year.

He's a Board member!! WTF - how much confidence does he have in the where we are going. Inspirational.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Never worth his contract.

I've never been a fan of his attitude in any case to be honest.

He always never got himself involved in the play and relied on everyone else to get him involved. That isn't worth 650-800k per year.

As for Zac Mackay, I am confident more is going to come out about his release...it wasn't for nothing. And I laugh at people calling him a superstar on social media. Child please...he may only be a handy first grader IF THAT. People overstate his value based on one game vs a shit Titans team.

Lets see what they do with the money and lets see who play's centre in the trials. We may be in for a surprise there potentially.

rem286

Juniors

He always never got himself involved in the play and relied on everyone else to get him involved. That isn't worth 650-800k per year.

As for Zac Mackay, I am confident more is going to come out about his release...it wasn't for nothing. And I laugh at people calling him a superstar on social media. Child please...he may only be a handy first grader IF THAT. People overstate his value based on one game vs a shit Titans team.

Lets see what they do with the money and lets see who play's centre in the trials. We may be in for a surprise there potentially.

I totally agree with you on Jennings, poor attitude and only gets involved when he wants too, more disappointed with the way it was handled. Hurts even more that Walsh and Tighe got contract extensions (personally wouldn't pay Walsh with peanuts).

mxlegend99

Referee
I guess if Gould lands the players he wants later on down the road it's alright.

Still it's a bit tough for the fans.
Yeah we will sign Thurston for 2014 and have to offload Grant, McKendry, Coote and Mansour to make it happen.

Atleast that has been the case with any of our other signings. Even the poor ones are at the expense of good players. :crazy:

lsta5838

Juniors
Well I guess where there is smoke there is fire...

Would have been nice to get a bit more info from the offical release. Some sort of reassurance to the fans about the direction of the club (after losing Lewis, Gordon and now Jennings...).

There was the report a few months ago that one more star would have to leave, so I guess this is it.

Hopefully there will be some positives in the near future from the club!

Pantherjim.

Referee

Not worth his contract, I agree.

Plays poorly for us on 650-800k a year, consequently not worth retaining I agree.

But then Murphys law turns agound and gives us a savage kick up the arse when Jenko has a blinder with the Roosters for the next four seasons while we stumble around in mediocrity with QLD cup nobodies.

It's happened before.

I only hope that you're right BM!

Mobs

Juniors
I have a sneaking suspicion the Panthers have paid out his full contract for the 2013 season and he has accepted a release with no ongoing top up.

So whilst its an entirely new contract, if you average it out over the course of his new roosters contract he'd be earning 650K (500K from roosters).

All pure speculation.

franklin2323

Immortal
I've never been a fan of his attitudeHe always never got himself involved in the play and relied on everyone else to get him involved. That isn't worth 650-800k per year.
My issue is the timing.

Ignoring Folau as he was unexpected. We have only 1 recognised half Walsh in the squad. That is it. We could of got a more balanced squad and a decent centre and had money left over.

I struggle to see where our points will come from this year. Our good backrow can't do it all

He's a centre getting halves money. No way he could be live up to that price tag. He will go well this year as he will get plenty of quality ball. Something we don't do.

Assuming we gave him his last chance before the Tigers game in 11. Why not tear his contract up after the off field crap last year?

Same result yet we don't pay a cent and can try and replace him.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Am I the only one who finds it surprising that the Roosters have lazy $500,000 to spend three weeks out from the start of the season?

Big Mick

Referee
Gus has said on 2UE we are contributing this season but that is it after that.

So guys...do the math for 2014:
- Jennings $800k
- Kingston $220k
- Newton $125k
- Simmons $70k
- Galea $70k
- Ciraldo $70k
- Weston $150k

That's roughly $1.5m in cap space...before other players aren't re-signed and BEFORE any FUTURE cap increase...

That is a LOT of cash to spend to bring in all the additional pieces we may need to be successful which to be honest is only a 7 and then just bring up young kids to develop around him.

THAT way we have enough in reserve to re-sign these kids to appropriate contracts going forward.

Glad I'm in Europe and won't have to watch 2013. Lost our 3 best players. James Robberts will be the only thing worth getting excited about

soc123_au

Staff member
We would have had to pay something this year as pre season has started. If the deal does mean it has zero effect on our cap from 2014 and beyond then it isn't as bad. This year the cap savings won't help anyway. Now to put Mckendry on notice that if he doesn't step up then he is next.

Big Mick

Referee
Does it suck...yeah it does.

Is it bad we have lost our three best players...yeah it is.

But damn that Jennings contract was toxic and needed to go.

Both Luke and Michael are getting on in years and were able to find better opportunities elsewhere and good on them and I wish them the best.

We brought in guys who I personally think can contribute right now and some may need some developing to bring out their full potential i.e. Pangai & O'Donnell.

But after this year I think we are better placed to build a sustainable team

Last edited:

Latest posts