What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton - Up & coming superstar?

someone said he would be better than marshall and SBW if he went to a different club, so are you saying he has more potential than them ???

ozzy_ozman said:
sutton will only be good for any teams in the PL... not FG

FG meaning flegg, that doesnt make sense buddy :p

Sutton i can guarantee you would make every clubs first grade side, a couple of stronger clubs i think he would be used at a utility off the bench

Balmain_Boy

Better than SBW and Benji if he played in a decent team? Marshall is one of the very important factors in making our team what it is.

Eelementary

Post Whore
PB said:
This isn't a bag out or anything. Serious question..

John Sutton has been labelled with the Marshall's, Tim Smith's & SBW's as a future superstar of the game. But is he a future superstar or is he a superstar by "South Sydney" standards? i.e Souths have been in the bottom of the competition for a while now so the "best player" player is often not as good as the best player at a better side?

He is a decent player but i have to say i was a bit dispaointed he didn't improve more as the season went on last year. And i know it is early days in 2006, but his first two games for Souths have been nothing to write home about either. He doesn't seem to have much creativity, and his kicking game isn't that flash.

Will we see him reach the heights he has been labelled to reach?

I would LOVE for Sutton to be the Eels' number 13. I think he's more of a ball-playing lock than an actual 5/8.

If Souths put him at lock, they'd probably do better.

Bumble

First Grade
You can all keep dreaming about him because he'll never leave Souths.

Watch him step it up this week with an actual halfback in the team.

Bumble said:

For your teams sake he better step up. Joe Williams won't be able to win the game on his own. Sutton has not really lived up to expectations.

missmini

Juniors
He was named in the Aussie train on squad so he's got something... Once Walkers back watch him rise!

Spitty

Juniors
To much expectation has been placed on him by everybody. Seriously it's way too early for him to be vice captain. I believe he will be a tremendous talent given time. It's rare for talent to really burst onto the scene straight away (Only SB Williams and Marshall come to mind and they have suffered significant set back's since), most really top talent (Eg. Johns, Lockyer, Thurston) slowly develops over a few seasons and this is where Sutton lies.

I was at the Dragons/Rabbitohs game on Sunday and Sutton tried to slow things down but it just looked like he was going slow and everyone else was moving at full pace. Take the Vice Captaincy off him, take the spot light off him and allow him to develop as a player naturally.

Bumble

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
hold on a sec... didnt soufs rate joey williams as the next andrew johns a few years ago?

Last year...and I don't think the wraps were that big.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bumble said:

I don't want him - we have Feleti Mateo.

Bumble

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
No, I recall it too.

Yes, I recall there was wraps...but it wasn't a "few years ago" it was last year and no, noone said he was as good as Andrew Johns.

Except if you count the chants of "We've got the best Joey in the league" the day we thumped you. But that doesn't count, surely?

Dragon_psa

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
hold on a sec... didnt soufs rate joey williams as the next andrew johns a few years ago?

Not to mention calling Willie Peters the next Peter Sterling.....:shock:

A huge amount of potential. Give him some time and a decent half outside him and he'll push for an origin jersey before too long. I'd have in in my side any time.

nqboy

First Grade
Sutton looks a tremendous talent to me but he has lost his way a bit this year. Maybe trying a bit too hard to organise insteadof playing to his strengths. Maybe oppositon teams are more aware of him and are spotting him in defence (something easy to do considering the lack of attacig options Souths have). Maybe too much Macca's, he does seem to have put on some beef and not in a good way.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Dragon_psa said:
Not to mention calling Willie Peters the next Peter Sterling.....:shock:
quote]

That was actually Craig coleman, the dipstick also that Wade McKinnon is the new Darren Lockyer. :lol:

Sutton is a fabulous talent.

Form is temporary - but CLASS is permanent. And he has class written all over his play.

He knows what to do and when to do it with ball in hand - he can take the game by the scruff and change things in an instant - and defends well to boot. WHEN he's on song.

But when you don't have the support - as others have said...well, it's often too much to expect ONE player to win games on his own week-in week out - specially at his age.

Give him time - even at Souths he will begin to shine....Although as Ash Harrison found out - that doesn't necessarily lead to rep honours when you play in the Red & Green. Unfortunately.

He is 10 times better than Anasta at that age...to draw a parallel. Easily.