What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonus Pearson

Overseas dragon

Juniors
we shall see but i think the centres will be lomax and lafai with periera and pearson on the wings hayne will be fullback if hes here . otherwise dufty ...........go the big red VVVVVV

slippery5

Juniors
I'll bet you my Jet Ski, that if Lomax is chosen in the centres, it will be at the expense of Lafai not Aitken.

TruSaint

Referee
Unfortunately you are correct cc.
Lomax best chance is wing

I have been saying this for some time, that EA will be given free passage to one of our centre spots. I can just see it, but I dont get it. It frustrates me. And to think that Lomax, may end up on the flank, or even back in ISP is just crazy.. Hope Im wrong, but i see Mary picking Aitken and Lafai as starters.

possm

Coach
It's one thing to say Mary will pick Aitken at right centre because he hasn't got a clue hower, it is another to suggest Aitken is a better right centre. I is just unbelievalble to suggest that having Lomax positioned on the right wing when we know that Aitken is our weak link in defence and rarely passes good ball to his winger.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Love it. From playing on the wing in QLD cup to starting fullback for the SGI Dragons NRL team.
you can please some of the people some of the time ,you cant please all the people all the time ............crush your opinion is your opinion .......

WepnutV

Juniors
I have been saying this for some time, that EA will be given free passage to one of our centre spots. I can just see it, but I dont get it. It frustrates me. And to think that Lomax, may end up on the flank, or even back in ISP is just crazy.. Hope Im wrong, but i see Mary picking Aitken and Lafai as starters.
Lomax wont end up back in isp. That im sure of

getsmarty

Immortal
Emerging winger Jonus Pearson determined to make St George Illawarra home
Dragons Den
r0_369_4483_2979_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Determined: Jonus Pearson is eager to secure a starting position for the Dragons. Picture: NRL Photos.
When Jonus Pearson arrived in Wollongong last November, he knew he had an opportunity.

With Jason Nightingale retiring and Nene Macdonald moving to North Queensland, Pearson had a shot at locking down a place on the wing for St George Illawarra.

That chance came in round 11, when he was handed his club debut. Now having played six matches in the Red V, Pearson is determined to ensure he makes the No. 2 jersey his own, starting on Friday night against Penrith.

"I knew when I came down here there were going to be some quality players in front of me," Pearson said. "But I've waited my whole life, I don't want to wait anymore, I want to make that spot mine and cement it.

"Last week was probably my worst game for the Dragons, so I've got to step it up this week. This week's going to be the most important game for me."

Pearson's journey to Wollongong is a winding one, from growing up on Hammond Island in the Torres Strait, to boarding at St Brendan's College in Yeppoon, and eventually making his NRL debut for the Broncos in 2016, his career has been unconventional.

Only taking up the sport at the age of 11, his primary passion was basketball and it remained that way even after he moved to the mainland.

Slowly his love for rugby league began to eclipse that of basketball and a year after leaving school he decided to fully commit himself to playing in the top flight.

The hard work paid off when the Broncos recruited him to their under 20s program. Comparisons to former Queensland representative Jharal Yow Yeh quickly followed and he was handed his NRL debut in round 23 of the 2016 season.

"I started playing footy in grade six, we had to travel island to island to play footy because there were not many kids on Hammond Island.

"Then at St Brendan's, I wasn't playing much footy either, I was playing basketball. I wasn't a star, we had Corey Oates and Kurt Mann who were the stars, but going to a rugby league school like St Brendan's, it grows on you.

"My first year out of school I didn't do much, but then at the end of 2013 I said to myself I've got to start playing some good footy. So I went to the gym, 2014 came around and I started playing some good footy for local club Yeppoon Seagulls.

"The coach there was pretty good to me, Jason Green, he called the Broncos and they came to watch me play. They watched a game and I was at the Broncos, just like that."

Having followed such an arduous journey, Pearson readily admits he would not be where he is today if it wasn't for the support of one person. His mother Elizabeth.

When Pearson was struggling while living in Brisbane, it was Elizabeth who sacrificed her career to help her son cope.

And when Pearson made the move to Wollongong, it was Elizabeth, again, who travelled south to ensure her son was able to make the most of his new opportunity.

Pearson recognises how much his mum has sacrificed to help him play in the NRL and he can't thank her enough for everything she has done for him.

The best way to repay her, he feels, is to secure his place within the Dragons starting line up.

"She made a move after my first year at the Broncos, when I finished 20s, she moved down and helped me heaps in my career. She had to sacrifice her job to move down and after that she kept coming down south to Wollongong with me.

"In my first year of 20s, it was tough, I couldn't do it on my own. Mum had to move and help me with everything, cooking, washing, rent, working.

