What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings

darkbloom

Juniors
If Jennings is on 600-700k, and we can probably fairly assume this is not an isolated inflated contract, and we know we have no 3rd party arrangements easing cap pressure, it's probably fair to assume Gus and Ivan have inherited a mess.

I don't like them making excuses either, but the fact is the club has been run like crap for most of its existence and if it takes 2 years of rubbish performances for someone to actually address the problems rather than paper over them, I'm onboard.

It all smacks of BS to me.

Assume is the most apt word you use. We are all assuming stuff. You assume that In Gus We Trust is the right mantra. I assume that it is not.

There is a history that I think supports my cynicism.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Whare is to replace Gordon, Mansour the other winger while Jennings and Uaisele to be centers..

1.Coote, 2.Mansour, 3.Jennings, 4.Whare, 5.Uaisele

If Jennings goes which i highly doubt Daniela would jump in to 3.

Whare was signed as a starting centre hence the attraction to sign for Penrith over the possibility of wing/centre at Manly.

mxlegend99

Referee
If we keep Jenko our backline for 2013 looks pretty handy. With Geoff Daniela being at the top of the list for injuries. If Coote goes down I want to see Mansour at fullback before Whare and Daniela on the wing. There's just so many similarities between Mansour and Flash that I expect he could also kill it in first grade at fullback :)

Big Mick

Referee
If we keep Jenko our backline for 2013 looks pretty handy. With Geoff Daniela being at the top of the list for injuries. If Coote goes down I want to see Mansour at fullback before Whare and Daniela on the wing. There's just so many similarities between Mansour and Flash that I expect he could also kill it in first grade at fullback :)

I said the same thing after the kid debuted. He runs so much like Flash and comes into grade with the same rep.

He was a really good fullback for North Sydney...so no doubt he'd be a good player at FB as well.

As of now however, he's a going great at winger and that shouldn't change unless injuries occur. And if they do, I'd be more tempted to put Moylan in there.

But overall...for Flash's money so far we have got 4. Whare, 5. Mansour and still got some of that $300k left to spend. I think they are doing a reasonable job in utilising their cap space right now in signing Whare and Lewis Brown.

Big Mick

Referee
And if Jenko was to go, Whare imo is just as good potentially.

Is he as explosive offensively...no. But will he do his job in defense? Absolutely. Will he be able to create for himself AND others...absolutely. There are two areas of advantage over Jenko already. He'd also be $500k cheaper...Just sayin.

franklin2323

Immortal
Unless we can get 90% of Jennings contract it's not worth releasing him. We can't afford to pay part of his contract over the 3 remaining years without having him play for us. Whare gives us some spark on the other side & will help us in the long run.

betcats

Referee
If he is picked up by another club does the full difference of what they are paying of his contract count against our cap for the full length of the contract?

Big Mick

Referee
If he is picked up by another club does the full difference of what they are paying of his contract count against our cap for the full length of the contract?

Yep Pretty much if his cap number with us at the moment is $600k, and then another team gets him for $300k, for the length of the contract with us he is charged at $300k.

Big Mick

Referee
Here is an interesting experiment. What would u prefer. Keep Jennings & his brothers - But he eats up $600k at least on the cap going forward. Lose Jennings & maybe lose his brothers, retain $150k on the cap, sign Sika Manu for $400k. What would you prefer...

franklin2323

Immortal
Well that is what he is going to cost. So it is either that or nothing. My preference would be to sign Martin Taupau & Ukuma Ta'ai and retain Jennings.

Paying $150k towards Jennings. With him not here is like paying overs for Whare or Manu. For 1 year yeah but no 3. So keep him work with him to sort out the problems. Get Ta'ai then recruitment done. Then re-sign our lower graders.

abpanther

Staff member
The thing with Jennings is you're not just losing Michael, you then lose his younger brothers too.

I agree with franklin, we should try to work something out if we can and also try to move some of his salary into 3rd party deals

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd much rather us keep Jenko then sign Sika Manu. Just because keeping him increases our chances at keeping his brothers, and if we give him space he's as dangerous as any centre in the NRL. If we can get him the ball in space he'll look far more worthy of the money he's getting. He's still ridiculously overpaid, but he shouldn't be punished for our old management being that desperate to keep him.

Fibroman

First Grade
Why would we sign sicko Manu when we have 3 of the best young front rowers in the game with Grant, Slammer and Dane Weston.

Panfas

Juniors
Rumour on the Grill Team this morning is a direct swap - Jennings > Rabbits and Farrell > Panthers. Hope it is not true and just a rumour