What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He will resign from Canberra, the guy fkd up , he knows it and is very sorry.
Only if some other players put their hand and admit their mistakes.

juanfarkall

Coach
The only feasible way to minimise the amount of stupid sh*t that occurs off the field is the NRL only to register rugby league players after the following options:

IQ Test - A score of 125 or higher
High School Certificate - At least a B- or higher grade average

Pick whichever one you want, you'll still get the few idiots but not as many. The biggest problem is if we set the bar that high for these players our league would suffer and would no longer be entertaining, everyone should just go support their local cup sides.

LOL :lol:

Might be wise to check out the IQ scores of a few criminals before making those type of statements.

This situation has pretty much blown over already, what has it been only 3 days. There is no victim, no court case. It is done.

A big "lol" to the dickhead wowsers who thought the world was going to end (as per usual)

I love this attitude - it wasn't a crime therefore its ok. The standard is very low - stay out of jail and everything is ok. :crazy: It is a very low bar to set for behaviour.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Cheating, drug taking, and physical abuse is an issue that society faces on whole. Bestiality which is essentially what Monoghan engaged in, places him on another level. Please don't compare. What kind of human being thinks getting his genitals licked by a dog is funny? Shame! Not just for Monaghan but the other players no doubt applauding this deplorable act.

surely you cant be sitting here and trying to tell us that assault, infadelity, drug use and distribution are lesser acts than getting a dog to lick your balls for a prank?

surely not.

So because one footballer puts his c**k in a dogs mouth, there are actually mothers out there stupid enough to think that her son will soon be doing the same... just because he plays the same sport... ?

... :lol:

No, it is not the specific act that necessarily matters, it is just adding to the perception that footy is played by boofheads, and lots of mothers would prefer their children not to be future boofheads.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I love this attitude - it wasn't a crime therefore its ok. The standard is very low - stay out of jail and everything is ok. :crazy: It is a very low bar to set for behaviour.

he hasnt broken any laws
even if he was using the animal for self gratification, which he wasnt, what business is it of yours how he gets his rocks off?
are you this outraged by homosexuality?
Should we now contact you before conducting any act, to ensure it fits in with your morality?

you are free to judge him however you please but his behaviour is fine, he hasnt broken any laws. Thats the standard we set in society, its the same standard we all live by

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Lol talk about blown out of proportion. It's nothing more than a particularly disgusting prank photo. HE WAS NOT ACTUALLY RECEIVING SEXUAL GRATIFICATION FROM A DOG (I assume :lol: ). A life ban would be ridiculous, considering that actual violent criminals have received far less and are still playing in the NRL and other sports. I'm with Dean, R69 and others - the outrage over this is ridiculous. Yes he should be sacked and ridiculed for life, but ffs get over it...and watch crowds rise again next year after another fantastic season of footy.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
he hasnt broken any laws
even if he was using the animal for self gratification, which he wasnt, what business is it of yours how he gets his rocks off?
Should we now contact you before conducting any act, to ensure it fits in with your morality?

you are free to judge him however you please but his behaviour is fine, he hasnt broken any laws. Thats the standard we set in society, its the same standard we all live by

Oh dear.

Dave Q

Coach
there are basically two groups of people posting in this thread:

1.) diehard rl fans, which is admirable. Unfortunately, they are also suffering from a severe case of stupidity, which makes them completely incapable of seeing the bigger picture. They are classic examples of why RL never learns from it's mistakes. Commonly found in positions of power at RL clubs

2.) people that actually see the wider implications for this and would like to see the issue of players misbehaving addresses in a way that does not include one of the following moronic justifications:

- others players from other codes do it too
- it used to be worse when they didn't report on it
- it's not his go
- it doesn't affect ratings (allegedly) so who cares
- it doesn't hurt anyone so who cares
- players will always be stupid so suck it up

You missed the third class of persons, those of us who just want to take the piss out of monas.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The lack of perspective from the "wowser' brigade is astounding.