"It was big, she was a big manager up on Hammond Island, she had to sacrifice that job to come down and support me and give me that support. I really needed that, if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-determined-to-make-st-george-illawarra-home/

rednwhites

Juniors
Given the season we're having, when I saw this thread I just assumed he too had been arrested in Singapore.

possm

Coach
Dragons Den

Determined: Jonus Pearson is eager to secure a starting position for the Dragons. Picture: NRL Photos.
When Jonus Pearson arrived in Wollongong last November, he knew he had an opportunity.

With Jason Nightingale retiring and Nene Macdonald moving to North Queensland, Pearson had a shot at locking down a place on the wing for St George Illawarra.

That chance came in round 11, when he was handed his club debut. Now having played six matches in the Red V, Pearson is determined to ensure he makes the No. 2 jersey his own, starting on Friday night against Penrith.

"I knew when I came down here there were going to be some quality players in front of me," Pearson said. "But I've waited my whole life, I don't want to wait anymore, I want to make that spot mine and cement it.

"Last week was probably my worst game for the Dragons, so I've got to step it up this week. This week's going to be the most important game for me."

Pearson's journey to Wollongong is a winding one, from growing up on Hammond Island in the Torres Strait, to boarding at St Brendan's College in Yeppoon, and eventually making his NRL debut for the Broncos in 2016, his career has been unconventional.

Only taking up the sport at the age of 11, his primary passion was basketball and it remained that way even after he moved to the mainland.

Slowly his love for rugby league began to eclipse that of basketball and a year after leaving school he decided to fully commit himself to playing in the top flight.

The hard work paid off when the Broncos recruited him to their under 20s program. Comparisons to former Queensland representative Jharal Yow Yeh quickly followed and he was handed his NRL debut in round 23 of the 2016 season.

"I started playing footy in grade six, we had to travel island to island to play footy because there were not many kids on Hammond Island.

"Then at St Brendan's, I wasn't playing much footy either, I was playing basketball. I wasn't a star, we had Corey Oates and Kurt Mann who were the stars, but going to a rugby league school like St Brendan's, it grows on you.

"My first year out of school I didn't do much, but then at the end of 2013 I said to myself I've got to start playing some good footy. So I went to the gym, 2014 came around and I started playing some good footy for local club Yeppoon Seagulls.

"The coach there was pretty good to me, Jason Green, he called the Broncos and they came to watch me play. They watched a game and I was at the Broncos, just like that."
My prediction is that Pearson and Saab will be our long term wingers so let's hope that both step up and continue to improve.

When it comes to our centres, I still feel that we need to buy at least one top grade centre/fullback for 2020 and depending on our new coaching staff, the fullback position will be occupied by either Lomax or this new player. Aitken has to go and Lafai should be moved on however, if both prove difficult to move on, it has to be made clear it is reserve grade for both of these players. In this way maybe their managers will find a new home for them and seek a release. So with a back five of fullback Lomax, wingers of Pearson, Saab and maybe centres Ravalawa and a new recruit, we would have players with size and speed. Something good for our new coaching team to work with.

Having followed such an arduous journey, Pearson readily admits he would not be where he is today if it wasn't for the support of one person. His mother Elizabeth.

When Pearson was struggling while living in Brisbane, it was Elizabeth who sacrificed her career to help her son cope.

And when Pearson made the move to Wollongong, it was Elizabeth, again, who travelled south to ensure her son was able to make the most of his new opportunity.

Pearson recognises how much his mum has sacrificed to help him play in the NRL and he can't thank her enough for everything she has done for him.

The best way to repay her, he feels, is to secure his place within the Dragons starting line up.

"She made a move after my first year at the Broncos, when I finished 20s, she moved down and helped me heaps in my career. She had to sacrifice her job to move down and after that she kept coming down south to Wollongong with me.

"In my first year of 20s, it was tough, I couldn't do it on my own. Mum had to move and help me with everything, cooking, washing, rent, working.

"It was big, she was a big manager up on Hammond Island, she had to sacrifice that job to come down and support me and give me that support. I really needed that, if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-determined-to-make-st-george-illawarra-home/

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons Den

That chance came in round 11, when he was handed his club debut.

