What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and Hagan blow-up?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Jono078 said:
Well fair enough you got me there :?

Either way, i'm getting bloody sick of some of the rubbish some of you Eels fans dish out.

Wouldnt it be great if you just didn't mention his name again this year OR the Knights results/ladder position?

I always thought it was clear that with the roster both teams had this year the Eels would go better (Let alone after we lost Johns after 84mins of footy from him all year).

To me if you were gonna compare them you should do so in 2 seasons time.

seriously, read this thread. your mob started it. you and a few others are constantly trolling the Eels forum with your Hagan/Smith sh*t too

stuke

Bench
Jono078 said:
Well fair enough you got me there :?

Either way, i'm getting bloody sick of some of the rubbish some of you Eels fans dish out.

:lol:

three words....pot, kettle, black.

:lol:

macavity

Referee
stuke said:
not quite....Smith was about 5th choice by Knights management.

and there was plenty of criticism from the Knights supporters when they signed him...and reading the local paper, there still is.

the same can be said for Hagan with Parra supporters.

one of the first choices for me - and if you want to go searching there are threads to that effect.

lots of old biddys write in to the herald. they are the critics. they want to go back to dirt hills, chook raffles, and "our boys" (ie only locals).

stuke

Bench
macavity said:
one of the first choices for me - and if you want to go searching there are threads to that effect.

lots of old biddys write in to the herald. they are the critics. they want to go back to dirt hills, chook raffles, and "our boys" (ie only locals).

while he may have been first choice for you, there were many others who were not in favour of him. i think it would be fair to say that the majority of people (not just the old biddys) did not want him at the club. you may have to accept that you were in the minority.

even your management wanted Elliott, Sheens, Bellamy before they chose Smith.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Im glad Smith got hes team up for the match agaisnt us but maybe hes forgotten about the other games. Welcome back down to earth you wanks. 20-0!! 20-0!! Shoes on the other foot now isnt it.

Final score should be Storm 80 Knights 0. It might sound crazy folks but hey they did get beat 71-6. It seems the Knights pulled a "Homer" if you like last week.

Jono078

Referee
El Diablo said:
seriously, read this thread. your mob started it. you and a few others are constantly trolling the Eels forum with your Hagan/Smith sh*t too

Wtf? I don't come in the Parra forum to troll?

I like to read different parts of this forum and usually if I see something that I don't agree with i'll argue it.

jamesgould

Juniors
daveserc said:
I dunno, Brisbane? the Roosters? (was the semi final against the Roosters the famous mouthguard chucking incident?). You can't win every year but given the roster from 2000-2002 there should have been no excuses for us not to get a good sniff of another premiership with Johns at the helm during 2003-2006.

Obviously you haven't been watching us play in the latter years (05-06) where it was plainly obvious that without Johns, Hagan had no idea..............

except for Kidley to half and Lowrie to 5/8. Even in 01 we lost 4 on the trot (including a 40 to zip pasting by Parra) before Johns came back. Hell there's even a case to say that without Johns and Buderus, Hagan has no idea as we did ok with just Buderus on the park in 04...but of course we can't expect a Dally M winning performance out of him every year.

Did I mention those years? No. I do not dispute that Hagan had no idea with Johns gone for his ENTIRE tenure in charge ... but in 2001 he coached us well, handled the transition to limited interchange better than most. You have to give him some credit.

He has also done a good job of revititalising Tim Smith and Finch this year, and has Parramatta going relatively well.

This thread is shocking. I think Smith is the better coach, but they are both doing decent jobs right now. You'd think Hagan was in the Mark Murray/Tom Raudonikis league!!!

Or maybe I am just relieved he has left Newcastle and am happy to be nice to him now haha.

Moffo

Referee
they should've traded blows like what happened behind parra stadium a few years ago after a game :lol: (anyone remember who it was for bonus points?)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Thank god Hagan rebuilt our club this year, Smith almost destroyed us yet again just in 2003, 2004.

Funny how Newcastle have gone from 4th last year to 10th this year lol

strewth_mate

Bench
Funny how Newcastle have gone from 4th last year to 10th this year lol

I'd be concerned about Newcastle going from first to last over 4 seasons, and I wouldn't forget Parramatta's minor premiership in 2005. Both circumstances can reflect on the coaches as much as fits the argument really; maybe it's all rubbish anyway.

Parra are a happier bunch of players under a more relaxed and personal coach who cares what people think about him, and it's reflecting on the field. Newcastle are starting to learn about football and emerge from an environment that was perhaps too relaxed. Different situations, and interesting results.

