What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jordan Periera Signs For A Further Two Years

Life's Good

Coach
The main query I have surrounding Peirera is why there was zero interest for him from rival clubs?

This begs the question; how many teams would include Jordan in their starting lineups?

It’s an interesting thought.

Good on him. I thought he made the most of the opportunities provided, and grabbed the bull by the horn (as it were), He’s certainly a busy player who’s always eager to be involved. Peirera needs to work on catching during the off-season.
Interesting question.
I’d say there are plenty of players off contract that don’t have rivals chasing them. Does that mean they aren’t worth looking at? Is it because they are aware of their worth & accept their status. Or is it the player manager letting them down or talking them up through the media.
I don’t know the answer because I don’t thinks it’s as simple as no one interested in player ‘x’.

possm

Coach
Jordan runs as hard as he can, catches the high balls and defends well. He deserves credit and posters on here have been positive.

My observation is that he lacks genuine speed. That means in those close sprint and dives in the corner to finish a backline move he won’t make it. He isn’t slow but teams need quick players on the wing.Jordan is about Nightie speed. Big fast wingers are what is required.

Nene Mc has been very good this year. If he gets fresh air in front of him only Ado Carr or a jimmy the jet will run him down. Nene is great running the ball back and against Brisbane and Souths again carried big metres and it appears he is being released? He is a top class winger.

I am a little concerned that it appears we are replacing Nene Mc and Nightie with a relatively slow gutsy stocky winger and a Fijian guy that hasn’t set the world on fire.

Does look good for next year.
But many on here would say Millward is doing a great job. When we need depth in the prop rotation:
We could not rely on Allgood all season.
Kerr was still not up to scratch.
Lawrie was used only when it was too late.
We had to move Frizell - our best back rower - to prop.

Put the above together with the poor performing backline and you get what we got this season no matter who much effort our players put into each game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
JP will most probably play ISP next year and that is a good re-signing as he now has 1st experience.

Its 99.9% certain that McGregir will be the 2019 coach so that would mean both Aitken and Lafai as the centres. Lomax to wing.

As far as the Nene rumour is concerned, this seems to have list traction. Not saying its not going to happen but given the Cowboys squad for 2019, I cant see where he fits in. They have signed Opacic from the Broncos and Barba looks like happening. Feldt is still on one wing and they have Gela-Mosby, Anderson, Tuala and now Opacic. Add to that they still have O'Neil and Bowen still unsigned but not released.

possm

Coach
JP will most probably play ISP next year and that is a good re-signing as he now has 1st experience.

Its 99.9% certain that McGregir will be the 2019 coach so that would mean both Aitken and Lafai as the centres. Lomax to wing.

As far as the Nene rumour is concerned, this seems to have list traction. Not saying its not going to happen but given the Cowboys squad for 2019, I cant see where he fits in. They have signed Opacic from the Broncos and Barba looks like happening. Feldt is still on one wing and they have Gela-Mosby, Anderson, Tuala and now Opacic. Add to that they still have O'Neil and Bowen still unsigned but not released.

Given that Aitken and Lomax are both right side players, you're not really suggestin that Lomax would play outside Aitken are you. He would be doing next to nothing in attack all game and spending his time in defence trying to mop up Aitken's mistakes.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Given that Aitken and Lomax are both right side players, you're not really suggestin that Lomax would play outside Aitken are you. He would be doing next to nothing in attack all game and spending his time in defence trying to mop up Aitken's mistakes.

Yep, its the McGregor way!

He has his favourites and Aitken is on top of that list. Evidence of this was that if Aitken was fit for the finals, Lomax would have played in the ISP finals.

I'm in no wag suggesting it is right, but reality is always a bitter pill to swallow.

getsmarty

Immortal
How Jordan Pereira learned to rise to NRL occasion for St George Illawarra Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_332_4041_2784_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Strike: Jordan Pereira. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt
Jordan Pereira is standing there in a daze.

The sound of 47, 296 people is overwhelming inside the Suncorp Stadium cauldron in his first finals game, just the eighth NRL appearance in his career.

How was he going to handle this?

And then something snaps him out of it.

Standing just a metre or so away in the moments prior to kick-off, in an elimination playoff against the Broncos, Dragons teammate Tariq Sims is flexing and screaming as loudly as he can, a primal reaction to show he's ready for the occasion.

Welcome to the big time, Jordan.

"It felt like 100,000 people, it wasn't, but it felt like it," he told the Mercury.

"I've never seen that many people let alone been in the middle of it.