These stories make me laugh.
"Now having played six matches in the Red V, Pearson is determined to ensure he makes the No. 2 jersey his own, starting on Friday night against Penrith".....what happened to when he debuted or even last weekend?
"Last week was probably my worst game for the Dragons, so I've got to step it up this week. This week's going to be the most important game for me."......are not they all importanrt.
Shows you the media and these redemption stories come out after a poor performance from the team to keep us hoping and interested it will turn on its head.
The problem at our club is not addressing deep underlying issues which get masked by wins and the mentality as you hear Mary keep saying...see...we can beat anyone on our day and believing you got the squad to win the title.
Whilst that is admirable positive reinforcement around the players (pysche stuff) just dont sit on your laurels and gloat and bathe in your wins. You got to have the will to strive and dont accept anything but perfection which Mary does not. 16 points in defence is his benchmark...that tells me everything.

getsmarty

Immortal
pearsonj-2gp_3783.jpg

DRAGONS

'The sacrifice she made was big': Pearson's tribute to mum
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 18 Jul 2019, 09:00 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Dragons winger Jonus Pearson has paid tribute to his mother, Elizabeth, for giving up her job and life in the Torres Strait Islands to help him make the transition from a childhood of travelling to games by boat and plane to a career in the NRL.

Pearson grew up on Hammond Island, which has a population of about 300 people, so teams would need to travel to one of the other 18 inhabited islands to play matches.

“We had to travel island to island to play footy because there are not many kids on Hammond Island,” Pearson said.

“We would usually catch a boat to Horn Island and catch a plane over to another island. It was a little plane, probably big enough to take over the players and the coaches. We’d do that once a week.”

He also had to catch a boat to neighbouring Thursday Island to attend school until his teens, when he boarded at St Brendan’s College in Yepoon, along with Brisbane winger Corey Oates and Newcastle utility Kurt Mann.

The 24-year-old was recruited by the Broncos in 2015 and played under 20s but admits he wouldn’t have survived if it wasn’t for his mother, Elizabeth Pearson.

pearsonj-mn-002.jpg

Dragons winger Jonus Pearson. :copyright:Mark Dadswell/NRL Photos
She moved from Hammond Island to Brisbane after his first year with the Broncos to look after him and followed Pearson and his partner Karla Pinkerton to Wollongong when he signed with the Dragons at the end of last season.

“I couldn’t do it on my own so mum made the move down and where I am now is because of her,” Pearson said. “My mum did all the cooking and she helped me with my diet and all that stuff. If she didn’t come, I probably would have gone back.

“She has helped me heaps in my career.

Sims: Mary has the respect of the playing group

"She had to sacrifice her job to come down to Brisbane and after that she has kept coming south with me.

“The sacrifice she made was big. She was like a manager of all the jobs up in Hammond Island, where we lived, so she had to sacrifice that job to come and support me and give me that support. I really needed that. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be standing here now.”

Another person who helped Pearson make the adjustment to the NRL was former Broncos star Sam Thaiday, whose family is from Yam Island.

Thaiday has a tattoo across his chest of the Yam Island team’s motto: “One brother bleeds, all brothers bleed”.

“Sam Thaiday was really good to me when I was at the Broncos, really welcoming and he looked after me,” Pearson said. “His name was everywhere around the Torres Strait when I was younger.”

A number of current and former NRL players were either born in the Torres Strait Islands or have a family connection, including Dane Gagai, Alex Johnston, Josh Hoffman, Edrick Lee, Brenko Lee, Sebastian Kris, Leilani Latu, Bernard Lewis and Gideon Gela-Mosby, Ray Thompson and Michael Bani.

Wendell Sailor and his son, Tristan, who also plays for St George Illawarra, have Torres Strait Island heritage.

Panthers v Dragons - Round 18

“A couple of boys from the Torres Strait are playing in the Queensland Cup and there were some others my age in the under 20s but they didn’t make it,” Pearson said.

Pearson believes he coped with the adjustment better than some others after spending five years in Rockhampton, while at school.

Remarkably, he struggled to make the school rugby league team and only seriously began playing as an 18-year-old with Yepoon Seagulls, whose coach Jason Green recommended him to the Broncos.

After 11 NRL appearances for Brisbane since his debut in 2016, Pearson was recruited by St George Illawarra following the loss of wingers Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald at the end of last season.

Match: Panthers v Dragons

Round 18 - Friday 19th July

7:55pm

Home Team

Panthers

8th Position

Away Team

Dragons

14th Position

Venue: Panthers Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
When he moved, his mum came with him and she will be on hand when his partner Karla gives birth to their first child next month.

“I told her at the end of last season ‘you can go home now if you want’ but she said ‘no, I want to stay here’. It will be handy having her around when the baby comes,” Pearson said.

Panthers v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 18 clash?

Panthers v Dragons What will be the result of their round 18 clash?
  • Panthers 1-10
    0%
  • Panthers 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/18/the-sacrifice-she-made-was-big-pearsons-tribute-to-mum/

Latest posts