What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Hodgson

T.S Quint

Coach
You’re also not factoring in the likely increase in salary cap which reduces the proportion his salary takes up.

Even with cap increases, his salary is still a huge chunk of change.
The minimum salary will likely increase as well which also has to take affect in the team.

T.S Quint

Coach
He definitely pushed the boundaries. He conceded two penalties ffs

Holding down a couple extra seconds, being a step or two offside or keeping your hand on the ball a little longer = pushing boundaries.

Flat out raking the ball out of the bloke's arms = stupid.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He derped the boundaries, and conceded extra tackles and defensive workload for his teammates as a result.
I'll trust the crafty veteran over your biased observation. He's always conceded a lot of penalties. It's no accident. The benefits outweigh the costs, or they wouldn't do it.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Even with cap increases, his salary is still a huge chunk of change.
The minimum salary will likely increase as well which also has to take affect in the team.
How many minimum wage players do you reckon we have in our top 30? 7 or 8? That’s about $250k in extra payments for the minimum wage dudes out of an increase of $2.6 million this year.

Moses is currently taking up about 10% of our cap. Let’s say conservatively that the salary cap increases about a million a year.

If Moses takes his option and is on the same coin, he’s only taking up 7%. That’s decent for an experienced half with a kicking game (albeit older, slower and probably more injury prone).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Flat out raking the ball out of the bloke's arms = stupid
Not when it's ruled a knock on or prevents an offload or slows the ruck. Most of these aren't penalised. They are advantages. Which I guess is what you meant when you said this:
Holding down a couple extra seconds, being a step or two offside or keeping your hand on the ball a little longer = pushing boundaries.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I'll trust the crafty veteran over your biased observation. He's always conceded a lot of penalties. It's no accident.
Yes, it's a deficiency.

In his later years at lock Brett Kenny gave away a load of penalties, playing the angry older man - or "pushing the boundaries". It was a liability.

IFR33K

Coach
Only to people who don't understand the game. Maloney, Ennis and Cam Smith also gave away a lot of penalties: https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2015&stat=1000026

It's only a liability if you fail to see all the instances that should've been penalised but weren't.

they actually contributed to their respective teams, and most probably played huge minutes.

All Hodgson has done regularly, is f^*k up. But you keep on defending at all costs.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Very true, it's just contrariness for the sake of it... i.e. lazily trolling fellow fans, instead of trying it on opposition fans among the "big boys" in the NRL forum or general match day threads.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Only to people who don't understand the game. Maloney, Ennis and Cam Smith also gave away a lot of penalties: https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2015&stat=1000026

It's only a liability if you fail to see all the instances that should've been penalised but weren't.
Yeah... that's deep too.

But it doesn't change that we're discussing the liability penalties that are (have been) given away needlessly, to the detriment of the team. Pull your head out of the selective stats, and just rewatch the first 15mins of last week's game and learn.

Also looking forward to your inevitable flip-flop on your Hodgson positivity - probably immediately following BA deciding to lessen his role in the squad, or the club deciding not to take up the option, or Hodgson himself calling it a day - miles after everyone else with eyes has seen and posted about it for themselves.

emjaycee

Coach
He definitely pushed the boundaries. He conceded two penalties ffs
He conceded two early penalties... the first a dubious head high call from the ref that could have happened to a 21 year old with great knees and 10 games experience. The second for trying a random strip which I reckon was pushing the boundaries to see what leeway the ref would give and set the tone for the rest of the game. At least by the 10th minute we knew strips were going to be looked at closely and likely penalised.

I guess after the week before when the ref let Walker punch the ball out of Makatoa's arms early in the second half and it led to a Rabbitohs try, it was good to know by the 10th minute against the Cowboys that forced "knock-ons" wouldn't be allowed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
they actually contributed to their respective teams, and most probably played huge minutes.

All Hodgson has done regularly, is f^*k up. But you keep on defending at all costs.
Well unlike you I understand why he's in the starting team. I'm just trying to help you understand. If you don't want to that's your problem.

IFR33K

Coach
He conceded two early penalties... the first a dubious head high call from the ref that could have happened to a 21 year old with great knees and 10 games experience. The second for trying a random strip which I reckon was pushing the boundaries to see what leeway the ref would give and set the tone for the rest of the game. At least by the 10th minute we knew strips were going to be looked at closely and likely penalised.

I guess after the week before when the ref let Walker punch the ball out of Makatoa's arms early in the second half and it led to a Rabbitohs try, it was good to know by the 10th minute against the Cowboys that forced "knock-ons" wouldn't be allowed.

Yeah because stripping the ball hasn’t been looked at closely over the past dozen years or so.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also looking forward to your inevitable flip-flop on your Hodgson positivity - probably immediately following BA deciding to lessen his role in the squad, or the club deciding not to take up the option, or Hodgson himself calling it a day - miles after everyone else with eyes has seen and posted about it for themselves.
Well at his age he is on the decline, so it's inevitable that his contributions will be reduced, and I have no doubt we won't take up our option, and that he will take up his player option on less money. You don't have to be hindyeleven's little birds to predict that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, given refereeing inconsistencies, you don't know until you try. And every penalty is a chance to pressure the ref later on down the track. "Well back there, Sir, it was a penalty."

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
well luckily the coach figured early on, we needed another hooker on the bench. I’m sure by seasons end Hodgson will be on the outer
Agreed. Early season is the time to fine tune strategy and tactics, given there are so few trials these days.

T.S Quint

Coach
Not when it's ruled a knock on or prevents an offload or slows the ruck. Most of these aren't penalised. They are advantages. Which I guess is what you meant when you said this:

And that's fine, in fact it was called a knock-on by the referee.
Problem was it happened so early in the game, the Cowboys still had their challenge to use. Maybe try that shit when they can't challenge it, or maybe make it a bit less obvious.

Latest posts