What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Nfed

Juniors
Leroy Houston has been named on the bench for the Queensland REDs for Round 1 of the Super 14 Rugby comp tonight. Houston play for Asquith last in the JBC last year without doing anything special but I am sure that all JBC players would envy his $150,000 a year contract.

Nfed

Juniors
The teams that finished 5th to 8th in 2007 played their opening trials on saturday against teams from the NRL and State Cup comps.

At Windsor, Erina (8th) lost to Panthers NRL 28-0 in a 30 minute half. This was followed by Windsor (5th), who put in a better effort in losing to the NRL team by 16-0.

At Leichhardt Oval, Mounties (7th) took on Wests Magpies. Mounties gained the early momentum when Drew Dalton put on a 40-20 in the 4th minute. At the end of the following set Dalton put up the perfect cross kick only to see his brother, Anthony, catch the ball over the tryline and then drop it attepting to ground it.

In the 16th minute Aaron Brown busted the defence to put Damien Mostyn over next to the posts. Dalton converted for a 6-0 lead. Wests regathered from the kickoff and Shannon Gallant broke through 4 defenders to score. The coversion was missed. It appeared that the quarter time score would be 6-4 but Wests were awarded a penalty as the bell rang. A chip was put in from the tap and Mostyn dropped a simple ball to allow wests to go under the posts. 10-6 to Wests at the break after 3 tries in the final 5 minutes.

The second quarter developed much the same as the first with no score until the 15th minute when Wests were awarded a penalty for a late tackle and spread the ball across the field to see the winger run over and then come around under the posts. Wests 16-6 at half time.

Wests scored early in the 3rd quarter and Mounties responded in the 53rd minute, but Wests hit back almost immediately to take the score to 26-10. There was no score in the final quarter, which was reduced to 15 minutes.

Wests had 2 separate 13's that played quarter by quarter with some interchange. Perhaps if they keep a big squad, they might consider sending some players to Campbelltown to add some strength there or even to Mounties, who having virtually no juniors in the JBC team, are going to struggle to comply with the points cap.

Nfed

Juniors
In the late game at leichhardt, Belrose (6th) took on Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers. Mailangi Styles is back from a season in the UK, so Belrose will have 4 players with NRL experience in the pack but the backline had a very new look with none of the 4 backs - Tim Mortimer, James Mortimer, Tom Joseph and Todd Barrow - that played both Premier League and JBC regularly last season, missing from the line up.

Dave Marando (BRET P/L) looks set to fill the 5/8 position follwing the retirement of local legend, Richie Plummer. Also trialing in the backline were Piripi Ranga (Erina), Lee Cameron (Seven Hills) and Trent Touma, a NSW Touch rep that has played for Lebabon in 7's and previously with the reserve grade team of the Sydney Bulls. Ewan Cameon (Wests P/L) also played in the pack.

This was a quicker game than the Mounties/Wests game and BRET scored after 4 minutes. The play went back and forth up the field until Belrose scored right at the end of the first 25 munite 3rd. The second session saw BRET score twice and Belrose once to give a scoreline of 16-10 going into the final 3rd. BRET's superior fitness saw them move way to win 28-14. All the same, not a bad first effort from Belrose, who look like they could break through and make the top 5 for first time.

Jim Curtis was placed on report for a head shot that saw the BRET player assisted from the field. Curtis, who was sent off in the final minutes of the 2007 season ans has to serve a 4 game suspension, is allowed to play in the trials as they have no official status.

On Sunday, at Ringrose Park, 3 regular JBC players plus Brett Blaker, who has been signed fron The Entrance, as well as 4 Wenty lower grade players, participated in Wenty's State Cup trial against Cronulla Cobras.

This game was player over 20 minute 3rds. The only clear major breaks made in the game were by one of the Parra contracted players, halfback, James Maloney. The first got no result when the support player dropped the ball when by a defender in the ingoal, and the second resulted in Wenty's sole try. The Cobras picked up a loose ball to score next to the posts 2 minutes from the end of the game but missed the goal. Wenty 6 beat Cobras 4.

