What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BunniesMan

Immortal
1) I didn't say anywhere it shouldn't have seen the light of day in case he committed suicide. You read incorrectly between whatever lines were there. I simply said it could turn from this story into a suicide, which would be tragic. Again, I don't condone what he did but I don't want him to take his own life because of the enormity of what he is now in. I just hope he has a support system around him that ensures he doesn't.

2) They are a disgrace. They're an accomplice to this, just like you can be an accomplice to murder or whatever. They obviously thought it was funny to probably encourage it at the time, then post it. I, and you, both know they didn't post it to bring justice to the world. And you think it does us a service that they posted it? Please. Can you honestly say if a friend had a photo like this (don't say they wouldn't, Joel's friends would've said the same previously) that you'd circulate it so justice was served? Rubbish. You'd do the right thing, which would be to tell him he's f*cking lucky this time and cut back on the drinking, then delete it so it never saw the light of day.

Or nah, maybe you wouldn't. You're a crusader for morality and all that is just and righteous in the world.

We don't know if one of the people in the room with him released the photo. Maybe it's 2nd/3rd hand. Maybe they sent it to someone who sent it to someone else who put it on the net. I agree that the other guys in the room are as bad as he is, but we don't know if they're the same people who released it to the public.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Yes they can. People need to know that it is zero tolerance or this sh*t keeps happening.

Honestly, they just can't have a drink anymore. I know it's a bullsh*t society where they can't, but we live in a bullsh*t, social media/paparazzi vulture nonsense society where this happens. It won't change, if anything it'll get worse. I hate that it's got here but it seems if you want to play now, you have to be teetotal. Or be like the EPL and don't do your drinking in public (even then, this wasn't).

Deregistering half a team will destroy the Raiders club. They will go bankrupt as sponsors desert them.

Consider this, imagine if there were 3 or 4 other players who have the same photo of them (ONLY a hypothetical), that's 4 or 5 players who have committed a very, very bad offense. That's 4 or 5 players that need to be deregistered. It'd be much simpler to deregister 1 or 2 players.

The NRL has made plenty of examples. And it hasn't worked. It's as if nothing can be done. It's not Gallop's fault that some NRL players are morons or neaderthals.

The NRL is likely assessing how bad this all is and then will make a decision.

Goddo

Bench
Fk its nasty... life ban for bringing the game into disrepute and will face animal cruelty leagal action sounds resonable.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Get rid of him. Time these idiots grew up, completely disrespect the game and it's supporters, how can we defend these sorts of morons. There are enough enemies trying to pull the game down without dopey overpaid footballers helping them out. All the good work done since last year will be wiped out.

Last edited:

Coleworld

Juniors
As fan of Rugby league as a whole this story makes me absolutely sick. I'm sorry to Joel Monaghan his girlfriend and family but he must be banned from a lengthy period of time if not for life for bringing our game into this disgrace act. It may have been a drunken mistake but no man especially a role model to kids has any excuse.

I want our game to be the best in this country but these type of incidents bring it down it's unacceptable. There is blockbuster international nearly sold out at Eden Park yet the main story is this sh8t. I'm angered by it. David Gallop needs to
Act now.

This is the next story. I was thinking about it this arvo. There's at least one other person in the room. Reports suggest that there were a few mates there. Looks like this is set to drag on for some time.

Waiders' PR team will have to work overtime on this one.

At least 2 others there. The owner of the leg in the background and whoever took the photo.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yes they can. People need to know that it is zero tolerance or this sh*t keeps happening.

Honestly, they just can't have a drink anymore. I know it's a bullsh*t society where they can't, but we live in a bullsh*t, social media/paparazzi vulture nonsense society where this happens. It won't change, if anything it'll get worse. I hate that it's got here but it seems if you want to play now, you have to be teetotal. Or be like the EPL and don't do your drinking in public (even then, this wasn't).
He allowed an animal to lick/suck his gear. Being pissed is a poor excuse. He has put himself outside society and subject to ridicule and derision.
Again, he allowed an animal to lick/suck his gear. Not acceptable.

Coleworld

Juniors
As fan of Rugby league as a whole this story makes me absolutely sick. I'm sorry to Joel Monaghan his girlfriend and family but he must be banned from a lengthy period of time if not for life for bringing our game into this disgrace act. It may have been a drunken mistake but no man especially a role model to kids has any excuse.

