What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Stagger eel

Staff member
that's interesting considering their connection with the Penrith panthers up until a couple of years ago.

Nfed

Juniors
The Wrong Eye said:
I am hearing a lot of local A grade players from Penrith comp are out at Windsor with Jim Beam.
Ben Harden , Michael Burns , Tim Howard , Adam McCrone from St Marys , Mick Hawkings from Doonside , Adam Demanuele from Brothers.

It is the usual thing then they put them in there A grade teams and they return to the former clubs.

Sydney Bulls tried to get Mick Hawkings a few years ago while Tim Howard had a full year with Windsor A Grade in 2005 and Adam Demanuele played a couple of games for Windsor JBC in 2003. That was Windsor's first year and they finished 8th. They have been in the top 5 in the following 4 years.

Nfed

Juniors
I have heard a rumour that Campbelltown Eagles are going after Jamie Newton (Thirlmere), one of the top players in Group 6 and have recruited Grant Lahey (Camden), Craig Moustakis (The Oaks), Ryam Owen and Kurt Austin (Wests).

coachz

Juniors
ctown better go after some bigger fish if they want to be competitive in jim beam. it is a big step from park footy to jbc. with no big signings and a relative young side they around $1.10 for the wooden spoon

Nfed

Juniors
coachz said:
ctown better go after some bigger fish if they want to be competitive in jim beam. it is a big step from park footy to jbc. with no big signings and a relative young side they around $1.10 for the wooden spoon

I agree with you 100%.

Nfed

Juniors
windsor JBC/PL were to have played Gold Coast Titans at Ipswich in February but this game has been cancelled.

yappy

Bench
Campbelltown will be interesting to watch. They are going for a totally home grown side (Wests Juniors and Group 6). They won't be chasing bigger fish, and I don't believe they have the finances to even if they wanted to. If it comes off for them and they go ok it may make some teams spending it up big have a re-think. But if they do come last it will be time to make some tough choices. They're giving themselves a few years to get to the top, but if they're a long way off the pace in the first year then a few years might not be enough.

Good luck to them though. Know a lot of the guys playing there and they're all good honest players. Might surprise.

Nfed

Juniors
Wenty will trial against Newtown feeder side, Chester Hill at Henson Park on 2 March at 2.30 pm. This game will be followed by Wenty vs Newtown in a State Cup trial at 4 pm.

Nfed

Juniors
Here is an updated list on Wenty JBC player movements, following posts on the Premier League thread.

Retained
Steve Mowbray, Simon Micallef, Mark Luland, Ben Bailey, Jacob Byrne, Luke O'Callaghan, Brett Sargent, Brad Capovilla, Mark Fakahua, Michael Woodlands

Losses
Luke Carr and Aaron Fluke (cabramatta), Adam Capovilla, Daniel Bell, Keiron Herring, Simon Gwynne

Gains
Alf Betham (Mounties/ Parra P/L), Tim Wynn (Seven Hills/Parra P/L), Mitch Stansfield* (Wests P/L ), James Boustani* (Bulldogs Flegg), Nathan Cleaver (Canterbury Bulls NZ), Abed Attalah (Group 9), Losta Kouparitsis (Berala Bears)

Unknown
Walter Vauea, Darren Lang, Daniel Howard, Tom Petric, Aamon Frost

A Grade players retained include
Todd Eriha, Luke Fahy, Kris Krause, Mark O'Grady, Kevin Prior, Sarkis Daher

* Wenty junior returning to club
** Some players from these squads may be selected in Wenty's State Cup team during the season and some Parramatta contracted players who are not listed may play JBC or A Grade during the season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
quick question...will the points system which limits certain players to JBC sides still apply?? the reason I ask this is that the Wenty JBC side may also be used to field the Parra's NYC players that aren't being used on a weekly basis.

Nfed

Juniors
eelavation said:
quick question...will the points system which limits certain players to JBC sides still apply?? the reason I ask this is that the Wenty JBC side may also be used to field the Parra's NYC players that aren't being used on a weekly basis.

The Points system will apply. If a player has not played at least 4 games in Premier League they wouls be 2 to 4 points. Since Clubs are limited to 100 points, such players are valuable if they can play and your club is fielding a lot of player with high points.

However, Wenty does not have a points problem. They would be seeking players with plenty of P/L experience for their JBC team as they want to remain a top 4 side. If Wenty were to put players that are excess to NYC in their teams they would be looking at A2's (or C Grade if under 19).

If Parra is looking at a place to send players of that standard they should talk to Mounties, as that club has virtually no juniors in the club so they cant get discounts on their players and they will have a big problem with points in 2008 just as they did in 2007. So they will definitely be looking for about 5 players worth only 2 points because they will have no alternative.

Very poor plannning by Mounties in complying with a stupid system

Nfed

Juniors
Flyin' Eagle said:
Eagles don't need to swoop on anything, there's plenty of local talent to in the area to be very competitive.

Erina's best finish in 5 years was 6th the year they had Qld State of Origin hooker, Jamie Goddard in the team. They certianly dont have anyone of that calibre in their squad these days.

Nfed

Juniors
Nathan Carr is back training with Cabramatta. Carr along with Brett Rimmer, who is also back in 2008, were important members of the Cabra side in 2006 but with all the players signed from other clubs for 2007, these two were forced out by the points system.

Rimmer played 2 games in 2007 and Carr returned to Guildford to captain the A Grade that lost the Grand Final to Wenty as the magpies completed their 5th consecutive title.

Nfed

Juniors
Asquith pair all ready to boost Eagles
17Jan08
ERINA has completed its recruitment for the 2008 Jim Beam Cup season with the signing of experienced Asquith pair Mark Meredith and Anthony Kiro.

Front-rower Meredith, who played nine NRL games for South Sydney up to 2004, was a major signing for the Eagles to fill the hole left by NSW Country prop Grant Wooden who has gone to Wagga Wagga Brothers club.

Kiro is a powerful back-rower or centre who captained Asquith last year in its final season of the Jim Beam Cup.

``We needed a bit more experience in the side after losing the likes of Grant, Luke Roberts and Matt Brinkley from last season,'' coach Mark Horo said.

The Asquith pair join Vita Hemmings, Ryan Cribb and Jacob Martin from The Entrance as key recruits for 2008.

Horo said the club had benefited from the withdrawal of both The Entrance and Asquith from the Cup but would rather see the teams stay in the competition.

Meredith, 25, has turned a corner in his league career. After spending most of the past decade battling away at NRL clubs Meredith wants to find a better balance to his life and is looking forward to becoming part of the Erina club.

``After spending 10 years playing football I have realised there is more life than just playing football,'' Meredith said.

``I will put my family first but I think the Erina club will be a good place to play. They seem to have a good coaching staff and management and I'm looking forward to the season.''

Meredith completed three seasons at Souths. He needed a knee reconstruction and joined West Tigers in 2005 where he played in the Premier League.

In 2006 he played in the Queensland Cup with Easts Brisbane and played at Penrith last year before ending the season at Asquith.

LimeTime

Juniors
100yearsRL said:
Richie Returns
In great news for Cabramatta, Richie Parker will play for them in 2008.
That's awesome, He played some fantastic footy last year ,I'm looking forad to this season ,and its getting very close now .