What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan - How long do we wait?

TruSaint

Referee
Dogs eye Dugan

AN ankle syndesmosis left Ben Barba's immediate future in doubt on Friday night, but Bulldogs officials are already moving to insure themselves against losing him for good.

With Barba at shortening odds to join his young family in Brisbane next year, Canterbury have identified NSW Origin fullback Josh Dugan as his possible replacement.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the club has made numerous attempts to contact Dugan's management, which is currently in negotiations to extend his deal at St George Illawarra.

But it appears the Bulldogs will be keeping a close eye on those discussions while Dugan remains a free agent, with the Broncos on standby to sign Barba should he be granted a release on compassionate grounds.

For the time being it's not certain when - or even if - Barba will return in a Canterbury jersey after he limped from the field in just the eighth miniute.
He was dressed by halftime and left ANZ Stadium in a moonboot and crutches.
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler later revealed Barba had suffered a syndesmosis, a condition associated with ligaments detaching from the bone.
Hasler was hopeful Barba would only miss two or three weeks, but the injury has been known to claim previous victims for several months.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-josh-dugan/story-fni3g67w-1226686603305#slow

Father Ted

First Grade
Reported in this mornings Tele Dogs have repeatedly trying to contact Dugans mgt as they prepare to lose Barba!! Doust please mate FFS sign the kid up now before something crazy happens Abd the dogs offer him $900k a season!!!!

Am I right in saying we did'nt sign Dugan because of SOO and then we did'nt sign him because we are playing the Raiders and did'nt want to upset Canberra.

Now we are signing him next week allegedly.
Just my opinion but are we Special as in geniused. Do we never learn? It's the point I tried to make about Hastings . When quality is on the shelf grab it quick, grab it before others realise it's even available.

For the record i think we still will get him , But the lession is there for those who can see . Our recruitment imo is a rowboat in speedboat race.

Imagine if the Dogs get him, there will blokes here who will make my rants look tame

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
I also think we will get him, but the excuses are running thin.
First it was SOO, now Raiders game...
In my opinion neither of these cases have any relevance to securing the signature of a star. We are not privy to what happens behind the scenes, but even if the Tele article if Half true, his price has just gone up.
Old saying guys.... "get them to sign on the line that is dotted"...

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Highly, highly unlikely that Dugan will be anywhere but Saints next year and beyond. We can just about trump any offer on the market given our room under salary cap BUT...the longer he is unsigned the stranger it gets. The big draw card at the Bulldogs would be playing under a serious coach. He has had a dud in Furner for a few years (imagine what McGuire, Bellamy or Bennett would have done with this Canberra roster) and he is being coached by another dud in Steve Price. Tht is the big risk from our perspective.

TruSaint

Referee
Highly, highly unlikely that Dugan will be anywhere but Saints next year and beyond. We can just about trump any offer on the market given our room under salary cap BUT...the longer he is unsigned the stranger it gets. The big draw card at the Bulldogs would be playing under a serious coach. He has had a dud in Furner for a few years (imagine what McGuire, Bellamy or Bennett would have done with this Canberra roster) and he is being coached by another dud in Steve Price. Tht is the big risk from our perspective.

Correct Rob,

Hasler is no fool mate, look what his drawing power is like.
Like i said, every day without a signature, just adds bucks to his value.

Father Ted

First Grade
The other side to slow recruitment is either losing the target player or paying overs. Neither is a great result. An Aussie army officer once said "it's better to make a bad decision then no decision". In other words He who hesitates is lost . Thats relates to us with Dugan and Hastings plus others . we need to make a decision on a players future with us and act quickly on it otherwise we invite other predators, in this case The dogs into what becomes a costly feeding frenzy . Don't be surprised if other clubs now charge it..

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
People,just look at who wrote this crap,our mate Josh (I hate Dragons) Massoud,enough said.

mickeylane

Bench
People,just look at who wrote this crap,our mate Josh (I hate Dragons) Massoud,enough said.

Massouds a tragic dragons supporter that's why he wrote the article to alert Dragons ! No other reason... Wait till Andrew Webster grabs it tomorrow in the Sunday papers.. He's more of a tragic dragon!! I'm hoping they Announce him signed on Monday 11am! I'm sure this is the way it will pan out...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Relax I can say from experience that Dugan is never speedy to sign a contract he will drag the proceedings out as long as possible. He did this signing his first contract, he will probably do it with his last.

That said he never signs long contracts so unless he's changed him and his manager are probably trying to negotiate a 3 year deal rather than the 4 year deal reported

Gomarchin

Juniors
Just my opinion but are we Special as in geniused. Do we never learn? It's the point I tried to make about Hastings . When quality is on the shelf grab it quick, grab it before others realise it's even available.

You're 100% spot on with that comment Fr Ted. We unfortunately have a CEO and recruitment manager that are completely out of their depth. Why would we care about announcing the extension of his contract the week we play the Raiders?!!

Hello. Dugan is now playing elsewhere and I can't see him going back there so why the DELAY??

possm

Coach
See if he settles down, see how he fits in, SOO series, Canberra game ....... none of these excuses are really relevant. Doust is negotiating on instructions from the Board who are more interested in paying Dugan the least they can. Dugan's manager is rightly trying to get his client the most he can.

The truth is that the parties either have not agreed on the terms of the contract or they have come to terms but do not want to announce it until after the Raiders game.

jenninga

First Grade
See if he settles down, see how he fits in, SOO series, Canberra game ....... none of these excuses are really relevant. Doust is negotiating on instructions from the Board who are more interested in paying Dugan the least they can. Dugan's manager is rightly trying to get his client the most he can.

The truth is that the parties either have not agreed on the terms of the contract or they have come to terms but do not want to announce it until after the Raiders game.

So what IS the truth.

Steelman

Juniors
RELAX
Dugan has signed it will be released next week....mickeylane u really have become a drama queen.....:eek:

bottle

Coach
The truth is out there.

The reality is that none of us actually know what it is in all likelihood, so some make a truth up that fits their bias. This is moreso the case for the likes of possm who in the absence of any facts has been known to construct phantom conversations and postulate mythical board meetings. More ammunition to bash the club with, bugger the facts.

From what I've been reading and any statements I've seen there isn't any obvious stalling on the part of the club, it's emanated from Duge's side. I warned people early on not to form an emotional attachment to this bloke or you could end up broken hearted, and I got howled down.

So someone else is sniffing around him. Does this really come as a surprise to anyone? I mean, really.

Latest posts