Nfed

Juniors
Following the elections of the Cantebury football club board, 4 of the 7 directors have an association with the Sydney Bulls:

Ray Dib, Bulls Chairman 2000-20067 and foundation sponsor
Paul Dunn, Bulls Chairman 2007 and foundation sponsor
Barry Ward, Bulls sponsorship manager
Anthony Elias, Bulls ground announcer 2000, cousin of Ray Dib

chileman

Coach
Nfed said:
I know it is only 9's and it depends on the opposition, but Shellharbour demonstrated far more in attack on saturday than they did in last years comp.
Looking forward to Shellharbour having a good season this year:D

Spike

First Grade
Former Bulldogs and Sharks prop Hutch Maiava has been named in Windsor's trial side this weekend

Nfed

Juniors
Spike said:
Former Bulldogs and Sharks prop Hutch Maiava has been named in Windsor's trial side this weekend

That is the Windsor P/L team. Several of the players named played JBC last year or for St Marys A Grade and will probably drop back when the comp starts, but Hutch will play P/L on not much money in the hope of getting a run in NRL.

Cabra4eva

Juniors
Nfed said:

Wests had 2 separate 13's that played quarter by quarter with some interchange. Perhaps if they keep a big squad, they might consider sending some players to Campbelltown to add some strength there or even to Mounties, who having virtually no juniors in the JBC team, are going to struggle to comply with the points cap.

Nfed your info normaly right on the mark but from a source I have close to the Mounties Club I think the coach and management have done there homework.

The separation of players like Butler 8 Points, Mercer 10 Points, Bennett 8 Points and a number of others has left the squad with some room. Rumour has it this years back line alone is 8 points less then last year and has been strengthend by Damian Mostyn & Drew DALTON & low point centres Adam El ZABADEIAH & Peter LETT.

Fowards have only one surviour from last years squad Mathew McCONNEL (NSWJBC Rep) and have been boosted with power upfront in the form of Pat GALEA (BRET) & Ben WIER (Group 6). As well as Lebanon Hooker Anthony FARAH.

I believe that there are a total of 7 players from last years squad who remain on 2 points under the new points system. As well I am told a number of last year and this years C-Grade players forming part of the clubs drive to recuit players from the Macarthur region.

Just Like cabra in 2007 I suppose with locals like TIPPET, TACHI, GRECH, BURNS and CO

Nfed

Juniors
Cabra4eva said:
Nfed your info normaly right on the mark but from a source I have close to the Mounties Club I think the coach and management have done there homework.

The separation of players like Butler 8 Points, Mercer 10 Points, Bennett 8 Points and a number of others has left the squad with some room. Rumour has it this years back line alone is 8 points less then last year and has been strengthend by Damian Mostyn & Drew DALTON & low point centres Adam El ZABADEIAH & Peter LETT.

Fowards have only one surviour from last years squad Mathew McCONNEL (NSWJBC Rep) and have been boosted with power upfront in the form of Pat GALEA (BRET) & Ben WIER (Group 6). As well as Lebanon Hooker Anthony FARAH.

I believe that there are a total of 7 players from last years squad who remain on 2 points under the new points system. As well I am told a number of last year and this years C-Grade players forming part of the clubs drive to recuit players from the Macarthur region.

Just Like cabra in 2007 I suppose with locals like TIPPET, TACHI, GRECH, BURNS and CO

Last week's trial had Chanarath Ly and Channarith Ly 8 +7, Mostyn 15, Drew Dalton 10, Anthony Dalton 6, Dan Swindells 7, Lucas Reilly 7, Inoke Amone 7, Anthony Farah 8, Pat Galea 10, Ben Weir (ex BRET and Wests) at least 8, that is 93 points for 11 players. My understanding is that the locals dont stay at 2 or 3 unless they have at least 5 years with the club.

Nfed

Juniors
Perth Red said:
How does the points scoring work if you sign English players from SL or NL1?

