What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey Johns Says SACK ricky Stuart

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If you want the club to fold.
But hey, I reckon he should just back off by 30% & that should fix things.

SACK coach Ricky Stuart!

That would be the easy option for struggling Cronulla. Punt the coach and appease some disgruntled fans and critics of the club by making him the scapegoat for what's not happening with the team.

How many times have we seen a coach pay the price when his side fails to perform?

It's almost become a natural reaction to want to sack someone (usually the coach) if things aren't going well just to be seen to be doing something.

Of course, getting rid of Stuart would do far more harm than good and send the Sharks further into the mire than they already are.

He is one of the best coaches in the game. No one is more passionate about his club and his players.

The Sharks' problems aren't coach related. There is now a smell about the place and it's come directly from the perception the club is on its financial death bed.

Now, I don't know how bad the financial situation is at Cronulla.

But nothing you read or hear about the place is positive, even from inside the Sharks' ranks.

There has been talk they are not spending up to the salary cap level and that the budget for the club's lower grades has been slashed because money is so tight.

Whatever the case, the pessimism surrounding the club's future is doing nothing to improve the one area the Sharks must improve if they are to be a force again - player recruitment.

Looking at their roster right now, the Sharks have great promise in many areas.

In Kade Snowden and Luke Douglas, they have two of the best young props in the game.

They have a world class back-rower in Paul Gallen, exciting young backs in Blake Ferguson, Isaac Gordon and Albert Kelly and there are raps on Luke O'Donnell's younger brother Kyle.

But the team lacks experience and it lacks quality in key areas.

Trent Barrett has been great for the club but is nearing the end of his career. John Morris is more a solid utility player than a first string hooker and to be fair, as a centre pairing, Dean Collis and Taulima Tautai aren't going to put the fear of God into the opposition.

One of the Sharks' key off-season buys, Adam Cuthbertson has struggled to get anywhere near the form which regularly saw him chosen in Manly's 17-man NRL squad.

Stuart is doing the best he can with an inferior playing roster devoid of world-class players.

It really is as simple as that.

To become a premiership force again in the short term, the Sharks desperately need two or three top-shelf recruits in the right positions.

The problem with that is they will have to pay big overs to entice anyone because not too many players will be keen to join an under-performing club with a black cloud hanging over its future.

It all gets back to finances, something the Sharks are obviously not flush with.

I know their president Damien Irvine personally and I know how passionate he is about the Sharks.

I know he and Stuart will be doing whatever it takes to lift the Sharks out of the basement.

But there is no quick fix to the sort of problems the club is facing unless they get some financial muscle.

Until then, fans just need to be patient and stick solid.

troy

Juniors
Spot on Joey.

Then again Andrew Johns wouldn't know as much about Ricky as a coach and what is needed at our club then the brilliant minds on this forum!

He's exactly right stop blaming the coach!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Stuart is doing the best he can with an inferior playing roster devoid of world-class players.

It really is as simple as that.

To become a premiership force again in the short term, the Sharks desperately need two or three top-shelf recruits in the right positions.

But joey, Millersnose said our squad is worth the same as every other squad!!!

buck__naked

Juniors
A fairly rubbish article. Nothing in there that hasn't been said before in the past.
Johns was a great player but as a commentator or media identity he has to be one of the worst along with Filtler and Tallis.

troy

Juniors
Johns was a great player but as a commentator or media identity he has to be one of the worst along with Filtler and Tallis.[/QUOTE]

What so just because he's not a great commentator you think he doesn't have great knowledge of the game?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
A fairly rubbish article. Nothing in there that hasn't been said before in the past.
Johns was a great player but as a commentator or media identity he has to be one of the worst along with Filtler and Tallis.

So you are saying that you know more than Johns, Fittler or Tallis?
But if you think those 3 are bad, I will trump you with Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny & Brett Kimmorley.
But All of those guys know what they are talking about, due to their first grade career experience. Do you think you know better?

carcharias

Immortal
so would Bennett be a good commentator?

I'll take the word of the one of the worlds best players over anyone in here.

Feej

First Grade
Until then, fans just need to be patient and stick solid.
Like we have for the past 40+ years.

Unfortunately I think it's too late - The development, a possible competitive team in the future and the new board. The damage was done years ago and it's self perpetuating. Watching this all unfold is akin to watching someone slowy die from cancer, and I'd rather the club pass now than put us through this pain for the next eighteen months or so.

