What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
I am hearing a lot of local A grade players from Penrith comp are out at Windsor with Jim Beam.
Ben Harden , Michael Burns , Tim Howard , Adam McCrone from St Marys , Mick Hawkings from Doonside , Adam Demanuele from Brothers.

It is the usual thing then they put them in there A grade teams and they return to the former clubs.

chester

Juniors
I was told when at the club,that former Demons player Darren Peachey knocked back offers from Redcliffe QLD, WA Reds and several other clubs of note ( two in the UK ) just to play A grade with St Marys, why would you do that ?? can or do they pay good money.??:eek: :shock: :?

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
chester said:
I was told when at the club,that former Demons player Darren Peachey knocked back offers from Redcliffe QLD, WA Reds and several other clubs of note ( two in the UK ) just to play A grade with St Marys, why would you do that ?? can or do they pay good money.??:eek: :shock: :?
last i heard peach was planning to stay at seven hills, but yes he did defenetly knock back alot of offers from clubs.
And alot of clubs in the penrith comp pay very good money, well that use to be the case, not sure about next year

Stagger eel

Staff member
chester said:

chances are that he's got a very stable employment outside football which he doesn't want to sacrifise :?

Nfed

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Just out of interest does anyone know what the average pay for a JB cup player is?

I was told that some players got $20,000 sign ons with Cabra last year, plus match payments and another $1,000 for man of the match each week.

one_eyed_demon

Juniors
Nfed said:
I was told that some players got $20,000 sign ons with Cabra last year, plus match payments and another $1,000 for man of the match each week.
yeah i heard several cabra players were on 35K plus bonuses, then when willie brown signed he became the highest paid player in the club. that is a t the top end of the scale though. average i guess would be 500-600 a week??

Perth Red

Post Whore
SO salaries would be around the 3/4million $ mark for a full squad then? With travel and other expenses clubs must be operating on around a $1.25 million annual budget?

coachz

Juniors
i doubt players are getting that kind of cash with a salary cap of $250K. 20K sign on plus 500 per game equals around 40K per year. Not only i dont think clubs can afford this, there are no professional players in the jim beam cup

Does the NSWRL actually audit the JBC salary cap? Having said that, I doubt too many clubs would be able to afford to go over the $150k cap anyway.

Perth Red said:
With travel and other expenses clubs must be operating on around a $1.25 million annual budget?

You can generally see how much they spend by looking at the Leagues club grant each uses to run their sides, generally between $200k - $300k (Nfed probably knows a bit more about this) which is what the likes of St. Mary's, Ryde-Eastwood, etc., have been spending on their semi-pro clubs for the last few years. It's way below $1.25million, anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes more sense as I had heard the Reds would be operating on close to $500,000 budget this year but would need just over a million $'s to be competitive when they move up to the Q'land cup.

Perth Red said:
Makes more sense as I had heard the Reds would be operating on close to $500,000 budget this year but would need just over a million $'s to be competitive when they move up to the Q'land cup.

Yes, it would cost quite a bit more at that level... which is why St. Mary's, Ryde-Eastwood, Wenty, etc., have all chosen to move up to that level (i.e. the Premier League) as part of a joint-venture arrangement. Doubt they would be willing (or able) to fund the whole exercise themselves.

A recent auditor's report commissioned by Toowoomba RL stated that it costs between $900,000 and $1million to run a Queensland Cup side.

That's the hurdle for WAR at that level. Everyone else is doing it by being underwritten by grants from Leagues clubs... WAR won't have that (except for the ARL grant).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it will be a big challenge to raise that sort of funding. I think our only hope is if the NRL announce that Perth will get a franchise in 2012 (as long as they meet certain conditions). this will give the WARL the ammunition to attract sponsors and build a stronger membership. As it stands at the minute I could see us raising 3/4 million but not sure where the remainder would come from. Maybe the NRL will chip in the rest to match the ARL's funding if they see that the building blocks will lead to a more sustainable and succesful new franchise in years to come.

Sickens me when i see what the AFL and ARU (and even soccer) "invest" in virgin territories to expand their top flights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps in some ways I can see them being able to get 10-15 million income for an NRL franchise easier then getting funding for a Q'land cup side!

Nfed

Juniors
While some players are getting big payments, and there was originally some doubt that Cabramatta would continue in 2008, after spending up this year, I would be surprised if more than $400K was spent by any club, with some of the weaker teams operating at half that level.

In 2001, Wenty spent $550k, including $400k for player payments but that was Metro with higher quality players and a reserve grade.

St Marys spend more than $1 million every year even though they only play in the junior league, but that covers the expenses of 45 teams from u6 to A Grade.

I would aslo be surprised if any Qld Cup teams were on $1 million budgets

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Nfed said:
While some players are getting big payments, and there was originally some doubt that Cabramatta would continue in 2008, after spending up this year, I would be surprised if more than $400K was spent by any club, with some of the weaker teams operating at half that level.

In 2001, Wenty spent $550k, including $400k for player payments but that was Metro with higher quality players and a reserve grade.

St Marys spend more than $1 million every year even though they only play in the junior league, but that covers the expenses of 45 teams from u6 to A Grade.

I would aslo be surprised if any Qld Cup teams were on $1 million budgets

St Marys pay $75 a game for reserve grade , the average A grader gets about $400 so each week they are shelling out close to $8,000 if 20 games there is $160k , they win nearly all games.Then there coaching staff are well looked after A grade coach about $10-15k , Reserve grade $5k , trainers , strappers etc are all paid.The budget to run the A grade would go close to $220k.

Then you have Emu who operate on a $40k budget

Nfed

Juniors
The Wrong Eye said:
St Marys pay $75 a game for reserve grade , the average A grader gets about $400 so each week they are shelling out close to $8,000 if 20 games there is $160k , they win nearly all games.Then there coaching staff are well looked after A grade coach about $10-15k , Reserve grade $5k , trainers , strappers etc are all paid.The budget to run the A grade would go close to $220k.

Then you have Emu who operate on a $40k budget

Thanks for the info on player payments. St Marys also employ a RL administrastor as well as Jim Jones as Development Officer. That chews up quite a few dollars. Jerseys and shirts etc for 45 teams adds up plus insurance, ground hire for the Kingsway, lights etc. There is a lot more to running a big football club than just player payments for the A Grade. In 2003 and 2004 football club expenses were $1.3 million. I would think that this has dropped back a bit with their withdrawal from the Premier League JV.