What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BDGS

Bench
Typical nothing response from the NRL. Weak as p1ss from Gallop. No mention of the option of deregistering him.

There is a very good reason why he didn't mention anything about deregistering this player. And thats because deregistering this player is not a option.

weak as piss? I'd rather Mr.Gallop to say what he did then put his foot in his mouth by saying something unprofessional and ridiculous. There are things in place for this and a real fan will understand that and give the NRL and the Canberra Raiders team adequate time to deal with what has occured.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've seen the photo, and to be honest it's not actually clear that he was really having sexual relations with the dog- I suspect he simply dropped his pants and pulled the dog's head near his genitalia for the benefit of what he thought would be an amusing photo. So the harmless fun bit isn't really that far off the mark.

BUT, perception is all important in these cases and it LOOKS bad, and is extremely embarrassing for the NRL and the Raiders. He probably needs to be sacked for the club to save face.
I'm not aware of anyone calling it 'sexual relations'. The media have been careful to call it a 'sex act' - which it is.

To be honest, I can't imagine getting drunk enough to do something like this. It's one out the box.

I yearn for the days when players got pissed and got into strife of nightclub incidents or making lewd phone calls. At least some people could relate to that.

And lol @ Waiders. Not a good week for you eh?

What does this say about the all players present, sweet f**k all. What an absolute bunch of wankers, someone actually passed the photo on, of one of their "supposed" mates.

Canberra will now have to endure similar levels of crap to that of Melbourne for a while.

I'd call that Karma waiders_doglovesmanpole, enjoy.

You f**king noob :lol:, you dead set edit every single one of your lame little insults. Tried once failed, tried again failed once more

What an absolute f**king disgrace of a human being.......I hope to christ they sack him immediately and ban him from the game for life

LazyDreamer

Bench
Far-kennel, but I can't believe the way everyone's over-reacting. Y'all act like it's the first time this sort of thing has happened, when in fact it's a well-known kink amongst Ranga sportsmen...

344fwja.jpg

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
The guy who originally leaked it offered the photo to the Daily Telegraph and says that there are other photos. He also says that the Canberra Times knew about the photos.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just a guess TT, but some might suggest that Myles is no longer the player with the most disgusting incident attributed to RL?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Seriously? Are you typing this with a straight face? So by your logic anything awful any high profile person does should be kept from the public incase they become ashamed and kill themselves? Suicide is a terrible thing but it can't be the measure by which we decide when to let the public know things and when not to.

By that logic the Storm scandal should have been kept private because the people involved might have killed themselves from the shame. Same thing with every other scandal in the game?

How are they a disgrace? If they lied about it, if they photoshopped it and passed it off as the real thing, then they would be a disgrace. The fact is they did none of those things, and they did us all a service.

If Monaghan feels bad about himself as a result of this, it's the least he deserves.

1) I didn't say anywhere it shouldn't have seen the light of day in case he committed suicide. You read incorrectly between whatever lines were there. I simply said it could turn from this story into a suicide, which would be tragic. Again, I don't condone what he did but I don't want him to take his own life because of the enormity of what he is now in. I just hope he has a support system around him that ensures he doesn't.

2) They are a disgrace. They're an accomplice to this, just like you can be an accomplice to murder or whatever. They obviously thought it was funny to probably encourage it at the time, then post it. I, and you, both know they didn't post it to bring justice to the world. And you think it does us a service that they posted it? Please. Can you honestly say if a friend had a photo like this (don't say they wouldn't, Joel's friends would've said the same previously) that you'd circulate it so justice was served? Rubbish. You'd do the right thing, which would be to tell him he's f*cking lucky this time and cut back on the drinking, then delete it so it never saw the light of day.

Or nah, maybe you wouldn't. You're a crusader for morality and all that is just and righteous in the world.

m0nty

Juniors
There is a very good reason why he didn't mention anything about deregistering this player. And thats because deregistering this player is not a option.

weak as piss? I'd rather Mr.Gallop to say what he did then put his foot in his mouth by saying something unprofessional and ridiculous. There are things in place for this and a real fan will understand that and give the NRL and the Canberra Raiders team adequate time to deal with what has occured.
How bad does it need to get before the league acts before the club does? What if a player stabs someone on live TV, does Gallop issue a statement six hours afterwards saying he trusts the club will do the right thing according to due process? Or does he do what a real administrator would do: ring up the stakeholders ASAP and get verbal approval to announce the inevitable and save the game from days of media pressure while they hem and haw about it?

Gallop's first thought is always to act like a lawyer, because that's what he is. It's the fundamental problem with him continuing to be CEO of the NRL. In some cases that approach is useful, like when you're negotiating with warring factions as he has been for years now. On issues like this, decisive action is a no-brainer, yet still he strokes his chin and stalls for time.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Photo + admission = what is left to investigate?

I really struggle to think of some sort of mitigation as to why this doesn't warrant instant dismissal (from any job).

How many other players were involved is a key issue.

If there were 6 players there, they should all be punished equally. But the NRL can't deregister half a run on team.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm guessing none! Journalists sweeping things under the carpet? No way!

There'd be so many legal implications for media companies releasing a photo like this one... it's one of those ones journalists would be forced to stay away from until the photo was verified.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

If there were 6 players there, they should all be punished equally. But the NRL can't deregister half a run on team.
This is the next story. I was thinking about it this arvo. There's at least one other person in the room. Reports suggest that there were a few mates there. Looks like this is set to drag on for some time.

Waiders' PR team will have to work overtime on this one.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Yes they can. People need to know that it is zero tolerance or this sh*t keeps happening.

Honestly, they just can't have a drink anymore. I know it's a bullsh*t society where they can't, but we live in a bullsh*t, social media/paparazzi vulture nonsense society where this happens. It won't change, if anything it'll get worse. I hate that it's got here but it seems if you want to play now, you have to be teetotal. Or be like the EPL and don't do your drinking in public (even then, this wasn't).