What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey risks his future

Mr Saab

Referee
no he is not refusing to play for australia forever, but it is not really fair that he dictates when he plays for australia. I dont agree with that.
I have zero problems with him playing in england, but if one game clashes with and australian test then he should play for australia. Dont use the argument that "he might not be picked" as thats BS to the extreme. We all know he will be picked to play.

I do hope he doesnt get injured over there playing for the Wolves...like a serious injury.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I thnik it's fair that if you get toplay in a major game, like a grand final, consideration be given.

What the anti Johns people like you forget is that this is not just Warrington v Halifax in a club game in front of 3 goats and a pig, it's the GRAND FINAL.

You are, basically, saying that the English Grand Final is of no significance.

I cannot fathom that stance, especially people saying that 'we need to boost international football'

I reckon international football would be better served with the worlds best player drawing a large TV audience in GB to a grand final, than laying on 40 points in another Kiwi rout. In fact, International league would best be served with a Kiwi win.

Kiwis win - International League gets a boost.
Joey with Warrington in a GF - UK league gets a boost.

How is International League served by hanging the worlds best player out to dry?

Misty Bee

First Grade
And before the trolls return with their 'Joey doesn't give a rats about his country" remember who was playing for Australia in the '97 World Cup decider while most of your Super League players were on their arse counting Ruperts $$$$.

Mr Saab

Referee
Johns has stated that next yrs origin campaign is his last (part of his contract) thus he wont be playing test football anymore.
I just find it hard that a player who has missed so much Oz rep football will even consider missing another test match.

you would love the kiwis to win, then you would just give it to bennett and say how crap he is....i know how you work misty.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
And before the trolls return with their 'Joey doesn't give a rats about his country" remember who was playing for Australia in the '97 World Cup decider while most of your Super League players were on their arse counting Ruperts $$$$.

there was a world cup in 1997?? who played in the final?

dont bring SL into this again...the SL players were guaranteed international football for 1997 and they got that.
There is alot of legal argument that comes into this and it is alot more complicated than "player X turned his back on australia"

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
The World Cup was on in 1995 and Joey was there counting Kerry's money. The Super League player's were not considered by the ARL selectors

Misty Bee

First Grade
Typo. Meant '95.

When SL players turned their back on their clubs, code and country.

And with Bennet, regardless of the score, Kiwis would win. Either those in black and white would be cheering, or Thorn and Carroll.

Thorn and Carroll - those exempt from the "Turn your back on your country and die you scum" law.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The World Cup was on in 1995 and Joey was there counting Kerry's money. The Super League player's were not considered by the ARL selectors

Nothing wrong with a windfall for being honest. At least he didn't turn his back on his country, like Ricky Stuart.

He was promised the Test skippers job. He turned it down for $$$$$$.

Mr Saab

Referee
yeah you are a comedian misty.
SL wasa terrible time in the game, but dont think the SL players were the only winners in this $$$$$$$$$$$ wise.
Read Brad Fittlers book and the crazy amounts he was given by James Packer.
Read Goulds book and see the crazy amounts the "parra 4" were given...and also the knights and dragons players.
Dont think for a second that it was 100% about loyalty to the ARL...you are kidding yourself if you think that. The almighty dollar dictated who went where.

I cant believe anyone thinks that anyone involved in the game between 1994 and 1998 has any moral high ground in regards to the SL war.

EVERYONE was greedy, EVERYONE was in it for themselves and EVERYONE put themselves before the good of the game.

To single out Johns (Who at the time was just a promising young player) is ridiculous.

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Typo. Meant '95.

When SL players turned their back on their clubs, code and country.

And with Bennet, regardless of the score, Kiwis would win. Either those in black and white would be cheering, or Thorn and Carroll.

Thorn and Carroll - those exempt from the "Turn your back on your country and die you scum" law.
The Super League players never turned their back on their club. They backed their clubs up. Why are you bringing up the past with mistruths?

