What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey risks his future

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Until Justice Burchett's decision canned Traitor League for '96, when they slinked back, after cuasing a round of forfeits.

But ignore that they forfeited games. Ignore that Stuart ditched a national jumper to play Traitor League.
The good Justice Burchett's decision was wrong and his fellow judges thought so as well
Misty Bee said:
Just crucify Johns for trying to honour a contract, and asking for an exemption toplay one grand final.
Take it up with Charlie. I wish Andrew Johns the best

Mr Saab

Referee
Razor said:
I said I didn't agree with them, but that's what they said. And they asked him the question which you said they didn't

Lockyer did play the exhibition tests in 1997, so he couldn't have been to far behind in 1996.

And with Misty saying that you live in Sydney, you wouldn't have been able to listen to ths show. So how would you know that they didn't ask that? Or are you making excuses for Lockyer now?

willie tonga played a test match in 2004....doesnt mean he was close in 2003 whilst playing with the eels does it?
Things change in one yr

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Razor, Charlie is a Sydneysider, born and bred, who hates his state.

And he bags Joey for not putting all aside to represent!

Hypocrite!!!!

yes i hate my state of NSW :roll:
you should be a reporter with the Terrorgraph. They turn non stories into BS.
Jason Gillespie said he would consider coming home from england and the papers turn into Gillespie waves the white flag and wants to come home.

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
You moron. Packer had zip to do ith the selection of the Test side. Stuart dudded his country - fact.

But you are obviously clouded in judgement and hypocracy.

Anyway, the jumper Stuart turned down is the same jumper Joey wants toplay for. And Joey is not turning it down.

Maybe the drugs are affecting your judgement. Maybe you don't take drugs, and are naturally stupid. Why bother.

The word out is the Joey could get more money to play for Warrington on his short stint than what Newcastle are paying him for the season. I hope he gets the Wolfs to the Grand Final. I think it would be great exposure for Rugby League in the UK,

bluesbreaker

Bench
There's been 18 pages of this sh*t? Fair dinks. Just goes to show how jealous some people are of the great man. Laughable that the Queenslanders are taking the moral grounds and talking about loyalty - especially with Super League still in our minds - and also how every 4th Queensland representative was born in another country/has played for another country.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Green Machine said:
The word out is the Joey could get more money to play for Warrington on his short stint than what Newcastle are paying him for the season. I hope he gets the Wolfs to the Grand Final. I think it would be great exposure for Rugby League in the UK,

I think the maximum he can be paid is like 100,000 pounds, which is nowhere near what Newcastle are paying him.

Green Machine

First Grade
Razor said:
Yes he put club before country. And not a major club game, but run-of-the-mill week-to-week club games. You don't have a problem with that. But you have a problem with Johns putting a GRAND FINAL before international football?

Say last year if Canberra made the Grand Final and New Zealand and England had a test match arranged for that week, you'd have insisted Wiki play for the Kiwis rather than help your club win the Grand Final?
I've got no problem with Andrew Johns going to play for Warrington. I raised the issue of Misty about bringing up mistruths from the past. I personally think the NRL/ARL/Super League should take the blame for scheduling a Grand Final and Test Match on the same weekend,

Green Machine

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
I think the maximum he can be paid is like 100,000 pounds, which is nowhere near what Newcastle are paying him.
I don't know about that. I read an article a few years ago about how money is transferred from a tax haven to his bank account, whilst a player is in transit on a flight from England to Australia that gets around all the tax problems. Very interesting stuff

Mr Saab

Referee
Green Machine said:
I don't know about that. I read an article a few years ago about how money is transferred from a tax haven to his bank account, whilst a player is in transit on a flight from England to Australia that gets around all the tax problems. Very interesting stuff

thats true...plus there are off shore accounts and other tricky ways of paying a player a fair sum of money without being caught

Razor

Coach
The most laughable position on this is Gordon Tallis and Steve Renouf have been highly critical of Johns decision to put a club before international duty. Those 2 players not only put a club before international duty they put money before international duty. And Tallis and Renouf actually support the calls that should Johns not play he should never play for Australia again. So these 2 players are hypocrits. Tallis should be immediatly sacked from the NRL board after his totally baseless attacks on Kennedy and Johns. He doesn't even hide where his allegiences lie.

The good Justice Burchett's decision was wrong and his fellow judges thought so as well

The appeal wasn't unaniminous it was 2-1. And SL didn't win everything.

I've got no problem with Andrew Johns going to play for Warrington. I raised the issue of Misty about bringing up mistruths from the past. I personally think the NRL/ARL/Super League should take the blame for scheduling a Grand Final and Test Match on the same weekend,

You didn't answer my question.

Last year(or earlier) Canberra made the Grand Final, and the same week there was a Kiwi/England test match. Would you have insisted that Wiki not play in the Grand Final and play the test match instead?