McMenemy will be 20 points. If he played for the next 5 years he would gradually reduce to 15. There is a base rate and a 1 point discount for each year you play. Looking at the REDS trial teams last week, I estimated about 75 points for a likely team, so the REDS could recruit fit in 3 more Premier League players or 4 JBC players.

I suspect NL1 is 8 or 10 points. Do the REDS have someone from NL1?

The problem with the points system is that if you unearth an unknown from another club they start at 2 but if they play a full season they go up to 7 the next year but can drop back to 3 after 5 years.

the discounts system means players are worth more when they go to a new club. Damien Mostyn is 15 at Mounties but would be 10 if still with the Bulls. Adam Tippett and Phil Takchi were 10 and 8 at Cabra but will both be 5 with the Bulls.

At the other end of the scale take Fred Briggs, pulled out of the Sydney Bulls to play NRL . and at the end of the season the Bulldogs released him, but while he was 7 points last year, he now goes to 13. I understand he is back with the Bulldogs now.

The points system is pointless.

Nfed

Juniors
some more player movements:

Daniel Howard (Wenty) to Roosters, Luke Gordon (Windsor) to Newtown, Michael Taouk and Wayne Beh (Chester Hill) to Newtown, Adam Bennett (Mounties) to BRET.

Cabra4eva

Juniors
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Nfed
Late mail is that the brother of Mounties fullback as well as Anthony Dalton, Swindells, Riley, Amone will not play in a 17 man squad named during the week for trials against Nelsons bay next week and the Bulls the following Sunday.

Players will be replaced by 2 x 2 Point Wingers. Dargin (Local) in the centres, Blake Champinon (Jersey Flegg and only a handfull JBC) in the second Row as well as Mathew Mcconnel and two props signed from the Wests Trial last week.

I didnt see the game but the source at Mounties said one of the props was the standout of a fairly poor game. Apparently with the dropping of Swindells, Riley, Amone and Ly and the inclusion of lower point Flegg Players in there place there is still room for one more high point player. A player likley to return back to the club from Norths.

I dont no Nfed after there ok from in the 9's , new staff and full backing of the Mounties Group Board I just get the feeling I would right them of yet and come September they could just sneak in. I think give Dalton and Mostyn some time and with the speed of El Zabedaih and some younger players they could start slow but certainly one to watch. I know I we will need to be extra carefull after being beaten already once by them this year.

Also, on the points apparently only go over 2 points if more then 20 games and 8 points after 4 games other wise will be 6.

Keep up the good work Nfed you are the David Middleton of the League Unlimited

Ps.

Nfed can you shed any light on our dud from last year Tachi that he has retired after a fight with one of the Directors of the Bulls over the money new recruits Finn, Butler and Farah are recieveing apparently all thre are on at least double most of the players including senior players.

Cant wait to play against tippet in round 2 !!!

[/FONT]

Nfed

Juniors
Cabra4eva said:
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Nfed

Nfed can you shed any light on our dud from last year Tachi that he has retired after a fight with one of the Directors of the Bulls over the money new recruits Finn, Butler and Farah are recieveing apparently all thre are on at least double most of the players including senior players.

Cant wait to play against tippet in round 2 !!!

[/font]

I am unaware of this but I can confirm that Takchi was not present at either the Friday night trial or played in the 8's on saturday.

Nfed

Juniors
Windsor beat Wenty 34-30 in a trial at Ringrose yesterday after Wenty led 30-4 after half time. The Wolves laid on try after try to storm home. Many of the players for both sides will end up in A Grade with half the likely JBC lineups playing in the Premier League trial. Wenty had only 3 players from the 2007 squad and Windsor had 6.

