What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Nfed

Juniors
In addition to the 32 man full time squad, Penrith have contracted the following part timers for 2008: Matt Forward, Ash Hazelton, Brendan Hlad, daniel King, Jaye Marleitner, James Nightingale, John Nuumali, Andrew Pearn and Mitchell Smith.

If there are no injuies or suspensions, all of these players would be available for possible selection in the Windsor JBC team.

Nfed

Juniors
Back in the Wolf pack
Brendan Rhodes
space.gif

Adam Schubert and Lee Hopkins are welcomed home by Wolves’ secretary-manager Chris Carl. The gun recruits had the job of unveiling the new Windsor Wolves’ home (green) and away (gold) strips.

The Windsor Wolves have landed a two-pronged recruiting coup heading into their history making 2008 season with the return of former junior stars Lee Hopkins and Adam Schubert.
Hopkins, 29, who signed with the Wolves last week, returns to his home club after playing 107 NRL matches for Penrith and Parramatta and 85 English Super League matches with the London Harlequins.
Schubert, 22, is back after spending four injury-plagued years with the Sydney Roosters, where he played five NRL matches in 2005, and captained their feeder team, the Newtown Jets, this season.
The dual signings are the first big fish to be attracted to the Wolves as they prepare to enter their debut season in the Premier League next year.
Hopkins, who plans to start in Jim Beam Cup in order to ‘give something back’, said it was great to be home, and was delighted to be able to do so while he still had something to offer.
“My whole career I’ve always planned to come back and play with Windsor,” he said.
“I feel like at some point you should give something back to where you started – Windsor gave me a start and I wanted to come back and play for them and give a little bit back to some of the kids that are coming through to show them that they can make first grade from Windsor.
“I didn’t want to come back as a hack either – a guy just coming back to get a bit of cash in his pocket.
“I’ll be 30 next year so I’ve got a couple of years left where I can still play some decent footy.
“You hear of a lot of guys who come back and play and just play for the cash basically, and I’m not like that, I’d rather come back and be able to still give Windsor a bit of my best, a bit of what I’ve got left without being a hack on the field.”
Schubert, who last played for the Wolves in their 2003 under 17s premiership victory, saw returning home as a chance for a fresh start and the perfect opportunity to resurrect his NRL career with Penrith.
The lock played five matches for the Roosters in 2005 as a replacement for freshly retired champion Luke Ricketson, but a series of injuries curtailed his progress.
“I’ve had a few injuries over the past four years which has probably stunted my career a little, so to put that aside I’m still on the verge hopefully of getting back to first grade,” Schubert said.
“I’m going to play for Windsor in the Premier League this year and try to play first grade again to give it another crack and if all goes well hopefully I’ll be playing for Penrith in 2008.
“I didn’t think I’d be back at Windsor so quick but I’m happy to be back, my brother and my family’s here, and there’s a lot of old mates that I want to catch up with.
“It’s really good for Windsor to be in the Premier League comp, and hopefully we can have a good year – there’s been a few good signings and Penrith went pretty good in Premier League last year, so hopefully I can play well and play first grade – that’s the goal.”
The first task for Hopkins and Schubert came on Friday when they were asked to model Windsor’s new look strip for 2008.
The new strip maintains the club’s traditional green and gold, but includes more white and a modern design to make it easier to see from the sidelines.
“We’ve stuck with our primary colours of green and gold but we tend to change our design every few years to what’s fashionable at the time, and give them a modern look – I think they look tremendous and the boys like them,” Wolves secretary-manager Chris Carl said.
“There’s a lot more white in them, which is easier to see from the sideline and is good for TV and good for the night games. “I daresay we’ll change them in a few years again but we’ll always be green and gold.”

Source: Hawkesbury Gazette

Nfed

Juniors
Mounties

Retained:
Channarath Ly, James Burns, Charlie Herekotukuku, Justin Coveney, Matt McConnell, Danny Swindells, Chester Paselio, Trent Horsey, Wayne Dargan, Demetrius Ainuu, Abraham Pritchard and Daniel Russell.