However, it's my opinion that neither coach should stay for long at their respective clubs. The horror stories about each coach I believe are true; given the overwhelming dissatisfaction shown by fans of each club you'd have to think there's something in it. Really, that's logical. Newcastle are in some trouble that could have been avoided to some extent, and Parra were long overdue for a shakeup of a stagnant situation. It's what was needed and it works nice on paper at least.

Fans of both clubs probably need to wake up and take a step back. Whether or not Smith and Hagan impart their own curses on their new clubs remains to be seen, but can't it be enough that both sets of fans are happy with the swap? And how the jesus does an inocuous thread end up about Newcastle again?

(For the record, I take 2001 as circumstantial, based on one freakish game, and cite the regression of the Knights as evidence of what happened to us under Hagan. If we hadn't pantsed the side that deserved to win the comp, there'd be much less evidence in favour of Hagan. I'm happy he's gone and concerned that 2001 has increased his apparent value; remember he's won as many spoons as premierships. But if coaching is increasingly about man management and patching holes, then good luck to him and Parra)

El Diablo

Post Whore
parra pete said:
They weren't coaching at the time though were they..Roy wasn't at least, I'm not sure about Wok.

Ryan was coaching Newcastle and the NRL fined them $15,000

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
South Sydney coach Jason Taylor was upset at a perceived lack of respect from Parramatta for the six years he had served the club as a player and coach, leading to his confrontation with Eels counterpart Michael Hagan after Sunday's game at Parramatta Stadium.

Taylor did not return phone calls yesterday, but sources have told the Herald that he felt he deserved better from his former club than the pre-match warm-up drama that forced the Rabbitohs to prepare for the game on Old Kings Oval, behind the western grandstand at the stadium, despite it still being closed after recent bad weather.

Souths had been given permission by Parramatta to share warm-up space with the Eels on the manicured field behind the southern end of the stadium, but that situation changed on Sunday.

"JT rang [Eels football manager] Tony Zappia and asked could we use a bit of the field," Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said yesterday. "But they reneged on an agreement and we had to jump the fence and train on Old Kings Oval."

It is understood Taylor, who played one year for Parramatta, in 2001, and spent the next five years on the coaching staff - including the second half of last season as head coach - believed his time at the club should have counted for more.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald last night confirmed Souths had originally been given permission - on Friday - to warm up on the southern field, but that after further consideration, the Eels had chosen to reverse that decision.

"Michael Hagan wasn't aware of the original decision, and when he became aware of it, he said he wanted to have the oval solely for his team," Fitzgerald said. "It's not a full-sized field and not really big enough for two teams.

"Souths were told that at 1pm yesterday and could have warmed up on the main field, but they didn't want to do that."

Asked about the suggestion Parramatta had disrespected their former coach, Fitzgerald said: "I think it's still the same situation - that his behaviour was immature and petulant."

On the other side of the great coaching blow-up, Hagan yesterday responded to Taylor's assertion that he was "living off what Brian Smith built here [at Parramatta] while he's up in Newcastle rebuilding what you f----ed up".

Hagan told the Herald: "The only thing I would say in respect of that is that I think I left Newcastle on good terms and in good shape. The team finished in the top four and the Jersey Flegg team made the grand final, and some of the players from that team are now in first grade so I don't think he [Taylor] is qualified to say that."

Earlier, in an interview on radio 2KY, Hagan suggested Taylor had reacted badly to Souths' 18-12 defeat to the Eels.

"I think he was obviously upset with … no one likes to get beat, and I didn't feel great after the game on Monday night [when Newcastle beat Parramatta] either," Hagan said.

"But sometimes you have maybe got to deal with it a bit different, and he was pretty aggressive in the first instance, so it sort of escalated from there."

Asked if he and Taylor had a history of bad blood, Hagan replied: "There is always a bit of history. I mean, I would have played against JT at different times in our careers, so we might have had the odd run-in on the field."

The coaching stoush took another twist yesterday when Parramatta Stadium venue manager Luke Coleman said he would make an official complaint to the Rabbitohs after they ignored orders not to train on Old Kings Oval.

"They showed a total disregard for any kind of authority," Coleman said. "I was really disappointed with their mentality and their attitude.

"We were given notice by the Parramatta Park Trust, which have control over Old Kings Oval, that the oval was not to be used for the warm-up. That was made clear to the Eels and also to South Sydney."

The NRL yesterday chose not to take any disciplinary action against Souths or Parramatta for the expletive-laden battle between their coaches.