I want our game to be the best in this country but these type of incidents bring it down it's unacceptable. There is blockbuster international nearly sold out at Eden Park yet the main story is this sh8t. I'm angered by it. David Gallop needs to
Act now.

m0nty

Juniors

I'm not sure zero grog is enforceable, but that's not really the problem, it's binge drinking. Mad Monday is only the most well known of the ritualised regular sessions. String together all of the NRL scandals of the past few years and apart from the Storm cheating, they're all linked by one thing, and that's massive amounts of drugs (in pill or bottle form) consumed at once. Rugby league as a sport has to remove the culture of team bonding being linked with drug use. FFS, can't blokes have fun without getting blind?

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Monaghan is trending on Twitter. It's only a matter of time before this makes late night shows around the world.

I'm not sure zero grog is enforceable, but that's not really the problem, it's binge drinking. Mad Monday is only the most well known of the ritualised regular sessions. String together all of the NRL scandals of the past few years and apart from the Storm cheating, they're all linked by one thing, and that's massive amounts of drugs (in pill or bottle form) consumed at once. Rugby league as a sport has to remove the culture of team bonding being linked with drug use. FFS, can't blokes have fun without getting blind?

Or can't people get blind without committing atrocities. I know I've been blind numerous times and never felt the urge to let a dog lick my dick, piss on people, assault them, sh*t in a hallway etc etc

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Deregistering half a team will destroy the Raiders club. They will go bankrupt as sponsors desert them.

Consider this, imagine if there were 3 or 4 other players who have the same photo of them (ONLY a hypothetical), that's 4 or 5 players who have committed a very, very bad offense. That's 4 or 5 players that need to be deregistered. It'd be much simpler to deregister 1 or 2 players.

The NRL has made plenty of examples. And it hasn't worked. It's as if nothing can be done. It's not Gallop's fault that some NRL players are morons or neaderthals.

The NRL is likely assessing how bad this all is and then will make a decision.
The club has to take decisive action. As a fan I believe monaghan must be sacked. Anyone else involved read the riot act and given the spear if appropriate. My membership will not be renewed unless action is taken. I'm only one bloke sure, but this is my way of saying enough is enough I don't want this scum around my club.

kmav23

Juniors
Guys this is going to go INTERNATIONAL AROUND THE WORLD !!!

All the news will cover it....Rugby League and bestiality... sex with animals....

This is going to damage the games reputation....

Also mums and dads letting kids play soccer or bestiality football

Dr.J

Juniors
There is a big difference between doing this for sexual gratification and simulating it for the benefit of equally wasted mates who think it is the most hilarious thing they have since since one of them lit hit own f-rt two minutes earlier. Obviously this case is in the latter category.

Big lesson is to NOT take photos and if they do get taken to delete before they circulate.

IMO Monaghan deserves some leniency for putting his hand up and saying it was a stupid act and he is remorseful. Would be a lot easier to lie and say he was unconscious with alcohol and some mates did it without his knowledge and then he is off the hook.

It's not like he influenced the result of the Grand Final by calling a player in who was two metres into touch.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Or can't people get blind without committing atrocities. I know I've been blind numerous times and never felt the urge to let a dog lick my dick, piss on people, assault them, sh*t in a hallway etc etc

But you're not 20-something, fit, earning 6 figures, getting chased by girls, famous and going out with 5 mates who are in the same position. I'm assuming so anyway.

These things are what make some of these young men do silly things like this. They genuinely live in a bubble where they are gods of their own domain. It's not helped that clubs push anything they can under the carpet.

It's the same in ALL sports, not just RL. The sooner we admit this, the better.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We don't know if one of the people in the room with him released the photo. Maybe it's 2nd/3rd hand. Maybe they sent it to someone who sent it to someone else who put it on the net. I agree that the other guys in the room are as bad as he is, but we don't know if they're the same people who released it to the public.

But surely that's bad enough that they sent it on? I know if this was a friend or even someone I gave 1/10th of a sh*t about, I wouldn't do that. No way. I'd even struggle to do that to an arch enemy. I guess it still makes them an accomplice if they forwarded the photo, not posted it.

And on that being pissed is a poor excuse, as per another post, I'm not excusing it. All I'm saying is this doesn't happen if it's not on the end of a massive bender - and I'm not just meaning this. I mean Nate Myles, I mean those other two young Roosters, I mean all Todd Carney's old stuff, I mean the Broncos incident, I mean anything Sione Faumuina did, etc etc.

So any mention of Mad Mondays, team bonding, whatever has to go. It's sad, but it does. Surely the chance to play in the NRL is enough to give that stuff away - and you'd probably extend your career in the process.