Rammo

Juniors
bartman said:
So as long as Warrington keep winning, I reckon Joey will choose the 10K pounds per game over playing for Australia? Question is who will get the Aussie halfback spot in his absence...

Johnathon Thurston

Green Machine

First Grade
Razor said:
The most laughable position on this is Gordon Tallis and Steve Renouf have been highly critical of Johns decision to put a club before international duty. Those 2 players not only put a club before international duty they put money before international duty. And Tallis and Renouf actually support the calls that should Johns not play he should never play for Australia again. So these 2 players are hypocrits. Tallis should be immediatly sacked from the NRL board after his totally baseless attacks on Kennedy and Johns. He doesn't even hide where his allegiences lie.
Tallis didn’t put country before club. He was not an Australian player at the start of Super League. But like you, I’m not a fan of Tallis being on the NRL board as well. What you should do is write a letter to the Courier Mail demanding Tallis stand down immediately,
Razor said:
The appeal wasn't unaniminous it was 2-1. And SL didn't win everything.
Gee, I thought it was comprehensive. I heard John Singleton compare the decision to being beat 100 to nil
Razor said:
You didn't answer my question.

Last year(or earlier) Canberra made the Grand Final, and the same week there was a Kiwi/England test match. Would you have insisted that Wiki not play in the Grand Final and play the test match instead?

Sorry, I didn’t realise I had to answer your question. I didn’t answer it out of good manners. It’s a bit like a “What if” type question, that has little or next to no chance of happening. What if your aunty had balls, would she be your uncle? I could never imagine the New Zealand Rugby League scheduling a test match with Great Britain on the same weekend as the NRL Grand Final. Considering one of the 16 NRL clubs is a team called the New Zealand Warriors. That would a great “what if” though. What would the Warriors player’s do if they made the NRL Grand Final?

Kiwi

First Grade
19 pages :lol:

Lets sum up what will probably happen here.

Johns will probably miss the first game in the tri nations and play the rest, some agree, some don't as why that should or shouldn't happen. But lets be realistic here, it'll happen.

Lockyer will captain Australia, much the same as before, some will agree, some wont. But thats what'll happen.

What I find funny, is the same people that think it's alright for Johns to put a 6 game contract for a club he has had nothing to do with untill a few weeks ago ahead of his country, also think he should captain his country.

perverse

Referee
Kiwi said:
What I find funny, is the same people that think it's alright for Johns to put a 6 game contract for a club he has had nothing to do with untill a few weeks ago ahead of his country, also think he should captain his country.
the reason for this is simple, look at the effect he has on players around him. he makes stars into. buderus, the great player he is now, would not be in the same position if he had not worked with joey for so long. this is only a tiny example, but watch any team he plays with lift. players respect him like no other, and that wont change just because he misses the first tri-nations game. he is a born leader.

it's about picking the best person for the job. having said that i'm quite happy for lockyer to keep his spot (as captain) as well, i just think joey is better equiped for the role.

Mr Saab

Referee
joey is a born leader yet wants to play in a game that has zero meaning to him instead of captaining his country...not the characteristics of a captain.
Captaincy is not about being the best player in the world.

Kiwi

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
joey is a born leader yet wants to play in a game that has zero meaning to him instead of captaining his country...not the characteristics of a captain.

I agree 100%

Fittler wasn't classed as the best player in the world for alot of his stint as Australian captain.

We shouldn't start inventing criteria just for Johns.

Charlie Saab said:

Your are a purebreed arrogant conceded twat.

Joey's leadership abilities outshine lockyers so much it isnt funny.

You QLD'ers have such big self esteem problems its pitiful, anything not in QLD's favour is a mortal insult, the way you's carry on is so whingy and whiney that its like nails on a chalkboard.

Mr Saab

Referee
why am i arrogant?
All you knights and blues loving wankers want Johns as captain of his country yet he doesnt know if he will play for australia or play a mickey mouse game in england. Those are not the qualities of a captain of Australia.
Joeys heart will be sooooooooooo into Warrington....3-4 games and he will be "one of them". Please....give me a bag so i can throw up

Razor

Coach
That would a great “what if” though. What would the Warriors player’s do if they made the NRL Grand Final?

Play in the Grand Final and skip the test. But I'm not the one who says Johns should skip the Grand Final.

Your continual failure to answer tells me that you want him to not play for his country but to play the Grand Final. Exactly the same as Johns is doing.

So a Grand Final has zero meaning to a player now?

Even Gillmeister basically said Johns should be captain. Of course he said Lockyer should be captain, but also said he needs backup because he isn't a born leader like Johns, Tallis and Fittler who can do it themselves. That's what he wrote in defence of Lockyers poor showing as captain in the SOO.

Latest posts