I hate what I just wrote. Go ahead and call me a wrist-slitter or whatever you want, but if you can sit there and honestly say that we arent going down that path, i'd love to hear why.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with the same thoughts.

The Dodger

First Grade
There is now a smell about the place and it's come directly from the perception the club is on its financial death bed.

i was thinking this back from the first few rounds.

the players are lacking motivation due to having the feeling their club will eventually fold and that no other player would want to come here.

Samshark had a swipe at me for saying that it looked like barrett didn't really care when on the field but hearing this makes me believe there is more truth to that than being just an assumption.

I am guessing that he cannot get a decent gig anywhere else and is not entirely happy about staying at cronulla (if the do decide to extend his contract for a year).

players probably look at cronulla as a last resort.

we cannot attract much quality and the majority of players that have left our club the last year or so were only purchased for depth.

none of them are 1st graders.

maybe its a sign of things to come.
maybe not.

millersnose

Post Whore
That would be the easy option for struggling Cronulla.

i wouldnt argue too much with that

How many times have we seen a coach pay the price when his side fails to perform?

often

i beleive twice at the sharks within the last decade and it happens at the roosters, the national coach and even the knights

maybe those clubs are trying different ingredients

hey reefy

do you agree with johns in regards to kimmorley or do you know better than him?

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Like we have for the past 40+ years.

Unfortunately I think it's too late - The development, a possible competitive team in the future and the new board. The damage was done years ago and it's self perpetuating. Watching this all unfold is akin to watching someone slowy die from cancer, and I'd rather the club pass now than put us through this pain for the next eighteen months or so.

I hate what I just wrote. Go ahead and call me a wrist-slitter or whatever you want, but if you can sit there and honestly say that we arent going down that path, i'd love to hear why.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with the same thoughts.

I hated to read it...but its the feeling I get too.
Its a vicious circle, need money - cant buy quality players - need more ticket sales - cant win without quality players - ticket sales down- need money.
Unless a knight in shining armour with a bag full of money comes along to prop us up till we are on our feet, I have to agree with feej...a slow, lingering death.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I hated to read it...but its the feeling I get too.
Its a vicious circle, need money - cant buy quality players - need more ticket sales - cant win without quality players - ticket sales down- need money.
Unless a knight in shining armour with a bag full of money comes along to prop us up till we are on our feet, I have to agree with feej...a slow, lingering death.

I thoroughly enjoy supporting the Sharks. If they are gone, a huge part of me will be missing forever.
All of our problems, on & off the field are financially based. You would have to be an idiot to not see that. To think that somebody or some people are unable to turn that around, is also idiotic, defeatism.
I would much prefer to see my team die a slow agonising death, but at least be having a crack, then to not have a team at all.
I cant begin to imagine the amount of pressure the players & coaching staff are under at present. The game is hard enough as it is without the added pressure of what the crowd figures are like & that a win this week, could help the club survive for another 2 weeks.
There is no way that can be shielded from them.
If the club had it's last million dollars to spare I know what some in here would spend it on.
A new coach & 1 or 2 new centres.
I would spend the money on more management in the right areas & with clear targets on revenue generation & ideas.
But hey, I dont go into work monday mornings & get on the email about how my team went. I know what is more important to that pathetic crowd.

buck__naked

Juniors
I'm not saying that I know more than those guys. I'm just saying that that article points out nothing new.
Everyone already knew:

Douglas and Snowden are great young props
We have some outside backs with potential
Gallen is world class back rower
We are lacking quality players in key areas
and we would have to pay overs to secure quality players because of where we sit on the ladder.

Just show me something in this article that anyone in the forum didn't already know.

millersnose

Post Whore
I agree completely with Mr Johns.

SYDNEY, Sept 17 AAP - Injured Australian halfback Andrew Johns today threw his support behind Gorden Tallis for the coveted captaincy position ahead of the October 12 Test against New Zealand. Johns also backed Brett Kimmorley to replace him in the Australian No.7 jersey

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P1-67872240.html

good to hear reefy

reading your posts over the last few years i thought you were of the opinion that noddy wasnt a good halfback

now here you are agreeing with johns that noddy is actually an australian level halfback

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I agree that at the time in the severe shortage of halfbacks, Kimmorley was the best option as a ball distributor to darren lockyer, in the Australian Team.

Geez you had to look everywhere for that 1 piece, all the way back to 2002!!

Latest posts