What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jersey Flegg 2007 season

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
Penrith will be tough to beat.

Im pretty worried. We lost the final of this years Ball and Mat's, after winning them both last year. I just have a feeling Flegg, even though they are easily the best team will somehow not win the comp. Hope i am wrong though! Eels and Dogs will be the strong contenders.

roopy

Referee
Penrith play the Knights this week.
The Knights have had a funny season.
They won 6 of their first 7 with a narrow loss to Canberra in Canberra the only blemish - then someone decided all the guys with a firstgrade future needed to spend time bulking up and the best 5 or 6 players were 'rested' for 10 rounds while they hit the gym - and the team had two wins out of 10 games, and those against the bottom 2 sides.
Since the good players came back they lost the first game and now have three wins in a row including a win over Parra.
The forward pack is close to as good as last year.
The backs are close to as good as last year.
The big problem is we have no one in the halves anywhere near the quality of Walsh and Dureau - who are both showing how good they are in firstgrade.

Anyway - If Penrith think they are in for an easy win on Sunday - they might have a bit of a shock.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
roopy said:
Anyway - If Penrith think they are in for an easy win on Sunday - they might have a bit of a shock.

Penrith wont put there best side on the park. They are chopping and changing a fair bit to try and find the best combination for the finals. With the minor premiership secure, i expect this to continue. Alot of players have also been rested or being promoted to PL for experience.

Be interesting to see what they name this week.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Panther_Daz said:
Penrith wont put there best side on the park. They are chopping and changing a fair bit to try and find the best combination for the finals. With the minor premiership secure, i expect this to continue. Alot of players have also been rested or being promoted to PL for experience.

Be interesting to see what they name this week.

I was wrong, Penrith have named the best side possible, without captain Jarrod Sammut. Whether thats the team that runs out on Sunday arvo is another thing.

Andy Raymond just said on Fox that Penrith's Flegg team was the best he has seen in 10 years. The thing is, he saw them yesterday without a host of regulars.

girvie

Staff member
Panther_Daz said:
Andy Raymond just said on Fox that Penrith's Flegg team was the best he has seen in 10 years. The thing is, he saw them yesterday without a host of regulars.

How much Flegg do you think Andy Raymond watches?

I'm sure i've seen many more games.

roopy

Referee
Panther_Daz said:
I was wrong, Penrith have named the best side possible, without captain Jarrod Sammut. Whether thats the team that runs out on Sunday arvo is another thing.

The Knights best forward, Jacob Ling, is out - but otherwise a full strength Knights side.
As i said earlier - the difference between this years Knights side and last years is that we had a halves pairing last season that have both since cracked firstgrade to rave reviews and this year our halves are rubbish - but it is a very strong side now that it is back to fullstrength.

Knights side;

1. Jacob Jenkinson - the best junior fullback for the Knights since Robbie Ross - he played for Aus at under 14 level and played for Raymond Terrace firstgrade in the Newcastle comp after Ball last season and was a star at that level. He has had a lot of this season in the gym instead of playing and is now a ball of muscle. Plays a bit like Lockyer - a playmaking fullback.
  2. Mat Cooper - NSW u17s winger and part of our flegg side last season - another who has had a lot of time off to train this season. A big and hardrunning winger.
  3. Simon Williams - kid who came down from Inverell and scored 14 tries in ball this season (9 games). He was playing firstgrade in the Newcastle comp after Ball and impressed so much he was brought back for Flegg.
  4. Callan Richardson - NSW u 17s captain last year - another who has been in the gym most of this season
  5. Brian Clarke - has played for the Fiji national side
  6. Ben Wyborn - up from Ball for the last 3 or 4 games
  7. Joel Brown - played for Aus schoolboys as a hooker last season and was a 5/8 last year - rubbish kicker but very good runner of the ball - plays a lot like his older brother Riley.
  8. Joel Edwards - huge ginger headed prop from Cessnock having his first year in Flegg - punishing tackler
  9. Tyne Owen - nsw u19 hooker
  10. Warren Schillings - big and hardworking forward who was a benchie last season
  11. Lucas Miller - signed by the storm for next season - has played for NSW u17s and u19s - the rarest of all breeds, a playmaking forward (must be a Miller thing)
  12. Scott Dobbins - nsw under 17 and u19 player - honest and hardworking forward
  13. Brodie Hardman - our new Billy Peden - the guy who puts his hand up when no one else will.
Interchange:
  1. Blake Gallen
  2. Hayden Jeans
  3. Jon Tupou
  4. Todd Hurrell
  5. Matthew Cook
  6. Ryan Stig
  7. Jason Schirnack
  8. Beau Simpson
  9. Tyren Mundine
  10. Mark Farrar

roopy

Referee
Interesting that Penrith have two ex-Knights, Hlad and Apthorpe.
I always liked Hlad's attitude, but i think it is fair to say neither of them would have made the Knights squad this season. A change of clubs can do wonders sometimes.

roopy

Referee
Penrith won 24-22 Newcastle.
Not that impressive at all.
Newcastle fullback Jenkinson was a late withdrawal and fill in fullback Matt Cooper 'gifted' them at least 2 and maybe 3 tries with spilt kicks.
The Penrith forwards are soft except for Hlad, who is much stronger than last season, but still doesn't know what 'pass the ball' means.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith forwards are far from soft, i dont know how many times you have seen them this year, but im assuming its far less than me. They might of just had a bad day in the wet. A soft pack of forwards havent taken us to a lead in the competition by 7 points.

roopy

Referee
Panther_Daz said:
Penrith forwards are far from soft, i dont know how many times you have seen them this year, but im assuming its far less than me. They might of just had a bad day in the wet. A soft pack of forwards havent taken us to a lead in the competition by 7 points.
soft compared to the Knights - not in the same league.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Ok mate, we are 15 points ahead of your blokes on the table though, but we arent in the same league? Come on mate

We have dominated every forward pack this year, but we arent as good as yours and are soft? Our forwards have been excellent this year, and judging by what you are saying they were poor today, yet we still won.

The forward pack is very close to our SG Ball premiership pack from last year, they were excellent then also.

roopy

Referee
Panther_Daz said:
Ok mate, we are 15 points ahead of your blokes on the table though, but we arent in the same league? Come on mate

We have dominated every forward pack this year, but we arent as good as yours and are soft? Our forwards have been excellent this year, and judging by what you are saying they were poor today, yet we still won.

The forward pack is very close to our SG Ball premiership pack from last year, they were excellent then also.
The only guy you have worth a pinch of sh*t couldn't get a bench spot at the Knights last year unless others were injured.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Keep bagging us mate, you did the same thing before the GF last year.

Penrith are on 41 points, Knights are on 26. End of discussion.

roopy

Referee
Panther_Daz said:
Keep bagging us mate, you did the same thing before the GF last year.

Penrith are on 41 points, Knights are on 26. End of discussion.
be afraid - be very afraid - you have nothing except a bunch of touch footy players.

yappy

Bench
someone got an updated table?

Wests can still be a threat to some of the higher placed teams in this comp. We're focusing our energies on Flegg now so Dunley, Rysko and the rest with plenty of Premiers experience make us a much more formidable proposition than mid-season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Jersey Flegg Round 23
Balmain 46
North Sydney 16

Bulldogs 26
Parramatta 12

Central Coast 22
Manly Warringah 12

Western Suburbs 38
Cronulla Sutherland 18