What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns vs Lockyer

Who Is a better Player?

• Darren Lockyer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gooba

Juniors
hunt will one day become a great in the game.. the best junior ive seen going around.. he will one day play for australia and will go far in this great game.. he would of left brisbane if he did not get a first grade spot... that is why bennet swapped him and lockyer. why would u put lockyer at five eighth when hes the best fullback??

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Lockyer doesn't playa traditional full back role, he plays as a 5/8...hence the reason why he was moved, gee where do you get your logic from :roll:

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
ok darren lockyer is a better athlete... but joeys johns will be remembered as a better footballer

I don't know why I'm doing this but I'll humour you I guess.
You talk about Johns' banana kick. Lockyer's answer: his glide into the line and drop the ball on the left foot has caused just as much if not a lot more havoc over the years.

You talk about where is Lockyer's 50 metre goal. Heres a hint, Lockyer is not a front line goal kicker. Yet despite that in 2000 he was the leading goal kicker in the competition when he can't even stand the role.

Where is Lockyers 40 metre drop goals? Just one example off the top of my head is the one he kicked a few years back to win a match against the Sydney Roosters at the SFS.

Where is Lockyer upending props? He's not that type of defender. Yet he managed to become the best defensive fullback in the game, as safe as houses for the Broncos and rep teams back there for years. Even now despite skeptism he's managed to move up to the front line of defensive and hold his own.

I haven't even touched on Lockyer's great ball skills and the strongest part of his game being his running. I've lost count of the time just this season he's managed to split defensive lines where there was seemingly no hole there. For years at fullback chasers knew Lockyer was going to come across field on the kick return and try to split two defenders yet time and time again he managed to pull it off and there wasn't a thing the chasers could do about it.

Of course watching Lockyer as much as you have, I wouldn't even need to remind you of all this and I don't even need to continue really :roll: .

Gooba

Juniors
that'll do for me in this thread ive said enough... go the knights next week we are specials! have a good day brisbane :D

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
hunt will one day become a great in the game.. the best junior ive seen going around.. he will one day play for australia and will go far in this great game.. he would of left brisbane if he did not get a first grade spot... that is why bennet swapped him and lockyer. why would u put lockyer at five eighth when hes the best fullback??

To bring him closer to the action and create more havoc you tool. Lockyer in his junior days was a 5/8 and while a player like Minichiello is a winger turned into a fullback, Lockyer always played the role like a 5/8 so the shift was natural for him.

Hunt played most of his first grade debut at centre and wing anyway. He would've had a spot in the backline even if Lockyer was still playing at fullback. Hunt had no bearing on Bennett's decision, it was made early in the offseason when Hunt hadn't even made his first grade debut and it wasn't even known when he'd make that debut. Motu Tony was signed for the reason of going to fullback so Locky could move to 5/8.

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
that'll do for me in this thread ive said enough... go the knights next week we are specials! have a good day brisbane :D

Predictable, crawls back into his hole when he's offered nothing in rebuttal to the thread and only managed to make himself look like a fool. :roll:

Gooba

Juniors
u can not win against 4 Qlders... id like to see u against 4 knights.. oh well.. lests have this disscusion again in 15 years...

salivor said:
LOL, yes I'm sure officials are the best judges of talent in our game. Ask most players, say for example the 51% that rated Lockyer the best player in the game over the 19% that voted for Johns in the RLW players poll. Or ask most fans, say for example the 47% that voted Lockyer as the best player in the game over the 21% that voted for Johns in the RLW fans poll. You may just get a better example than the one you plucked from your arse.

Why would players vote for johns being the best if he is out injured for the season.. Go back to the last few years with RLW players poll and you will see johns is well ahead...

Nice way to manipulate your argument there..

Johns is the clear cut winner.. When hes not injured he is regarded as the best in the world.. Lockyer has to try to be good. Johns dosnt. Johns is the best defensive half back the game has ever seen. He is a better goal kicker, play kicker he has better vision and a better passing game than lockyer.

Fully fit, barrett is even way better than lockyer is at 5/8.

salivor

First Grade
Gooba said:
u can not win against 4 Qlders... id like to see u against 4 knights.. oh well.. lests have this disscusion again in 15 years...

Yes thats the case, not the lack of substance in your argument :roll: .

salivor

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
salivor said:
LOL, yes I'm sure officials are the best judges of talent in our game. Ask most players, say for example the 51% that rated Lockyer the best player in the game over the 19% that voted for Johns in the RLW players poll. Or ask most fans, say for example the 47% that voted Lockyer as the best player in the game over the 21% that voted for Johns in the RLW fans poll. You may just get a better example than the one you plucked from your arse.

