What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey swears officials got it all wrong -SMH

albi

Juniors
What's the bet that Joey's the special guest (again) of the footy show this week? We can then look forward to some hard hitting probing questions from Matty and the Chief.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
meltiger said:
Johns was right though, "15,000 people saw it" - It was a terrible call, no matter what the Johns haters want to beleive. Yes Newcastle may not have scored from the subsequent possession but the blind referee and touchie took away any chance of them being able to do that.
Save the tar brush, I think Johns is one of the greatest players of this generation. But that's hardly the point... or perhaps therein lies part of the problem.

Referees make wrong decisions every weekend and, as we have seen, players get sent from the field for dissent. The officials have made it very clear that they will not tolerate abuse from players. Unless we can establish that some players are officially above the game, I can't see why this is any different.

Iafeta

Referee
meltiger said:
Yes, because kids copy everything they see/hear on tv ... :roll:

Not everything.

But they certainly view sports people as role models.

How many people took up leg spinning when Shane Warne came onto the scene? It is was not pure coincidence. It wasn't as if leg spin suddenly came back into vogue all at once. They took Warne's success and tried to make a go of it.

How many young New Zealand polynesian kids wanted to be the next Jonah Lomu? Many. Coincidence? I think not.

Seems like the Knights players need some discipline on the field...if Joey cannot shut his gob then how can you tell Anthony Quinn to stop abusing the touchie when they played the Storm ???.

mickdo

Coach
Iafeta said:
It doesn't matter.

The bloke is a serial offendor. Mouthguard thrower, not accepting awards, not talking to the press, swearing, all the contrary conduct scenarios under the sun basically. But he's been treated like King Farooq?

Make an example out of him and give him a good hard piece of soap and maybe his attitude will change.
Agreed

Johns Magic

Referee
skeepe said:
I remember a fair few years back Craig Polla-Mounter being sent from the field for saying "You're f**king joking" to a touchie. I'm absolutely astounded that Johns was allowed to remain on the field.

It was the last play...

Johns Magic

Referee
Iafeta said:
Not everything.

But they certainly view sports people as role models.

How many people took up leg spinning when Shane Warne came onto the scene? It is was not pure coincidence. It wasn't as if leg spin suddenly came back into vogue all at once. They took Warne's success and tried to make a go of it.

How many young New Zealand polynesian kids wanted to be the next Jonah Lomu? Many. Coincidence? I think not.

Have people started smoking more and cheating on their wives because of Warnie too?

Johns Magic

Referee
skeepe said:
When it comes to kids playing football, yes they do. I'm a referee, and I penalised a kid for swearing at me a few weeks ago. His response? "But Joey can do it..."

So does anal probing occur now because of Hopoate?:lol:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Oh FFS would everyone get over it. Joey swore at him, so f**king what. Simpkins had a terrible game, Cecchin had a terrible game, so Joey is entitled to swear as much as he damn well wants. We'll probably get the referees report on Monday and they'll say "oh im sorry Newcastle, but we got it wrong, but its all too bad. Bad luck if you miss out on the top four."

As has already been said, the tall poppy syndrome is well and truly alive in here.

Jobdog said:
Oh FFS would everyone get over it. Joey swore at him, so f**king what. Simpkins had a terrible game, Cecchin had a terrible game, so Joey is entitled to swear as much as he damn well wants. We'll probably get the referees report on Monday and they'll say "oh im sorry Newcastle, but we got it wrong, but its all too bad. Bad luck if you miss out on the top four."

As has already been said, the tall poppy syndrome is well and truly alive in here.

Whether simpkins or Cecchin had the worst game in rugby league history, or whether he cost your side the season or not is irrelevant. You can not call an official an effin c...

Joey should be suspended for a minimum 4 weeks. If he doesn't, then how is the Judiciary going to take action against anyone else who does exactly the same thing in the future? It sends a message to the players and coaches that they can say whatever they like to the ref and not be suspended or even sent from the feild.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
waltzing Meninga said:
Whether simpkins or Cecchin had the worst game in rugby league history, or whether he cost your side the season or not is irrelevant. You can not call an official an effin c...

Joey should be suspended for a minimum 4 weeks. If he doesn't, then how is the Judiciary going to take action against anyone else who does exactly the same thing in the future? It sends a message to the players and coaches that they can say whatever they like to the ref and not be suspended or even sent from the feild.
And the fact that its Andrew Johns wouldn't have anything to do at all would it? FFS this hatred of Joey is really getting boring.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Jobdog said:
And the fact that its Andrew Johns wouldn't have anything to do at all would it? FFS this hatred of Joey is really getting boring.

That's like asking you are defending him just cuz you're a Knight suppoter.

Of course it has something to do with it. He's the best player in the game & a role model.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
You all must live very boring lives, waiting for Joey to say or do something wrong week in week out so you can all come in here and lay the boot in.

BringIt007

Juniors
Jobdog said:

Regardless of who it is, if any player calls an official an 'effing c' they should be repremanded for it.
Perhaps even more so in the case of Johns. He is a repeat offender as other posters have pointed out and is a role model of game.
I have younger children who watch the game with me and I dont want them seeing Johns display last night as a show of 'sportsmanship'.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I can't believe how big a deal this is. The call was wrong, but it hardly cost them the game. They might have had one or two more tackles at best after the scrum. Manly was the better team and deserved the win.

I also don't understand the whole "Knights have to win tonight if they're going to be a threat in the finals" that CH9 was going on about. Why? They have an easy run home and will be a threat in the finals even though they lost last night.

grouch

First Grade
Jobdog said:
You all must live very boring lives, waiting for Joey to say or do something wrong week in week out so you can all come in here and lay the boot in.
hahaha Observe the trickle-down effect of whining - from club captain to fan. Johns is an embarrassment to the game. I gain zero statisfaction from seeing and hearing his petulant displays, and only pray that our game's top player's grace and sportsmanship could mirror his talent.