Gains:
Drew Dalton, Anthony Dalton (Windsor)

Losses:
Mark Butler (Bulls)

Unknown:
Aaron Mercer, Adam Bennett, Alf Betham, Lucas Reilly, Inoke Amone, Blake Blackburn

Nfed

Juniors
The Entrance prop, Cheyne Lennon, has signed to play with Berkeley Vale Panthers in the Central Coast comp. He will join 2 other former Entrance JBC forwards - Chris Mundey, who played with Lakes United this season and Tane Tutaki.

Nfed

Juniors
It appears that George Ghazal is prepared to travel to get a run in the JBC. He has played reserve grade with Cabramatta, Sydney Bulls and Chester Hill but did have a season of JBC with Newtown as well as stints with Moss Vale and managed to play in the French Elite grand final in 2003 with St Gaudrens.

He is reportedly training with the Perth Reds. Also in WA is a Victorian named Roddy Tahu, who played in the Affiliated States side in 2007.

Nfed

Juniors
I understand that 2 players from Newcastle comp premiers, Lakes United are training with the Perth Reds. Joel Rawlins is a centre who played with NSW Country this year and has previously played with Balmain and Ryde Eastwood. The other player is Shane Johnson.

girvie

Staff member
What is happening with Asquith for 2008?

I heard they might be dropping out.

girvie

Staff member
one_eyed_demon said:
yeah heard the same, there was also talk that norths were planning on replacing them in the JBC
I think Norths were considering it because there is no Jersey Flegg competition next year, but i heard they decided against it.

Nfed

Juniors
In October I indicated that the Bulls had signed Brett Finn, Mark Butler, Pat Rosser and Tim Wynn and that a bigger name was a possibility.

A post on the Cabra thread appears to confirm my rumour, when it states that Adam Tippett is returning to the Bulls. Also says that Phil Takchi will return. Tippett's alleged return has something to do with the fact that Tippett was not popular with a lot of the Cabra players but also demonstrates how the discounts for club loyalty in the points system can offset the big money offers from other clubs.

If the Bulls can fix their front row problem - will Charlie Farah, Anthony Hadley and Dean Vicelich get on the field next year - they will return to their perennial position as the powerhouse of the competition.

Nfed

Juniors
As per Girvie's posting on P/L thread, The Entrance have lost Jamen McLeod, Troy Woodley and Courtney Rolfe to Central Coast Storm P/L. Add Cheyne Lennon who is playing in the Central Coast league next year and The Entrance need to undertake significant recruitment if they are going to compete with the top sides.

girvie

Staff member
Nfed or anyone else have you seen Shaune Corrigan from The Entrance play and what do you think of him?

He's with North Sydney Premier League for next year. Do you think he could do well there, or even make nrl?

I know he scored a hatrick in the JBC grand final.

Nfed

Juniors
girvie said:
Nfed or anyone else have you seen Shaune Corrigan from The Entrance play and what do you think of him?

He's with North Sydney Premier League for next year. Do you think he could do well there, or even make nrl?

I know he scored a hatrick in the JBC grand final.

He had a very good combination with Alex Moore all season. Has a bit of pace but slight build and defence may be a problem. Nathan Ford also put 3 tries on Corrigan in the GF. If I was Norths I would go after Alex Moore as well.

That is 5 players The Entrance have lost now.

Nfed

Juniors
More player movements:

Grant Wooden from Erina to Thirlmere (Group 6), Chris Tuatara from Asquith to Balmain Ryde Eastwood P/L.

Spike

First Grade
100yearsRL said:
The Entrance have withdrawn from comp today will not be in JIM Beam 08

Damn, I hate seeing JB Cup sides folding. Particularly the Tigers since they've been in the comp since it started. That only leaves Erina representing the Central Coast

girvie

Staff member
Nfed said:
He had a very good combination with Alex Moore all season. Has a bit of pace but slight build and defence may be a problem. Nathan Ford also put 3 tries on Corrigan in the GF. If I was Norths I would go after Alex Moore as well.

That is 5 players The Entrance have lost now.
Thanks for that. It will be interesting to see if he can cement a starting spot with Norths.

Latest posts