What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Curran appears in court.

Rich102

Staff member
Warriors star Josh Curran has avoided conviction after pleading guilty to assaulting a 16-year-old in an Australian nightclub last year.

According to the Daily Mail Australia, Curran pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and appeared in Port Macquarie Local Court yesterday.

Curran’s defence lawyer Paul FC McGirr spoke of his client’s character and said he has “never been in trouble before”.

McGirr also raised concerns about how the conviction could affect Curran’s career as a “well-known” professional athlete.

The assault reportedly happened on October 2 last year at the Level Up Nightclub in Port Macquarie on the north coast of New South Wales.

The court was told Curran, 24, was there with relatives on the night of last year’s NRL grand final.

Between 3am and 3.30am, the teenager asked to speak with Curran near the nightclub toilets to get away from the loud music.

As the pair exchanged social media information to keep in contact, Curran noticed that the teen had been photographing and filming him without his consent.
“My client told the young person he didn’t trust him and then there was a melee where one strike occurred which has caused blood to the mouth,” McGirr said, according to the Daily Mail Australia.

McGirr added that the altercation was “unfortunate” and an “isolated incident”.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Garry Rowe revealed the victim was “more than happy to not give evidence”, and the conviction was in the hands of Magistrate Greg Grogin.

The Warriors backrower was placed on a 12-month good behaviour conditional release order.

Curran also had charges of reckless grievous bodily harm and larceny withdrawn and dismissed.

Port News reports Curran will also replace the teenager’s lost phone.

Grogin said that although the offence was proven, without opposition from the prosecution, Curran was not being convicted.

The charge should be a “wake-up call” for Curran, Grogin added.

“The eyes of the world are on you and wherever you go people are going to have mobile phones and will be filming you.”

McGirr was satisfied that the outcome was just.

“The magistrate and the police were extremely sensible in the way they dealt with this matter and that’s why he was given no conviction,” he said.

“Now Josh can move on with his life and do what he does best.”

The Warriors have been approached for comment.

Matua

Bench
16 year old in a nightclub at 3am. Surely the club lost their liquor licence for a few nights due to this?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I know this is totally comparing apples with oranges but it seems a bit weird that in the same week you can have

- Walsh banned for 3 games for....I don't really know what honestly
- Niukore banned for 3 games for accidentally making head contact while legitimately trying to make a tackle in a game of rugby league
- Curran.....not banned at all for committing the criminal offence of deliberately punching a child in the head

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I know this is totally comparing apples with oranges but it seems a bit weird that in the same week you can have

- Walsh banned for 3 games for....I don't really know what honestly
- Niukore banned for 3 games for accidentally making head contact while legitimately trying to make a tackle in a game of rugby league
- Curran.....not banned at all for committing the criminal offence of deliberately punching a child in the head
Walsh gobbed off at a referee calling him a f**king c***, don’t know how that’s “I don’t know what exactly”.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
To me it was completely obvious he didn’t, but that’s yesterday’s argument I guess
Well that’s what the judiciary officially punished him for- and whoever it was directed at he was carrying on like an entitled little shit and the holiday will do him good.
Re Curran, off-field incident, off-field punishment I guess. Probably lucky he plays for us so it didn’t attract enough media attention for any “bringing the game into disrepute” charges.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Well that’s what the judiciary officially punished him for- and whoever it was directed at he was carrying on like an entitled little shit and the holiday will do him good.
Re Curran, off-field incident, off-field punishment I guess. Probably lucky he plays for us so it didn’t attract enough media attention for any “bringing the game into disrepute” charges.

You're dead right that I was being disingenuous in referring to Walsh's punishment in respect of what I think happened, rather than what he was actually convicted of. By the same token though (applying basic legal/ethical principles and all that) I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that Walsh should be punished even if he didn't commit the crime.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
To stick to the case at hand, what Curran admitted to was a criminal offence of punching a guy in the face. Irrespective of what we may think of the actions of the victim, Curran has admitted what he did was a criminal assault and by definition unjustified (I don't think any particular finding was made regarding whether the victim actually did anything wrong).

As the possessor of a face which could be punched, I actually think it kind of sucks that you can pretty much get one free crack at doing that with basically no punishment. It also seems like a pretty straightforward case for the NRL to identify the nature and extent of the proven wrongdoing and impose a punishment, and there should probably be one. But I guess I'll leave it at that because I'm not particularly invested in Curran copping a harsher punishment, for obvious reasons.

Matua

Bench
To stick to the case at hand, what Curran admitted to was a criminal offence of punching a guy in the face. Irrespective of what we may think of the actions of the victim, Curran has admitted what he did was a criminal assault and by definition unjustified (I don't think any particular finding was made regarding whether the victim actually did anything wrong).

As the possessor of a face which could be punched, I actually think it kind of sucks that you can pretty much get one free crack at doing that with basically no punishment. It also seems like a pretty straightforward case for the NRL to identify the nature and extent of the proven wrongdoing and impose a punishment, and there should probably be one. But I guess I'll leave it at that because I'm not particularly invested in Curran copping a harsher punishment, for obvious reasons.
I don't know why you seem so surprised by this, Lodge is still playing league, numerous guys playing have decided to use their missus' as tackle bags ... I'd assume the NRL have assessed his case and decided as spacie suggests that it doesn't warrant any further punishment.

TBH, the earlier media on this made it seem like it would be much worse that what it has turned out to be.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don't know why you seem so surprised by this, Lodge is still playing league, numerous guys playing have decided to use their missus' as tackle bags ... I'd assume the NRL have assessed his case and decided as spacie suggests that it doesn't warrant any further punishment.

TBH, the earlier media on this made it seem like it would be much worse that what it has turned out to be.

Not surprised necessarily, I don’t really keep track of what the typical punishment would be for this. Blokes have missed a game or two here and there for ‘minor’ criminal stuff before, or been fined though, right? Feels like this belongs in that category.

It sounds to me like the incident probably WAS worse than the official version but Curran has been able to plead guilty to a pretty favourable summary of facts because the witness was dodgy. That speculation shouldn’t be relevant to the punishment of course.

Blair

Coach
With no criminal record I'm expecting Josh to be on a big high and have a blinder on Friday! This might've been weighing him down all year.

JJ

Immortal
Curran's lucky, obviously

Re Walsh - they simply have to stamp out this around referees - like it or not, they'll get decisions wrong, but we can't have kids, their parents, and park football plodders abusing (and worse) referees

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
A 16 year old little shit, hanging out at the nightclubs deserves a punch in the face.

For that, I might give Curran some MOTM points for this weeks game before its even started.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just lucky he did not take a recreational drug.

They give you two years for that.

Luckily only physical assault.

That is how we roll in ANZAC territory.

Sports codes more than general society, but the same trend.