What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton should be marked "Never to play SOO"

Mickyd39

Juniors
If you watch tonights game you will understand the title of this thread.

My opinion is not just based on tonights game.

He only has one decent game in every 3 or 4.

Once he has a decent game, commentators, journalist and souths fans start carrying on about how he should be selected to play origin.

Decent club player at best.

I will just check off tonight's contribution from the chosen one:

Terrible kicking game CHECK

Forward pass CHECK

MIA when the going got tough CHECK

Terrible defence CHECK

No vision CHECK

The above check list is not just a one off, its most of his games.

The above check list indicates, i feel, why he should be marked "Never to play SOO"

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
I am a Souths fan and I like Sutton. But for me he is not a five-eight. His kicking game is very inconsistent. For every good kick he puts in, he has 10 bad ones. Sutton is not a natural kicker. He lacks awareness of what is happening around him and vision of what should happen next.

RHCP

Bench
Interstate?

Todd Carney and to a lesser extent, Jamie Soward, are much furthur ahead in terms of who'll be wearing the number 6 long term than John Sutton.

I agree with the above, his kicking game isn't strong enough. He's more of a lock than a five-eighth imo.

DC_fan

Coach
Interstate?

Todd Carney and to a lesser extent, Jamie Soward, are much furthur ahead in terms of who'll be wearing the number 6 long term than John Sutton.

I agree with the above, his kicking game isn't strong enough. He's more of a lock than a five-eighth imo.

For me lock is his best position

Jason Maher

Immortal
Most of his games my arse. People have been waiting for him to have a shocker so they can trot out the same old lines about him being incosistent and only turning up one week in four. Nothing he could possibly do would change these idiots opinions. Face the facts, you've made a judgement based on a sample of one game and your own agenda against the bloke. You've thrown in the "most of his games" bullsh*t to try and fake a considered opinion.

I don't think he would look out of place in a sky blue jersey he proved for City he has the ability to do well in rep footy but I'd like to see him out wide in the 13 instead of the 6 but who will Souffs replace him with, Eddie Paea?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Souffs are an ordinary side to begin with and he does play alongside the dumbest halfback in the NRL so the bra boy is better off getting out while he is still young enough with the talent still simmering enough to be exploited at a half decent club.

I don't think he needs his name crossed off anyway I doubt he would be in consideration unless injuries to likes of Carney, Bird, Gidley, Mortimer and Mullen all test our depth but he isn't that bad it is Sandow that is dog arse hair.

JT_

Juniors
Each time i watch him play i see a lock playing posing as a 5/8. It's the same situation with Mateo when he played the 6, just not gonna work. Souths really need a proper ball playing 5/8 to complement Sandow if they want to be going places. Also their forwards pack will resemble a reserve pack over the next few weeks surely, Sutton needs will go back to where he belongs.

Fein

First Grade
I don't think he would look out of place in a sky blue jersey he proved for City he has the ability to do well in rep footy but I'd like to see him out wide in the 13 instead of the 6 but who will Souffs replace him with, Eddie Paea??
Souffs are an ordinary side to begin with and he does play alongside the dumbest halfback in the NRL so the bra boy is better off getting out while he is still young enough with the talent still simmering enough to be exploited at a half decent club.

I don't think he needs his name crossed off anyway I doubt he would be in consideration unless injuries to likes of Carney, Bird, Gidley, Mortimer and Mullen all test our depth but he isn't that bad it is Sandow that is dog arse hair.

Welcome back, stupid merkin. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Danish

Referee
no player should ever have the papers stamped "never to play SOO".

Yes, Sutton is playing reasonably poor at 5/8, but put him in his better position of lock and he could turn out brilliant.

Its not like NSW are falling over themselves with backrow options

typicalfan

Coach
Yes he should be considered as a ball playing forward and not a 5/8 for origin but Greg Bird and Luke Lewis are miles ahead of him in that regard.

Bumble

First Grade
For starters I don't understand the Sandow hate...he's been playing well for the last month or so and he's only going to get better. He had a second year slump in 2009 which is common. Lets not forget he was rookie of the year just two seasons ago.

As for Sutton? As has been stated by most of the people here, he's not a 5/8th. He's a devastating ball-runner and most of his try assists come from passes or offloads, not kicks. Sandow's kicking game is improving a lot and hopefully we can rely less and less on Sutton's boot in the future.

I really, really think we missed a trick in not signing Brett Finch for next year, and moving Sutton to the forwards.

1. Merritt
6. Finch
7. Sandow
9. Luke
13. Sutton

That's a very, very capable looking spine.