What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Rooster8

Juniors
I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but I’ve been curious about this for a long time.

How much do suppliers pay clubs to be their manufacture? I know it varys from league to comp and team. We already know Adidas’s sum for Man Utd and Nike’s for the whole NFL comp.

But how much would ISC pay their large sum of teams in the AFL and NRL to be their manufacture? 100’s of thousands? Millions? How much did dynastic sports pay Titans, or x blades to St George and Cronulla.

Additionally, how much do you think Nike or Adidas would pay lower division teams such as English championship or division 1/2 teams in the UK or college teams in the US? Or even in the A-League.

I’ve always been curious because I guess they’d receive this cost back either though supporter gear sales and/ or advertising and branding.

Would love to hear everyone’s opinions.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Souths were the only club that were not invited or courted by superleague at all
Yeh. There was real hate there for souths on the news limited side.

Slightly off topic. But when souths got the boot they would barely get 4K to their home games and were playing awful footy. But once the axe fell suddenly 100k fans turned up to protest. That always baffled me. Seemed like they could have turned up earlier.

Last edited:

Slightly off topic. But when souths got the boot they would barely get 4K to their home games and were playing awful footy. But once the axe fell suddenly 100k fans turned up to protest. That always baffled me. Seemed like they could have turned up earlier.

wasn't just souths fans who went. it was the principal.
they lined souths up to get the punt. under their own criteria they didn't even come last but..whatever

souths were a shambles in the early 90s and behind the times and it showed on the field.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know it will never happen but if somehow the NRL could get a similar deal with Nike like the NFL has they would clean up financially. They manage to keep the designs of NFL jerseys clean and traditional and their off field gear is sensational.

Id like to see a centralised design deal put in place for a few reasons...

Collectively bargaining the merch rights to an exclusive seller would probably add a premium value to them, the NRL could establish an oversight to ensure quality-control and the NRL could even look to establish their own brand (something like NRLBrand or NRLGear, following the template of NRLFilm/NRLShop/etc)

If the brand takes off, the NRL could look at taking production in-house and opening their own sports gear company. Easy advertising platform (the most watched sport in the country) and i imagine a big potential revenue source. I know there is a lot of money in licensing, but surely there is more in directly selling.

(It would also be a very easy means of community charity and PR. Give out free kits/gear to Aussie local teams or teams in emerging nations. Get the NRL brand there early and i think the good-will would stick)

And if they dont want to go into in-house production, the famous NRLGear would just be another asset to license out each year...

thorson1987

Coach
I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, but I’ve been curious about this for a long time.

How much do suppliers pay clubs to be their manufacture? I know it varys from league to comp and team. We already know Adidas’s sum for Man Utd and Nike’s for the whole NFL comp.

But how much would ISC pay their large sum of teams in the AFL and NRL to be their manufacture? 100’s of thousands? Millions? How much did dynastic sports pay Titans, or x blades to St George and Cronulla.

Additionally, how much do you think Nike or Adidas would pay lower division teams such as English championship or division 1/2 teams in the UK or college teams in the US? Or even in the A-League.

I’ve always been curious because I guess they’d receive this cost back either though supporter gear sales and/ or advertising and branding.

Would love to hear everyone’s opinions.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article195996949.html

Pretty sure the college deals are for all sports aswell, not just Basketball or Football.

But it wasn't just Souths fans that turned up to march against SL - it was fans of mostly ARL sides that were p*ssed off at the way the game was being run. The marches were both organised by Souths and the majority of the fans were Souths fans but there was a lot of other clubs fans that protested.

sempmrh

Juniors

Collectively bargaining the merch rights to an exclusive seller would probably add a premium value to them, the NRL could establish an oversight to ensure quality-control and the NRL could even look to establish their own brand (something like NRLBrand or NRLGear, following the template of NRLFilm/NRLShop/etc)

If the brand takes off, the NRL could look at taking production in-house and opening their own sports gear company. Easy advertising platform (the most watched sport in the country) and i imagine a big potential revenue source. I know there is a lot of money in licensing, but surely there is more in directly selling.

(It would also be a very easy means of community charity and PR. Give out free kits/gear to Aussie local teams or teams in emerging nations. Get the NRL brand there early and i think the good-will would stick)

And if they dont want to go into in-house production, the famous NRLGear would just be another asset to license out each year...

That’s basically what the NBL has done within the last year. For the two seasons prior to this one the league was entirely outfitted by Mitchell and Ness. They’ve now created their own brand called First Ever and in addition to supplying the apparel for all teams they’re also an overpriced street wear label. The less said about their street wear the better - but I’m not the target market for that so whatever.

