What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Hodgson

yy_cheng

Coach
Someone said rein got the coaching gig but i reckon hodgo would be a gr8 coach

Or maybe he can be the Alfie Langer role

yy_cheng

Coach
he doesn't even call the plays when he's in the starting line up
The hooker does call some of the plays. U can see itwhen the pkaymaker throws their arma in the air.

So when hodgo tried that little grubber into the in goal, which dis nit make that far, moses was telling him to do it? Or the crash plays that goes over and over? Or the kicks from dummy half he attempts?

Or when he goes himself?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dummy half is the first decision maker. Even when his direction is to do whatever the lead playmaker says, he still has to decide whether to follow his instructions.

Cloeel

Juniors
Dummy half is the first decision maker. Even when his direction is to do whatever the lead playmaker says, he still has to decide whether to follow his instructions.

Mahoney is an example of a Hooker who did not always do what the playmakers asked of him.

Maybe that is why he is no longer at Parra.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think they all need some level of freedom to take advantage of an opportunity, or else what’s the use of them. The trick is knowing when to overcall the other guy, and if playmakers are calling it on both sides of the ruck, whom to give it to, or whether to give it to neither of them and instead put on a play up the middle. It’s about getting the balance right, which is a matter for the individual players involved, and their level of cohesion.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think they all need some level of freedom to take advantage of an opportunity, or else what’s the use of them. The trick is knowing when to overcall the other guy, and if playmakers are calling it on both sides of the ruck, whom to give it to, or whether to give it to neither of them and instead put on a play up the middle. It’s about getting the balance right, which is a matter for the individual players involved, and their level of cohesion.
Totally, but i would assume who calls for it that there's a pre set order like moses first, dyl 2nd guth 3rd then jnr, matto, hopgood.

But really the hooker should count numbers or identify injured players or spot defenders and send it that way especially when they both make the call.

Tahu once said he watched the opposition body language, when he sees fatigue, he calls for it

jk13

First Grade
shit. i think you've cracked the code.......davinci poo

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Totally, but i would assume who calls for it that there's a pre set order like moses first, dyl 2nd guth 3rd then jnr, matto, hopgood.

But really the hooker should count numbers or identify injured players or spot defenders and send it that way especially when they both make the call.

Tahu once said he watched the opposition body language, when he sees fatigue, he calls for it
Sure, but the problem with merkins calling the ball is that the opposition hear it too. You obviously can’t give it to the caller every time or it’s no different to telegraphing all your plays.

At some point each merkin has to decide whether to follow the call or not, and that starts with the dummy half.

yy_cheng

Coach
Sure, but the problem with merkins calling the ball is that the opposition hear it too. You obviously can’t give it to the caller every time or it’s no different to telegraphing all your plays.

At some point each merkin has to decide whether to follow the call or not, and that starts with the dummy half.
Yeah but the caller sees a weakness and they think they can take advantage of that. It's up to the attacker to execute it the defenders to stop it..

It's like you know dyl will left step, left step or munster dummy run or teddy jinking, it's a matter of you can stop it.

But i totally agree it is the hooker who has first hand on the ball and decides to which calls to goto

EelsFan05

Bench
It's why I think it is the most important position on the field. And why we've come up short in the big games. We've got the 6, 7 and 1. We've got the 8 and 10. But we've never had a really good 9.

IFR33K

Coach
There were two blokes his age in the winning Origin spine this week. Pensioners ffs

Those fellas haven’t been sidelined for a couple years with a serious leg injury.

I’ll give Hodgson credit for attempting to come back. But he should have retired.