The listed teams were:

Windsor
1 Shaun Laurie 2 Tim Hala 3 Kieran Croft 4 Zion Tauapati 5 Cameron Coote 20 Ben Stewart 17 Craig Trindall 8 Tito Nuimata 9 unknown 10 Jacob Sionepeni 21 Lee Hopkins 11 Ash Hazelton 12 Chanel Arama 13 Ryan Tramonte 14 Shane Croft 15 Shanelle Haumono 16 Latu Fifita 17 Luke Brown 18 Danny Youseff

Wenty
1 Steve Mowbray 2 Asto Waetford 3 Tim Clayton 4 Sam Teo 5 KJ Mckenzie 6 Abed Atallah 7 Rohan Hastings 8 Luke O'Callaghan 9 Rob Mykelten 10 Damien Ashe 11 Tim Wynn 12 Tom Vainga 13 Daniel Greaves 14 Gavin Wardle 15 Kris Krause 16 Scott Burns 17 Darren Lang 18 Jarrod McGoughey 19 Sonny Lima.

Mowbray, Attalah, Lang and Clayton all went onto the bench for the P/L trial.

For Wenty, Mark Fakahua, Brad Capovilla and Keven Pryor and hookers Ben Bailey and Luke Fahy did not play in either trial. For Windsor, Jason Wrigley and Ryan Russell did not play in either trial.

Nfed

Juniors
More player movements:

Tinetali Papali, who played in the Sydney Bulls reseve grade in 2006 and then moved on to Chester Hill JBC in 2007 has been trialing with Cronulla Cobras P/L. A halfback, Papali played quite well in trial against Wenty.

Darren Brown, a hooker, played 4 games for the Sydney Bulls in 2007 when Nathan Debartolo and Tom Mansour were out injured. Brown played P/L for the Bulldogs in 2006 and 2007 and was trialing with Chester Hill on Friday night.

John Koborsi, a backrower, played 12 games for the Sydney Bulls in 2007 but was not selected in the any of the finals, is trialing with North Sydney P/L.

Ali Karouche, a backrower, played in the preseason 7's comps and trails for Sydney Bulls in 2007 but got a release when not selected for the early comp games and played Rugby for Southern Districts. Karouche played a trial for Newtown last week and for Newtown feeede team, Chester Hill on Friday night.

Clinton Stowers, who has played for Asquith and Newtown is trialing with the Bulls. He scoed a stack of tries in the Valley 8's on Saturday.

Blake Champion, a Souths junior, who played Metro with Newtown in 2002 and a number of games for Chester Hill in 2007 is trialing with Mounties.

Jonathan Russell (Windsor) to Cabra, Ali Trad (Seven Hills) to Cabra, Steve Hales (Asquith) to Cabra. These 3 played in the Cabra A Grade side in the Valley 8's.

Also, Chris Lowe and Ciarin Williamson (Asquith) to Berowra.

Cabra4eva

Juniors
Nfed said:
More player movements:
Ali Karouche, a backrower, played in the preseason 7's comps and trails for Sydney Bulls in 2007 but got a release when not selected for the early comp games and played Rugby for Southern Districts. Karouche played a trial for Newtown last week and for Newtown feeede team, Chester Hill on Friday night.

NFED,

Sound like the Sydney Bulls are going back to the old days a little. Maybe they should change names to Sydney Cedars . Just an Idea !!

Good news on the Valley 8's Cabra have to be pleased with this performance although would have loved to have played the Bulls in the final.

Nathan Ford is apparetly in talks with Mounties. Cabra should chase this guy can play. GO CABRA in 2008!!!

Cabra4eva

Juniors
Good news on Trad , Russell and Hales. I know these guys were at Mounties last year at the trials and we missed our chance to grab them then so happy that they are at the club. I think money well spent. About time we brought these type of guys maybe if last years coach had half an idea he would have picked these guys instead.

Although in saying that have heard already that Bowie wants to come back as is clashing with coach Baysarri and few big name players....sounds a little like de ja vou.

CABRA TO WIN JBC IN 2008 !!!!

2BLUES

Juniors
I hear Cabra has lost another 2x players.

Francis Betham (Retired) focusing on his boys footy 10y & 6y out in Minchinbury. Will miss this bloke on the field.
and Ross Brown to union?

Latest posts