What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith

Stranger

Coach
TBH, id rather we spent some of the money on Cross. He is definately a worth keeping, obviously not on the 400k he was reportedly on but he is the best prop in the club. And if there is no one else on the market??? This is after ive been one of his biggest critics...

Serc

First Grade
Yep - keeping Cross is now more or less a must (regardless of what you think of him), but surely he will go chasing the bigger $$$ on offer elsewhere.

We need to understand that we signed three very exciting talents in O'Donnell, Liki Liki and Henry. Luring them away from their clubs would have required some pretty decent offers. Costigan is in the best form of his career. We can build a winning culture and don't forget that Mullen will be a major target by other clubs as well for 2012. He won't be retained for less than he is on now. His form is back and he is absolutely killing it. I actually would rather us adopt the current 'Arsenal' type recruitment where we sign top young talents and develop them into tomorrows stars. Stoney may well find his mark with bringing the kids through. There is always more than one way to success. If we can show the top line Toyota cup players that Newy is a place where they get a shot to prove themselves many more will follow. I am certain of it. Henry and Mullen will carve it up in 2011. Keep the faith.

We need to understand that we signed three very exciting talents in O'Donnell, Liki Liki and Henry. Luring them away from their clubs would have required some pretty decent offers. Costigan is in the best form of his career. We can build a winning culture and don't forget that Mullen will be a major target by other clubs as well for 2012. He won't be retained for less than he is on now. His form is back and he is absolutely killing it. I actually would rather us adopt the current 'Arsenal' type recruitment where we sign top young talents and develop them into tomorrows stars. Stoney may well find his mark with bringing the kids through. There is always more than one way to success. If we can show the top line Toyota cup players that Newy is a place where they get a shot to prove themselves many more will follow. I am certain of it. Henry and Mullen will carve it up in 2011. Keep the faith.

O'Donnell, Liki Liki and Henry. - 1 game of first grade between them.

Costigan - Agreed, but its really only the last few weeks his been spectacular and lets hope he doesnt go back to his Canberra days.....

Mullen - Has had 2 decent games after god knows how many years of being ordinary.

I'd like to be excited but I just cant.

Bicey_18

Bench
Well its official.. he is off to Cronulla.

Unbelievable... the fact he would choose a club who is on the brink of extinction over us. F*ckin Cronulla!!!! Who are destined to be bottom feeders for the next decade..

For whatever reason, players dont want to come here. I dont expect any more signings..

Bicey_18

Bench
I dont think its so much the disappointment of missing out on Smith.. its missing out on players in general.

How many times have we been linked to players and came down to a 2 horse race (Mason, O'Donnell, Smith) and always get 2nd place. Its getting ridiculous. And especially who they chose over us.. Cronulla? Cowboys? Huddersfield? All clubs who are alot worse than us...

Why is it that we cannot sign any big name players????? Yet Brisbane, Bulldogs, Penrith, Titans, Souths, Dragons, Roosters.. basically the rest of the teams have no problems getting players.

I think that's the most frustrating thing.... seeing every other team pick up 'name' players and we get left with nothing.

whistler

Juniors
O'Donnell, Liki Liki and Henry. - 1 game of first grade between them.

I'd like to be excited but I just cant.

I think the recruitment of these young guys,along with producing local talent, is the we are going to have stars in our team. I personally like this approach and i'm excited by what i've seen in each of these guys. Top NYC talent,especially backs, have a pretty good record of doing well in the NRL. Remember there was a time when Lockyer,Thurston etc were rookies and had no first grade experience.

Alex28

Coach
I dont think its so much the disappointment of missing out on Smith.. its missing out on players in general.

How many times have we been linked to players and came down to a 2 horse race (Mason, O'Donnell, Smith) and always get 2nd place. Its getting ridiculous. And especially who they chose over us.. Cronulla? Cowboys? Huddersfield? All clubs who are alot worse than us...

Why is it that we cannot sign any big name players????? Yet Brisbane, Bulldogs, Penrith, Titans, Souths, Dragons, Roosters.. basically the rest of the teams have no problems getting players.

I think that's the most frustrating thing.... seeing every other team pick up 'name' players and we get left with nothing.

Cronulla - player doesn't have to move yet gets the same cash as he would here
Cowboys - player doesn't have to live in the bubble that is Newcastle where his every move will be watched and speculated on
Huddersafield - Cash. A lot of cash.

You are blaming the club for missing players that there are many reasons besides our offer that they did not come.

Can people please accept that solid recruitment can not be done in one year and that we will take a few years to get to where we want to be?

