What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I know I'm stating the obvious but this is going to have massive consequences for the Raiders the longer they take to deal with this. Fans & sponsor's that where lining up at the Raider's door after this season are now going to be clambering for the exit. I have two family members who got back into league at the end of this season for the first time since the early 90's. I can pretty much guarantee they will be lost as fans.
Sorry Mona's I know this was just a stupid prank but for the good of the game you need to be cut loose. This will be worldwide news by tomorrow.

El Diablo

Post Whore
While Monaghan should feel bad about what he did, I agree that he should be livid with his team"mates". He DID put himself in that position, but his apparent "mates" should have realised that this was very serious and either a) stopped him from doing it or b) deleted the photo(s) straight away.

you don't know if it was a team mate that took the pic

applesauce

Bench
I can't believe people are on here defending it (or at least talking it down). WTF, has the internet desensitised you?

This is a very,very sad day in RL. It will take a lot of time and effort to overcome this in many people eyes with some lost to the game forever.

The worst bit is how we have a club like Canberra have a fairytale year with a very bright future recapture the hearts and minds of the public in the ACT. Only to have it all undone, and it was 1 area we had that other notable codes in OZ don't.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The fact is, it wasn't a criminal act (in the ACT), whereas the method the person used to leak the picture had criminal intent behind it.
Pun probably intended but you're splitting hairs there.

Just because there's a legal loophole in the ACT doesn't make it illegal in the rest of Australia.

That, and the court of public opinion.

Not a good look for the lad. He's gone.

chefman21

Juniors
It's about time the clubs, the fans, and the players started listening to other people. I was discussing a few things with several PR people and media professionals not long ago and they say that the clubs (all sports) don't listen. These people explain to the clubs, the fans and players that with the rise of new media i.e. the combining of traditional forms of media with new technology, things like this are going to be instant news and in the case of Twitter and the like are going to be spread worldwide.

Society knows the effects of alcohol, society is against poor behaviour and society regards these people as celebrities and role models. Celebrities and role models come with certain standards of behaviour they need to follow. Humans have certain standards of behaviour to follow.

It's all too easy now to record your mate and have it on youTube within 15 minutes. It's all too easy to send a picture to 50 people in 15 seconds. They get on the piss, they go out in public and someone recognises them. It's instant recognition now too with the rise of the internet. There is a reason this is being called the Information Age. And there is a reason this is called the Age of Communication. What do people expect?

Lego_Man

First Grade
Youd also think that there are more (and worse photos), given there is at least one other person in the room with a camera (top right).

I can't believe people are on here defending it (or at least talking it down). WTF, has the internet desensitised you?

This is a very,very sad day in RL. It will take a lot of time and effort to overcome this in many people eyes with some lost to the game forever.

The worst bit is how we have a club like Canberra have a fairytale year with a very bright future recapture the hearts and minds of the public in the ACT. Only to have it all undone, and it was 1 area we had that other notable codes in OZ don't.

Yeah pretty much, that and things like Ali G, Jackass, Tom Green etc

I don't think many people are defending it, it's disgusting, but it's not exactly the biggest shock in the world to see something like that

Perth Red

Post Whore
another kick in the guts for the code, like it needed one, by a dickhead player who has made a very good living from the sport. Fricking grow up you tools!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Agree. As a club we have always struggled to attract players. That was begining to change. Now, what father or mother would want their kid to sign with a club whose senior players act like this? What wife/girlfriend would want their husband to come here? And sponsors aren't going to flock to a club whose reputation is fouled up like ours is right now.

Noa

First Grade
Time to ban the tradtional mad-monday I reckon. Theyre a relic of another time anyway

innsaneink

Referee

A Saints fan died during celebrations at saints leagues GF night....some here believed that incident was fair game to mock & poke fun at.
This is bad, but nowhere on that scale

applesauce

Bench
Yeah pretty much, that and things like Ali G, Jackass, Tom Green etc

I don't think many people are defending it, it's disgusting, but it's not exactly the biggest shock in the world to see something like that

It is when these guys are representing a multimillion dollar business who is in a battle for fans.

You know the speel, roles models etc etc. I get the whole jackass, tom green sh*t I have seen it all and enjoyed it, but this guy is a regular bloke who has been given everything by the NRL/Raiders.

He isn't getting paid millions like Knocksville and Green to do this sh*t. All it does is feed a media hungry country like Aus and bring RL further down in the minds of possible converted fans (as well as current ones).

It seems as though we take 1 step forward and 2 steps back, that's what I can't cop!

applesauce

Bench
A Saints fan died during celebrations at saints leagues GF night....some here believed that incident was fair game to mock & poke fun at.
This is bad, but nowhere on that scale

A player didn't kill him so I don't how you can compare. Yes a life was lost and it was a true tragedy but that can happen anywhere (just like most weekends at nightclubs which effectively it was like) so has less direct effect on the NRL.