What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and Hagan blow-up?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Knightmare said:
My thoughts exactly. The reason Smith couldn't win a Premiership at Parramatta was because there was too much pressure on him. With all the money that the Eels have spent since 1986 and they players they've had, they still have no more silverware to show for it. So when it comes around to the serious end of the season (i.e when a team has to REALLY show their superiority), they think "S**t we've really GOT to win this otherwise we'll be seen as failures!" rather than just thinking about playing good football and letting the score take care of itself. This is the same problem that had haunted the Dragons for years. At Newcastle, there is less pressure because we have two Premierships in the last decade, we know that winning a Premiership with the right team is not impossible, which equals less pressure. Without this pressure, Smith can thrive and focus more on attracting talent to the club and winning football games (which IS his job) rather than thinking about what the fans and the media will say if the Knights don't win (which is NOT his job).

let me quote JT by saying "mate you're f**ked" :lol:

you've got absolutely zilch idea..:roll:

Angry_eel

First Grade
Knightmare said:
focus more on attracting talent to the club and winning football games (which IS his job) rather than thinking about what the fans and the media will say if the Knights don't win (which is NOT his job).

lol dude, your one team in a city of half a million. every thing revolves around the knights and coal, do you really think there's no pressure?

macavity

Referee
Angry_eel said:
lol dude, your one team in a city of half a million. every thing revolves around the knights and coal, do you really think there's no pressure?

not the same sort of pressure - we expect our guys to have a dig, sure - but we don't have the born-to-rule mentality of some other teams.

Knightmare

Coach
And I will add that in Newcastle, it's about having a dig and doing the best you can. At Parramatta, it's all about winning another comp at last and re-creating the glory days of the 80's. They aren't the only ones, St George have suffered from it for years. It's the reason they and Parramatta didn't even make the 2005 Grand Final amidst heavy favoritism while an unsung club like the Tigers did nothing but worry about their game plan and went all the way.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Knightmare said:
And I will add that in Newcastle, it's about having a dig and doing the best you can. At Parramatta, it's all about winning another comp at last and re-creating the glory days of the 80's. They aren't the only ones, St George have suffered from it for years. It's the reason they and Parramatta didn't even make the 2005 Grand Final amidst heavy favoritism while an unsung club like the Tigers did nothing but worry about their game plan and went all the way.

Why would there be pressure at Newcastle. They have only been in the comp since 1988, played in two grand finals and won them both. Eels and St George were once great teams and have constantly choked in the last 10 years.

Knightmare

Coach
That's the point I am trying to make. If Parramatta and St George- coaches and administrators- stopped making such an issue about each year being "The year we finally break through" and just pay attention to making sure the players are happy, the coach is focused on his job of guiding the team to play the best football they can as a unit and building strong team spirit, they could have won more than 1 comp in the last 25 years.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Knightmare said:
That's the point I am trying to make. If Parramatta and St George- coaches and administrators- stopped making such an issue about each year being "The year we finally break through" and just pay attention to making sure the players are happy, the coach is focused on his job of guiding the team to play the best football they can as a unit and building strong team spirit, they could have won more than 1 comp in the last 25 years.

I dont know about that. Most Australian national sporting teams generally are always under pressure and it seems to push them.

flamin

Juniors
Reading the 1st 2 pages and then the last 2 its amazing how the thread has evolved.
Another great effort.

eels_fan_01

Bench
flamin said:
Reading the 1st 2 pages and then the last 2 its amazing how the thread has evolved.
Another great effort.

I sorta when in and out of the thread but yeah it certainly has evolved.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Knightmare said:

So Brian Smith Never took that approach once in the 10 years in charge of parra?

Latest posts