What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey Interview Your Thoughts

The Preacher

First Grade
Angry_eel said:
Was it me or did he look like he was a bit drunk. It could be pressure but he just looked a bit f**ked.

No, it wasn't just you. I also thought he looked like he was pissed. I'll never know if he was or not, but he looked it to me, and I spent 20 years running and working in pubs and clubs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Angry_eel said:
I mean i never heard about him being a drug taker or anything so i thought he must be clean.

There have been stories doing the rounds for years about Joey (and plenty of other high-profile players) being spotted out on the gear. The only bullsh*t they still seem to be clinging to is the "my drugs hell" bollocks, recreational drugs aren't hell, they're fun.... THATS WHY PEOPLE USE THEM. (not saying they're advisable or good for you though)

innsaneink

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
There have been stories doing the rounds for years about Joey (and plenty of other high-profile players) being spotted out on the gear. The only bullsh*t they still seem to be clinging to is the "my drugs hell" bollocks, recreational drugs aren't hell, they're fun.... THATS WHY PEOPLE USE THEM. (not saying they're advisable or good for you though)

Yeh because every drug affects every body exactly the same way.
Moron.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Yeh because every drug affects every body exactly the same way.
Moron.

So you believe the whole "my drugs hell" bollocks from Johns then? bullsh*t, I'll bet he's loved the last decade.

innsaneink

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
So you believe the whole "my drugs hell" bollocks from Johns then? bullsh*t, I'll bet he's loved the last decade.
You think he enjoyed his stint in the clink?.
You think he enjoyed last nite?
You think he enjoyed living a lie for over a decade?
You think he enjoyed the worry of getting busted with the increase of drug tresting.
Youthink he enjoyed the lows after the massive highs?

Im sure he enjoyed part of it. But that parts all artificial isnt it...reality hits everyone eventually.

I dunno if hes hit rock bottom so to speak....he may well continue on his merry within a month or so, the way he has the last 10 years ....though most people with issues with drugs need something out of their control like an arrest, an OD, or similarly dramatic event to ram it home just where theyre heading.

sharknows

Bench
I thought the interview by Gould was pathetic. He didn't listen to what Joey said in that he only occasionally took drugs during the season but more so in the off season. It seems all interviewers these days clasp onto one part of a story only and hammer it. Joey over indulges in everything and plays hard on and off the paddock. I am dead set against drugs and certainly don't condone his use of them but I really do think there is a huge difference between so called recreational drugs and performance enhancing drugs. I really can't see how he could be driven to drugs from all the pressure. He was being paid a fortune to do what he loves...playing footy. I wish I had to go through life with that pressure. In fact Joey has always appeared to me as a very laid back and unflappable type of character. Maybe he should have just admitted what a party animal and lair he is rather than trying to make up the bullshyt about pressure and depression.

smeghead

Bench
I actually thought it was a good interview.

IMO Johns tried to squirm his way out of it a little but Gould stopped that from happening in the most part. Using depressions as an excuse/reason is pretty weak from where I sit but I am not in his position so it is impossible to guage the truth on that one.

Gould did look absolutley shatterd, M Johns looked the most "real" I have seen him in a very long time, Geyer looked like Geyer and Chief looked sh*t scared, Johns actually looked at him when he said Yes I think my club knew. They are good mates, of course Harrogan, a board member of the Knights, knew their highest profile star was using illicit substances.

Although I am waiting for the atypical crows of Mason and co to come out and jump on this little bandwagon of how hard life as an NRL star is etc

Fatdog

Juniors
When I heard he was using the "I've got depression excuse" i almost punched the wall. Every time someone does something wrong these days its either a "brain explosion" (whatever that is) or they have depression.
It seems that depression can be used as an excuse because no-one can prove you haven't got it.
I sat down to watch the interview last night angry that Joey was using this excuse. I was angry beacuse I had suffered a 5 year stint on anti-depresants and I know how serious this condition is, and it shouldn't be used as an excuse to drug taking,
To my suprise by the end of the interview my emotions had gone from anger to almost crying for Joey. Unless Joey had done a crash course in depression in the last 24 hours I am almost certain he is or was suffering from depression.
The ups and downs you have are almost unbeleivable. One minute your king of the world, the next you in bed for days on end.
Its a lot harder to admit you have depression when you seem to have everything going for you. I know how hard it was for me to get some help and I only the had the expectations of my friends and family on me. Andrew Johns had the expectations of his family, friends and the entire Rugby League community to live up to.
I'm glad the headlines were only about him getting caught for drugs. Depression alcohol and drug taking one way or another only get the person closer to the grave. It could have been a lot worse.
I wish Andrew all the best.

langpark

First Grade
I thought it was a good interview too, credit to gould for leaving no stone unturned and asking all the hard-hitting questions. And yeah i guess credit to johns to for having the balls to face the media straight after it happened, in an in-depth interview, unlike ben cousins. BUT, just coz he doesn't play anymore doesn't mean he can't still be punished IMO. I think he should still be fined, especially if Knights paid out his contract for this season.

This whole this is gonna bring the integrity of many others into question as well, including the NRL itself IMO. This is just the beginning of something huge.

JB

Juniors
To me that interview was all about damage control.

It was his initial statement that "somebody slipped it in my pocket, and i forgot" that most people we're taking him to task for, and could have done him even more damage had he stuck with it.

The Footy Show provided an outlet for him to come on, fess up, and be all contrite. But the interview definitely had an agenda behind it, which was damage control. No doubt masterminded by messrs Gould,Vautin and brother Matty.

St. Brett

Juniors
I've got out of bed early to race on the internet to e-mail letters to the editor as my word is the word of the lord.

My opinion is all that counts.

They better publish this or it's a knuckle sandwhich.