Why would players vote for johns being the best if he is out injured for the season.. Go back to the last few years with RLW players poll and you will see johns is well ahead...

Nice way to manipulate your argument there..

Johns is the clear cut winner.. When hes not injured he is regarded as the best in the world.. Lockyer has to try to be good. Johns dosnt. Johns is the best defensive half back the game has ever seen. He is a better goal kicker, play kicker he has better vision and a better passing game than lockyer.

Fully fit, barrett is even way better than lockyer is at 5/8.

Why would players vote for Johns even if he's injured? Hmm I don't know, maybe because class doesn't go away whether your on the field or not, memories aren't that short and the best player in the world doesn't change from week to week depending on who's playing and who's not.

Lockyer has to try to be good and Johns doesn't? Geez as a Newcastle fan, you should know thats bullshit. Johns puts in a hell of a lot of work to perfect his kicks, Lockyer wouldn't put in half the work yet he's such a graceful and natural player on the field. It's quite the opposite buddy.

We both know that come the tri series at the end of the year that if both players are full fit, Lockyer will wear the number 6 jersey. Now thats a pretty sad indication on Barrett considering he's had a licence on the position for years at state and international level yet can't keep it over a player who is in his first year in the role.

salivor said:
Why would players vote for Johns even if he's injured? Hmm I don't know, maybe because class doesn't go away whether your on the field or not, memories aren't that short and the best player in the world doesn't change from week to week depending on who's playing and who's not.

Lockyer has to try to be good and Johns doesn't? Geez as a Newcastle fan, you should know thats bullsh*t. Johns puts in a hell of a lot of work to perfect his kicks, Lockyer wouldn't put in half the work yet he's such a graceful and natural player on the field. It's quite the opposite buddy.

We both know that come the tri series at the end of the year that if both players are full fit, Lockyer will wear the number 6 jersey. Now thats a pretty sad indication on Barrett considering he's had a licence on the position for years at state and international level yet can't keep it over a player who is in his first year in the role.

So if lockyer was the best player why did he not win the RLW players polls in previous years when johns was fully fit?

Barrett is a way better rep player than lockyer and has a better combination with johns.. But yes lockyer will get picked.. But baz totally outplayed lockyer in game 3 and he had been out injured most of the season.

salivor

First Grade
Chicken Hunter said:
So if lockyer was the best player why did he not win the RLW players polls in previous years when johns was fully fit?

Barrett is a way better rep player than lockyer and has a better combination with johns.. But yes lockyer will get picked.. But baz totally outplayed lockyer in game 3 and he had been out injured most of the season.

Maybe because in previous seasons Lockyer was playing at fullback and didn't quite have the same impact on the game that a half can have and therefore wasn't rated as the best player in the game. But now on the back of that Ashes series and moving up into the front line at 5/8 this year players have a different view on him.

Barrett has had about 3 great performances in the NSW jersey but never been the consistantly strong rep player that Lockyer has and never completely dominated a series like Lockyer did in the Ashes series last year. He's also always had a good partner in the number 7 jersey while QLD have been very weak in that position since Langer hung up the boots.

Jono078

Referee
IMO i dont see what is so good about Lockyer, ive been watching closley since he returned to Origin, and he makes to many mistakes. So my vote goes with Johns ATM.

Tommy Smith

Referee
roosterbooster1 said:
Fittler is better than both
Finally, someone had to say it. I was going to say: "Who's better? Dont care, but what i do know is that the bloke who embarrassed Lockyer in the opposite number 6 on Wednesday is better than both". :)

When people bring up this arguement, i always refer to Roy Masters' article which showed that despite everyone always drooling over Johns and Lockyer, Freddy has come up with (combined) more tries, more line breaks, more try assists and more line break assists over the last two years than both of them. Infact he's led the comp in those critical attacking stats over that period. In his 30's! Oh and the stats also show that Freddy is the best defender in the comp. Oh and he's also the best captain of the three by far. All the coaches will tell you that.

Bottom line is, we all have our personal opinions as to who's the best so whats the point arguing?

JJ

Immortal
They're both great players - no doubt.

But when both are fit and on top of their games, Johns is the best - I think they're little question about that.

reladith

Juniors
How many premierships have brisbane wone with Lockeyor as playmaker? NONE!
How many has Newcastle won with Johns? TWO! Johns wins.