"I was in my shell and he's screamed the roof off and he's broken that shell, it changed my mindset.

"From that moment I was so geed up, I'll never forget it."

Sims delivered in style, scoring three tries in a stunning 48-18 demolition of Brisbane, before they bowed out in a semi-final thriller 13-12 against Souths the next week. This year, Pereira's remarkable rise has continued, scoring five tries in as many games, to be equal second highest in the league, only behind the Rabbitohs' Cody Walker.

It's perfect timing for the Dragons too, following the exit of Nene Macdonald - who suffered a horror broken ankle at the Cowboys - and the retirement of Kiwi international and fan favourite Jason Nightingale.

The 2010 premiership captain Ben Hornby, now an assistant to Paul McGregor has played a major role in turning Pereira into a more rounded player.

Turning him into a perfectionist when it comes to technique and catching high balls.

Parramatta recruit Corey Norman has become the left-edge conductor in defence, helping Pereira to make better reads and tackles.

"He's there in the line telling the other team what play they're going to run and how we're going to stop it. And he's right," Pereira said.

"Sometimes it's easy to go quiet in defence and just worry about trying to do your own job and make the right decision. But it all comes as second nature to him, talking and seeing shapes and identifying them.

"Defensively he's making me a much better player."

Pereira stops mid-interview to chastise himself for conceding a try in the 75th minute against Canterbury, even though they were leading 34-nil at the time.

"I made a bad read and let in the only try," he said.

"I can live with it, because there was no issue with me trying hard enough, I'll do better and I'm willing to go over my mistakes and learn."

Pereira looks across the other side of the field for inspiration, to the Dragons' project player and former rugby union talent Mikaela Ravalawa.

While Ravalawa only made his own debut in round one, Pereira said he envies the Fijian product's potency.

"I don't have his finishing ability," he said.

"Just watching him and seeing how he positions his body, he's going to be a tremendous player. Just look at him, he's chiselled like a Greek god or something, his rig is ridiculous."

St George Illawarra meet Manly in their first home game at WIN Stadium on Saturday night.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-to-rise-to-nrl-occasion-for-dragons/?cs=3713

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Any word on why our hardest worker in the backs is on the nose with the coaching staff?
Yep said yesterday him and Rava give their all when given their opportunity....at least when they pull the red v on it means something to them....the pair are very underrated in my opinion....wished some others in our team played with the same passion

dragon thomo

Juniors
It shows you that our club has no idea. Extended deals for Periera Dufty Aitkin now they dont want them.
Dont get me wrong i believe we should have let Aitkin and Dufty go before the end of June if anyone was silly enough to take them, but our leadership cant make there mind up.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Pereira is a good hard working reserve grade winger who can easily step up to play first grade with ease and in whom we can we confidence rely on to put in a good performance.

I really like Jordi, and want to disagree... but I am fine with it if our backs perform at the level above. Rava has stepped up (hope it continues) and the other guy looks like a real winger... so ok...

BUT... as Smurf said, how can Maranta play ahead of him? Utter BS

Keep up the pressure JP!

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I really like Jordi, and want to disagree... but I am fine with it if our backs perform at the level above. Rava has stepped up (hope it continues) and the other guy looks like a real winger... so ok...

Keep up the pressure JP!
Only a complete idiot could play maranta in the NRL.

possm

Coach
It shows you that our club has no idea. Extended deals for Periera Dufty Aitkin now they dont want them.
Dont get me wrong i believe we should have let Aitkin and Dufty go before the end of June if anyone was silly enough to take them, but our leadership cant make there mind up.
Surely, Mary might have some influence but it is squarely Millward's decision and his mess. Many on here have been banging on about Aitken for the past two years, some even earlier.

So the only way we can rid the club of some of these extended players is for them - their managers - to find a club that wants them and then for the players to request a release. To achieve this SGI need to keep them in reserve grade for the remainder of 2019.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Keep up the pressure JP!

Again, everyone having a jiz fest over Rava playing 1 good game, and again who was that against? Full strength Storm? Roosters? Souths? No, his 2 "good" games were against the Dogs and Cowboys. Until he oerforms against the likes of tge too teams i reserve my judgement.
As for the other winger, he's now played 3 games and scored how many trys? Again, his potential is good, but how long between looking like a winger and actually being one?
As for Periera, he will never be top shelf, however, to play Maranta over him in any team is just madness and bs.
Young Saab shows lots of promise but he's a fair way off 1st grade. Yesterdays CC game highlighted that.