First Ever’s on court gear is identical to last year’s Mitchell and Ness stuff so I suspect whoever made the gear last year on Mitchell and Ness’ behalf partnered with the NBL directly. They also do teamwear for junior teams and supposedly give a better deal than competitors.

The problem with doing everything in house though is that everything feels very same-y. That happens to a degree in the NRL with ISC having deals with basically half the league but it’s different when it’s the entire league. For what it’s worth, though - the NBL jerseys might all be sublimated (no embroidery or patches like you would see on NBA jerseys) but the quality is pretty decent. No cheaper than Mitchell and Ness, however.

thorson1987

Coach
Supporter NFL jerseys aren't that great on warm days either. My Cowboys alternate burns like a motherf**ker with the polyester and the plastic numbering, whereas NRL supporter jerseys are much more comfortable.

unforgiven

Bench
NFL jerseys look pretty good.. but their isnt much to their design ..most are just a solid block colour.. large numbers, and maybe a stripe.. on the sleeve..

Pretty hard to stuff up
I don't know about that?
ap_buccaneers_rams_football_78354628.jpg

Bills-Jets-Color-Rush-Colorblind-view.jpg

They are some pretty big stuff ups!
AeCKqi

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
20 years ago yes... now they don't even have an NRL contract.

Not sure what you mean? I was saying in the US they have and still do put in way more work than they ever did here. Now days they barely make any effort even in their retail stock for runners, training, sports etc. Nike here is very plain and boring compared to the US.

As for their team ranges....Most of their Broncs stuff was lazy when they had them and the Carlton stuff isn't much better. Haven't looked at their A-League stuff.

100%green

Juniors
I know it will never happen but if somehow the NRL could get a similar deal with Nike like the NFL has they would clean up financially. They manage to keep the designs of NFL jerseys clean and traditional and their off field gear is sensational.

It would be great to see, closest we have is ISC with the amount of teams they have. The problem here is just the population and market. Compared to the US it just isn't big enough.

100%green

Juniors

They did try it a few years back with Parramatta. The year between ISC and Blades (2012 I think). It was manufactured by PlayCorp on behalf of the NRL with a view of taking more teams in house if it was successful and making it centralized to the NRL. It didn't work as the company didn't get the numbers right, the designs weren't great etc etc. Should have been given more than one year but anyway it is good it failed really.

If this all went in house it would be a disaster!!! It is too much for the NRL to handle (look at things they currently get right and wrong!!!). Also the biggest factor is it would drive stores like Jerseys Megastore, Peter Wynn's, What's Your Team etc etc our of business. The NRL could mandate prices, hold exclusives over for themselves or clubs, undercut these shops when stuck with stock and so on. It just wouldn't work.

Frailty

First Grade
Most American sports have those manufacturer deals where the same company produces the gear for teams. NBA and NFL is Nike, NHL and MLS is Adidas.

It would be interesting to see in the NRL, but I think teams would baulk at the potential of lost income (depending on the structure of the NRL deal).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not sure what you mean? I was saying in the US they have and still do put in way more work than they ever did here. Now days they barely make any effort even in their retail stock for runners, training, sports etc. Nike here is very plain and boring compared to the US.

As for their team ranges....Most of their Broncs stuff was lazy when they had them and the Carlton stuff isn't much better. Haven't looked at their A-League stuff.
I know a few Carlton fans, they seem happy with their range - but I guess my point really is that it stands to reason they have so few club contracts here in Australia lately anyway.

Saint Doc

Coach
I’m an NBL fan. The thing with producing things “in house” is that people like wearing brand names!

When the Kings gear was made by ISC a few years back, I didn’t buy anything. It just felt weird, ISC is a footy brand. You don’t see the Lakers or Celtics in ISC. Felt tacky.

Then the league moved to Mitchell and Ness, a brand with serious street cred in basketball. Probably the second biggest jersey producer for NBA (they do all the retro stuff...like Classic Sports here but very popular) and are probably 2nd behind NewEra for hats/Snapbacks etc
Huge global brand. So I bought up- couple of jerseys, shorts, hoodie.

Now they’re in house- “First Ever”.
The stuff looks basically the same as Mitchell and Ness- as someone else said i suspect it’s the same factory. But it does lose a bit of appeal.

If NRL went league wide, it would have to be with a brand - ISC have traction in RL, but otherwise a big brand like adidias/Nike etc.

If everything had “NRLgear” branding I think people would be pretty underwhelmed