So, what Andrew Johns was saying on The Footy Show is that the last ten years of his life has been either a lie or a charade and that he fabricated his on field happyness?
And fame and fortune contributed to this?
People of Newcastle, see what your obsession with the man has caused?
Had Johns not been exposed in England would he have kept experimenting?
Me thinks so!
Was Anna Woods death not a deterrent?
Are you people aware that these ecstasy/ice related drugs are made up of broken down petrol, Morning Fresh washing up liquid, Muriactic Acid, Acetone and other hidden nasties? All amphetamine's are alike and all are deadly. This ain't no joke Mr. Johns!
Didn't your sons face go through your mind when you were popping this sh*t for a cheap high? Don't cheat your son out of a dad, Johns!
Jesus, just pop a Fiorinal and gulp down two beers if you want a buzz.
Does this tarnish Johns chances of becoming a rugby league immortal?

How many of you from here pop this sh*t as well?

Edited to say ohh man look an error! on field? ON FIELD? Jesus atch!

perverse

Referee
to those of you doubting that depression can lead one to drugs - don't think that because he's a high profile athlete and has lots of money he is immune. it is a mental illness - and it can happen to anyone. i've seen it many times before in my own life, and it is perfectly valid. the fact is you don't know sh*t about the man other than what you are told.. and the fact that you can judge someone based purely off speculation is pathetic.

i do think the club and the nrl (although the club in particular) have a lot of explaining to do here. the club knew what was going on and did nothing to help the man. if joey was indeed self medicating (and how can you doubt his honesty in the interview? particularly when he has thrown a lot of people into hot water in the process).. then it is a very serious mental condition that should have been addressed by the club and his mates. instead they let him continue in the downward spiral.

once again - don't judge people on something you clearly know nothing about.

and gaddes.. no.. actually i'm not even going to bother with you..

St. Brett

Juniors
Perverse

And what makes you such an authority?

Who are you to speak on his behalf, asshole?

It's probably people like Perverse who lingered around his house, took photo's of him collecting his mail and followed him while he shopped, hounding him at every angle.
I saw Johns one day at Gosford get really annoyed at some kids because they wouldn't leave him alone.
You people of Newcastle have to share some responsibility.
Was it the same as Jennifer Hawkins? Does that Silver chair guy share the same feelings?

Ask me and I'd say Johns is an ungretful spoilt brat who has let everybody down but then you Newcastle boys have a habit of popping and inhaling illegal drugs. Right Mcdougal?

Is it that whole surf culture up there?

I'm sorry but to rule the game and have everybody's hopes pinned on your chest only to reveal you have a penchant for illegal substances doesn't sit to well with me.
Mother f**kers idolised this guy and seen him as a god, like Pharlap, and now all your hopes have been diminished because of this self admission (only after he was made!)

Hey little Johny...your idol, Andrew Johns, has a taste for illicit substances. He's making a statement. You never really knew him after all, eh?

This guy had it all yet he wanted more. It wasn't enough that people looked up to him, he had to sink to Kurt Cobain levels to escape reality. Ain't it suck going sober? It's hard isn't it?

What, are we to feel sorry for him?

How he's mixing depression with alcohol and drugs is a smack in the face!

I was only saying to the olds last night that nobody wants to take responsibility anymore today.
You kill somebody right now you just blame it on Anxiety or Depression as your defense.
Mental illness is taking a battering today cheaply. Same as God.

I bet he had the time of his life while high yet it was only until he was made did he confess.
Now he becomes the poster boy for say no to campaigns.
This would have continued and continued until he was exposed down the track.
Living a life of a lie is a crime in itself.
Maybe all you people saying he's the greatest ever.....maybe he didn't see himself as that all powering human.
Maybe he thought one day....hey, I'm only human I'm still human these Newcastle people think I'm God, or Superman, I can't live up to that when I'm mowing the lawn or fixing a shower head. Hey, I can't do everything I'm only human you know?

Do yourself a favor and watch the movie The Fan with De Niro and Snipes.
Some of you die hard NRL supporters do this to althletes.
You go overboard.
You push others to the brink.
Your obsessive natures are scary.

Dogaholic

First Grade
St. Brett said:
Ask me and I'd say he's an ungretful spoilt brat who has let everybody down but then you Newcastle boys has a habit of popping and inhaling illegal drugs.

Is it that whole surf culture up there?

One of their politicians is in jail for drugs amongst other things - Milton Orkopolous. Must be in the culture up Newcastle way.

perverse

Referee
Dogaholic said:
One of their politicians is in jail for drugs amongst other things - Milton Orkopolous. Must be in the culture up Newcastle way.
a bulldogs fan getting smarmy about culture? ha, now i've seen it all.

people in glass houses...

Dogaholic

First Grade
I remember someone mentioning Karma somewhere. It has certainly come around. All the taunts or rap*st i have copped from buck toothed bogans from newcastle.

Channel 9 should put Gus on sixty minutes - he is a great interviewer. As for johns it's a sign of the times with lack of discipline/lack of goals and direction and too many excuses and societies soft approach to any problem - Military service has to be introduced for all 18 year olds - 3 years and 2 weeks a year for all others upto 65 years of age.

My wife works in the health system CMO 3 and they have to deal with all these people high on who knows what and all with varying degrees of mental health problems.- Some curable and many uncurable.

To take drugs in the first place one has to have some type of mental health problem which needs to be addressed at the start not when it's too late.

the youth need to wake up to themselves

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pretty good interview I thought Gould asked the right questions, certainly got a lot out of Johns. Takes a lot of guts to speak out in front of so many viewers.

This will change his life, I think him getting caught by police and then speaking out was probably a turning point.

And I hope the changes the way of other players who have done the same thing or still doing it.