Serc

First Grade
Knights miss out on Smith
BY ROBERT DILLON
11 Aug, 2010 04:00 AM

ON a day when the Newcastle Knights lost one of their all-time greats to retirement, the man earmarked as his replacement knocked them back to sign with struggling Cronulla.Club stalwart Steve Simpson confirmed yesterday that he was hanging up the boots, effective immediately, after conceding a chronic knee injury would prevent him returning to the field.
Off contract at the end of this season, Simpson’s decision was no great surprise given that he is 30 and has played only eight games this season.
Knights officials have spent recent months scouring the marketplace for an established back-rower capable of inheriting his jumper next season.
After unsuccessful attempts to recruit for Willie Mason (Cowboys), Trevor Thurling (Canberra) and Luke O’Donnell (Cowboys), they set their sights on St George Illawarra enforcer Jeremy Smith.
But despite offering Smith a three-season deal reportedly worth $300,000 a year, the Kiwi Test star decided yesterday to accept an equally lucrative deal with the Sharks.
It is understood Smith is happy living in Wollongong, where he has recently finished renovating his house, and would prefer to commute each day to the Shire for training sessions rather than having to relocate his young family.
Knights coach Rick Stone said Newcastle had ‘‘put in a fair price’’ for Smith but ‘‘for whatever reason’’ the 25-year-old chose Cronulla.
Stone said Newcastle would continue searching for a player capable of bolstering their pack.
‘‘We’re still after a good forward, a bloke who is going to bring some experience and toughness and competitiveness to our ranks,’’ Stone said. ‘‘That’s what we’ve been looking for, for sure.
‘‘I’m not too concerned . . . we’re confident something is going to fall for us, but we’ve just got to keep working through the process.’’
The rejection by Smith was a blow for the Knights, especially considering Cronulla’s dismal record over the past two years.
The Sharks are the NRL’s worst-performed team since the start of last season, having won 10 of their 44 games.
With five wins from 20 games this year, they are ahead of only discredited salary cap cheats Melbourne on the competition table.
Smith’s decision leaves his Dragons teammate Neville Costigan as the only established first-grader confirmed as a Newcastle recruit for next season.
The Knights have also signed three National Youth Cup players, Beau Henry (Dragons), Kyle O’Donnell (Sharks) and Siuatonga Likiliki (Warriors).
They recently picked up former Test prop Antonio Kaufusi from North Queensland for the rest of this season and a further two years.
It is understood the Knights had considered another Kiwi international, Leeds lock Greg Eastwood, as a possible target if their Smith offer fell through. But Eastwood appears headed to the Bulldogs if they can negotiate a transfer fee.
Newcastle have veterans Adam MacDougall and Ben Cross off contract and it remains to be seen if the club will re-sign either or both.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/knights-miss-out-on-smith/1909525.aspx

Johns Magic

Referee
"But despite offering Smith a three-season deal reportedly worth $300,000 a year, the Kiwi Test star decided yesterday to accept an equally lucrative deal with the Sharks."

Thank Christ for that

‘‘I’m not too concerned . . . we’re confident something is going to fall for us, but we’ve just got to keep working through the process.’’

Who's left Rick?

Noname36

First Grade
LOD is the best player of that lot by a fair margin.

I'm more looking at it from a value for money perspective. On his day, i'd have LOD over Nev too. However imo Costigan is just beginning to reach his peek. I think we're signing him at a really good time. Smith and LOD would have been risks at their age. They're all good players, but I feel that while Costigan still has his best footy in front of him, LOD and Smith have past theirs.

Saying that though, Costigan + LOD would have been ideal. Was never really that for the Smith signing (at the price being thrown around).

Just on Eastwood, haven't the Dogs already flat out said that they can't afford him with the transfer fee?

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
The bloke isn't worth 300k a year, I mean we're getting Costigan for reportedly about 220k a year or there abouts and TBH I rate Costigan alot more than I rate Smith. Also Costigan despite being more experienced is 5 years younger
Also I wish the herald would get their research right, he's NOT 25, he's 30 and has played less than 100 1st grade games, also I cannot recall him ever having back to back 100m+ games, infact he averages less than 70m a game this season. Quite simply Smith would have been another Kirk Reynoldsen IMO

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm more looking at it from a value for money perspective. On his day, i'd have LOD over Nev too. However imo Costigan is just beginning to reach his peek. I think we're signing him at a really good time. Smith and LOD would have been risks at their age. They're all good players, but I feel that while Costigan still has his best footy in front of him, LOD and Smith have past theirs.

LOD's in awesome form this year. He's wound back the clock.

Saying that though, Costigan + LOD would have been ideal. Was never really that for the Smith signing (at the price being thrown around).

Costigan and LOD would have been perfect.

Just on Eastwood, haven't the Dogs already flat out said that they can't afford him with the transfer fee?

Didn't the Broncos say a similar thing about upping their offer to Inglis? Lo and behold...

Rolla

Juniors
Some real whingers on here. Smith would have been a dud signing....especially at 300k. Our already solid backrow stocks have been bolstered perfectly by an in form rep backrower and a brilliant prospect... Perfect imo.

Costigan was also outsstanding at prop recently.

Eastwood would be great but we will see what happens there.

Im quite happy with our recruitment this year tbh. All good signings so far, As the last couple of weeks have shown our problem has been more our form than our roster. The only question mark for next year might be a real meter eating prop but tbh i dont think that is as crucial as everyone here seems to think if we retain Cross.

Crossy is a MUST imo.

aqua_duck

Coach
We have a decent backrow rotation already with:
Taia
Hilder
Paterson
O'Donnell
Mika
Costigan
Tetevano
Cook
Ciraldo

signing Smith for 300k a year for 3 years would have been unnecessary and a big waste of money. I honestly rate Taia, Paterson and Costigan higher than Smith and it would not suprise me if a guy like O'Donnell will be a better player than Smith in 2 years

Rolla

Juniors
Aqua i dunno if Ciraldo adds to that list or detracts from it but you are spot on...

Throw in that Mark T looks his best at lock and there is a chance of Housten returning. Plus Rogers will likely fill a bench spot and come in at Lock or back row.