Let's just go through a few things.

- Andrew & Matthew Johns
Then: Admitted long term drug-user; Cheated on wife with Sharks teammates in 2002 gangbang.
Now: Celebrated brothers both with highly successful media careers.

- Nate Myles
Then: Defecated in a hallway in a hotel. Found naked in a stairwell. Alleged to be involved in the Bulldogs office-trashing incident.
Now: Celebrated Queensland & Australian front rower.

- Todd Carney
Then: DUI charges, pissing everywhere, lighting farts on fire, taking photos of himself on mobile.
Now: Celebrated Roosters 5/8th, touted as NSW's future, Dally M & RLIF Player of the Year, Kangaroo debutant.

- Reni Maitua
Then: late to training, punted by the 'Dogs, picked up by the Sharks, does drugs, two year suspension.
Now: Glorified as one of Parramatta's potential saviours in 2011.

Then of course we've got the charged but proven not-guilty of Brett Stewart, Greg Inglis and Greg Bird, all of whom are still celebrated RL players and amongst the best in the world.

And we're crucifying one bloke, who isn't a world-beater, for pulling a dog toward his dick - where there's no evidence anything further happened?

I'm not suggesting for a moment there shouldn't be consequences - but look at the track record of some of the more recent misdemeanours of RL players and Monaghan's actions really pale in comparison.

And I'm sure even then I've missed a few.

he hasnt broken any laws

As I said, avoiding problems with the criminal law is not really the standard to aspire to, it is the minimum expected, the lowest common denominator.

Most people try to be nice to each other, treat others with respect, work hard, and all that sort of stuff. Not doing these things is not against the law, but most people would think badly of others who don't.

I don't expect people to be angels - just decent people will be fine. Decent is more than avoiding trouble with the law.

Having said all that, I don't think this dog incident makes Joel Monaghan a bad person. By all reports he is quite a decent guy. However in this case he f**ked up badly.

Last edited:
surely you cant be sitting here and trying to tell us that assault, infadelity, drug use and distribution are lesser acts than getting a dog to lick your balls for a prank?

surely not.

I doubt anyone actually thinks that but for most of us things like assaults, infidelity etc etc are within the bounds of "normal" (unfortunately, but we see and hear about it on the news every day). Someone (even pretending to be) getting a blowjob from a dog is way outside the bounds of what most consider "normal".

There is also a picture of this, and it is pretty gross. No picture, the incident is still gross, but hardly makes the news.

This story makes the news because of its sheer wierdness. It has something for everyone. Depending on who you are, people can find it disgusting, cruel to the dog, stupid, gross, funny - you name it there's something for everyone

chefman21

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/we-can-fit-gi-under-the-cap-richo-20101106-17i57.html

MONAGHAN WASN'T ALONE
A LOT has been written about Joel Monaghan in recent days - and more may be said if another photo emerges. What is he like as a person? From my dealings over the years, polite, friendly, decent and, dare I say it, funny. He comes from a tremendous family who live and breathe sport. His sister works at the NRL and her husband works with players alerting them to the perils of the new media. Monaghan's issue? Alcohol, and becoming a complete moron when he drinks. He strives to be the funny guy at the centre of attention. That has led to a situation too strange and disgusting for words which means he should be sacked and most likely never play NRL again. He will now be the subject of jokes and stares for years. His good work with his local primary school has been smashed to bits. The school has written to the Raiders saying it wants nothing more to do with the Raiders or league. Nor should they, nor will they be alone. Monaghan had no choice but to come forward and it's time those who took the photo and spread it around did the same. He was the one who committed the vulgar act but he should not wear all the punishment.

Doesn't affect the image of the game amongst parents and children huh?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One primary school eh? :lol:

Perhaps someone should read them the rap sheet for all codes, AFL, Union, League, Soccer - all codes have disgusting, weird and illegal antics involved.

Latest posts