What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey considering Origin come back

DeeGan

Bench
A few things:

1. This is the Daily Telegraph and Dean Ritchie's work that has sent the morning talkback radio's in to a frenzy. As per usual, a "source" has relayed this information - there are no direct quotes from Andrew Johns himself.

Andrew Johns has stated this is likely to be his last season in the NRL in which he may look at seeking a release from the final year of his contract to play for Warrington - I cannot see Johns or the Knights moving ahead with any such Origin comeback. Johns for mine will put all his efforts in to bring one last title to Newcastle.

2. Johns's Newcastle contract states he had to retire from rep footy and only gained an exemption to play in his "farewell" test in 2006.

3. Any comeback would have to be unconditional. Johns should not be allowed to come back and play Origin yet not make himself available for the May Test and Tri-Nations.

4. At 1-1 in last year's Origin Johns ruled out any "S.O.S" for his services - what has changed? Not much - he is one year older and on his last legs in the NRL competition.

I am a huge Andrew Johns fan - this seems to be a piece designed to bring attention to the paper and fill some space on the back page after a pretty dismal one day series featuring Australia and New Zealand (we won't include England there understandably).

Personally, the more we get to see Johns in action the better though I just don't see it happening and nor should it if Johns cannot commit to the Australian jumper as well.

Bicey_18

Bench
Azkatro said:
I love the attitude of Knights supporters here, such state pride. "f**k NSW, Newcastle is more important!"

Having said that you can hardly blame them, given that Johns has led the Knights to a wooden spoon and a scratchy season topped off with a semi-final embarassment in the last two years.

So what you support your state over ur club? Your more passionate bout ur state than team? I dont think so, fact is Joey has stated he has retired from rep footy and told the knights he would solely concentrate on them... He cant now do a backflip and say.. "I wanna come back" You make a committment to your club, you stick to it.

Semi final embarrassment? Maybe, but at least we were there to be embarrased.... we didnt fall by the way side after round 6

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Bicey_18 said:
So what you support your state over ur club? Your more passionate bout ur state than team? I dont think so, fact is Joey has stated he has retired from rep footy and told the knights he would solely concentrate on them... He cant now do a backflip and say.. "I wanna come back" You make a committment to your club, you stick to it.

Semi final embarrassment? Maybe, but at least we were there to be embarrased.... we didnt fall by the way side after round 6
Pretty well summed up. Joey, FFS you have had your fairytale representative farewell. Let it go. When he signed his contract, the Knights were of the opinion that he wasn't going to play rep footy again after the aforementioned match at Lang Park. If he does decide he wants to play rep footy, and approaches the Knights, they would be well within their rights to ask him to pay them some of his contract money back.

Jesus Joey, concentrate on playing for the Knights.

Meanie

Juniors
DeeGan said:
3. Any comeback would have to be unconditional. Johns should not be allowed to come back and play Origin yet not make himself available for the May Test and Tri-Nations..

Who would you pick though, Joey or Thurston? Seems to make more sense to keep Thurston there being as he's the obvious long term solution.

jack daniels

Juniors
Meanie said:
Who would you pick though, Joey or Thurston? Seems to make more sense to keep Thurston there being as he's the obvious long term solution.

Thurston, developing a good partnership with Lockyer

yobbo84

Coach
If he comes out of retirement he should be known hereforth as Andrew "Farnham" Johns.

_Johnsy

Referee
Kiwi said:
So can NSW, infact I think it's a safe bet NZ born Willie Mason will be in a sky blue jumper this year. Oh but thats ok and not worth mentioning because he's a blues player :roll:

Kiwi the difference is willie has not played international league or union for another country and then played for nsw, he has always played for nsw Place of birth has nothing to do with your availability for a state. Either you need the rules of eligibilty explained or much better bait.

_Johnsy

Referee
Putting personal opinions aside, how can it be a bad thing to see the greatest ever 1/2 play another year of SOO ?

aarondoyle

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:

You might love your team. You might be willing to do anything for them. Buy all the stuff. Go to all the games... but when it gets down to it, there's nothing more important than Stae of Origin. The best players in the world, battling for supremacy. The greatest of the greet. The ultimate expression of an age old rivalry... a hatred at times, between Queensland and NSW in Rugby League. It brings us together as a state, and tears apart from the opposition. Former friends become enemies. Former enemies, friends.

I love my team... but nothing gets me more excited than the origin. Origin is the absolute highlight of the year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:sleeper:

This Joey stuff is even more tiring than SBW. I dare say he's past his best now - his golden days were back in 00-02 with that premiership. That's not to say he's not still a great player, but he'll struggle to save Origin - he's against Lockyer. Last time Johns laced his footy boots on, that man orchestrated a 50-6 drubbing of his side.

simon says

First Grade
QLD fans have nightmares about Johns....and why wouldnt they????He has handed them some of their biggest floggings ever.

Love watching them get rattled at the thought of him playing.

simon says

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
Putting personal opinions aside, how can it be a bad thing to see the greatest ever 1/2 play another year of SOO ?

Of course......unles you were worried that he would orchestrate a beating.:lol:

DeeGan

Bench
Meanie said:

My point has been missed.

Long term = Jonathan Thurston

Short term with Andrew Johns available = Andrew Johns assuming he is fit and in form.

The point I am making is Johns cannot have his way all yet again.

Andrew Johns either declares he is available for all representative fixtures or he is not available at all as it should be for all players, not just Joey. End of story.

We can't have a repeat of the 2005 or 2006 with Johns.

In 2005 he chose to play for Warrington before his country and in 2006 he was given an exemption from all rep football barring the May Test which was his farewell.

Once again, Johns has not been quoted and I think we will find the Daily Telegraph has yet again created a story using their credible "sources" :lol:

DeeGan

Bench
simon says said:
I can hear the teeth chattering from north of the border......"the horror"

You caught us :sarcasm:

Thanks for contributing to the thread - great reading.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
jack daniels said:
No, he owes them, all nrl players are way overpaid

In the scheme of international sport they are horribly under paid. It is the most physically demanding sport in the world.