Mr Saab

Referee
Green Machine said:
The Super League players never turned their back on their club. They backed their clubs up. Why are you bringing up the past with mistruths?

misty is good at that.
misty wouldnt know a fact/truth if he tripped over it.

Razor

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
see if you are going to post something like this it is best to check the facts.
D Lockyer have never ever refused to play a test match.

And if he was picked he would have refused to play. He has said that.

But regardless you didn't have a problem with the 8 players refusing to play still playing.

dont bring SL into this again...the SL players were guaranteed international football for 1997 and they got that.

Yes exhibition internationals. Any match records don't count. But they refused to play when picked in 1996 saying "I don't care if I ever play for Australia again", "Playing for Australia means nothing to me", etc.

Since then Sailor is the only one who has come out and said "I would have loved to have played, but we were told that if we played we would have had our contracts torn up". The other 7 have never come out and said they lied about not wanting to play for Australia.

Razor

Coach
Green Machine said:

Players like Stevens, Tallis, etc. turned the back on the clubs to go to the dark side.

Mr Saab

Referee
Razor said:
And if he was picked he would have refused to play. He has said that.

But regardless you didn't have a problem with the 8 players refusing to play still playing.

Yes exhibition internationals. Any match records don't count. But they refused to play when picked in 1996 saying "I don't care if I ever play for Australia again", "Playing for Australia means nothing to me", etc.

Since then Sailor is the only one who has come out and said "I would have loved to have played, but we were told that if we played we would have had our contracts torn up". The other 7 have never come out and said they lied about not wanting to play for Australia.

when on earth has Lockyer said that? thats a load of BS. Lockyer was not even in contention to be picked thus would never have made such a statement
What you wrote is both slanderous and defammatory.

who says i didnt have a problem with the 8 players in 1996? find me a quote where i said that???????????

Misty Bee

First Grade

Wanna run that statement by Dragons fans from 1995?

Besides, Canberra players chose club footy over representing their country.

If it was good enough for YOUR halfback in 1995 to knock back Test captaincy and refuse to play for Australia ever again, for club football, what'swrong with Joey doing it for one lousy match?

Lies, more lies and hypocracy. Wake up to yourself!!!!!

Razor

Coach
Green Machine said:

Even if they were considered they wouldn't have played because they "couldn't care less if ever play for Australia again" which they said during the year when the ARL announced the ban, and proved in 1996 when the ARL did pick them and they all pulled out. It amazes me people bring this up to criticise the ARL, when the SL players said BEFORE the World Cup that they didn't care if they played for Australia or not. You should have players that WANT to play.

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Nothing wrong with a windfall for being honest. At least he didn't turn his back on his country, like Ricky Stuart.

He was promised the Test skippers job. He turned it down for $$$$$$.

That's right. He turned down Jamie and Bozo for the Raiders. The Super League Players were available for the 1995 World Cup. They even went to court and the judge told the ARL to consider them. The ARL considered them and did not pick them. The offer that the ARL made to Ricky says a lot about being more loyal to the Raiders over the Arko and Packer Show. Apparently he knocked back the Australian Captaincy of the Arko and Packer Show to less money to stay loyal to the Raiders

Razor

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
when on earth has Lockyer said that? thats a load of BS. Lockyer was not even in contention to be picked thus would never have made such a statement
What you wrote is both slanderous and defammatory.

He was rated an outside chance and was asked in an interview when the players refused to play, that if he were to be picked as a replacement would he play. He answered no.

who says i didnt have a problem with the 8 players in 1996? find me a quote where i said that???????????

You have never said they should have been banned for playing for life

Razor

Coach
Green Machine said:
That's right. He turned down Jamie and Bozo for the Raiders. The Super League Players were available for the 1995 World Cup. They even went to court and the judge told the ARL to consider them.

But they also said "I don't care if they ever play for Australia again" - why would the ARL want players that don't care?

Latest posts