"Whilst this incident doesn't set a good example for junior coaches, we have decided that as the incident took place in the heat of the moment and not in the view of the general public, we're not going to take any further action," chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1184559707434.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2007/07/16/1184559707427.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

EX TEAMMATES AMUSED BY VERBAL BANTAMWEIGHTS' EXCHANGE
17 July 2007
Mark Riddell and Dean Widders were having a chat in the gym next to the media conference room at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday when Eels coach Michael Hagan departed after fulfilling his post-match commitments and Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor entered for his turn.

Riddell, the Parramatta hooker, was about to say hello to Taylor, his former coach from the second half of last season, but didn't get a chance because as soon as Taylor and Hagan came across each other, it was on for young and old.

Taylor was upset that Parramatta had refused to let Souths run their pre-match warm-up on the field directly behind the southern end of the stadium. Souths are adamant the Eels had agreed during the week leading up to the game to let them use warm-up space at the opposite end of the field to the home team.

Details of the slanging match were still a bit sketchy on Sunday night, but after talking further to witnesses, the Herald has been able to establish its content.

Hagan made a joking reference to recently retired superstar Andrew Johns coming down from Newcastle to join the Eels' coaching staff. It was a retort to a quip made by Taylor when he spoke on stage at Parramatta's end-of-season presentation function last year.

Taylor had joked that Parramatta halfback Tim Smith had better get used to coaching the Eels this year, because Johns had coached Newcastle when Hagan was the official mentor. If ever there was a one-liner to fuel a feud, that was it.

Numerous players and officials saw Taylor and Hagan verbally get stuck into each other. Riddell had been warming down on a stationary bike when Widders, who had played alongside him at Parramatta before joining South Sydney this year, came in to catch up with his old teammates after the game.

Riddell and Widders, who were only a few metres away from the Taylor-Hagan action, both said it was something to see.

"Me and Deano were talking and I saw 'JT' walk in," Riddell said. "I was going to shake his hand and talk to him, but next thing him and 'Hages' were into each other."

With a laugh, Riddell then added: "They were coming up with some good lines. I was going to throw my two cents' worth in at one stage, but I thought better of it. Me and Deano were standing there with our mouths open. I said to Deano, 'Oh, f---, we might have to go toe to toe ourselves here."'

Lock Widders was thoroughly entertained by the altercation.

"Hages said a few things to him, and I thought JT came back with good replies," Widders said. "I was just enjoying it, really. I don't think [Taylor] let his emotions spill over. He had things to say and he said it.

"It never got out of hand. It never looked like it was going to be something that would do any damage to the game or the clubs.

"I think they both did it in a good way and got on with it. It never looked like it was going to get physical; they were both in control. It was enjoyable."

There is nothing wrong with a good yelling match in rugby league. It's even better if the combatants can manage to come up with some stinging lines, which Taylor and Hagan did.

At the very least, it shows how much they care. "Two bantamweights going head to head is good for the game," Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said yesterday. "There should be more of it. I hope we make the finals and come across the Eels again. It would sure make for a lot of interest."

The stink in full

TAYLOR: How was your warm-up?
HAGAN: Good, thanks, how was yours?

TAYLOR: It's pretty f---ing ordinary that you wouldn't let us warm up on the [southern] field.

HAGAN: Well, it's obviously rattled you.

TAYLOR: F--- off.

HAGAN: We're going to get Joey down for a couple of [training] sessions this week.

TAYLOR: You should, you need him.

HAGAN: Why don't you work on catching the ball instead of wrestling all f---ing game?

TAYLOR: How f---ed are you? You're living off what Brian Smith built here, while he's up in Newcastle rebuilding what you f---ed up.

Bazal

Post Whore
My god this thread has turned into a pathetic wank! Both Hagan and Smith have their strong and weak points...Hagan is a very popular coach who is more astute than he is given credit for, but he can struggle when the chips are down and he is often too relaxed. Smith is a brilliant technician of the game who can develop superstars, but he has a habit of favouritism to try and justify his failings in the development of a player, and he too often puts his faith in project players he can get on the cheap. Sometimes they come off (Fui Fui Moi Moi, Dean Widders, David Solomona spring to mind), other times they are a waste of cap space and first grade game time (Willie Leyshon, Wise Kativerata, Steve Crouch etc) He is also a poor motivator and can be very harsh on his sides. IMO both sides got the coaching style they needed.

As for the Knights under Hagan...how quickly people forget that the club was held to ransom by one A Johns whoring his wares to Rugby and the UK, and forced to pay more than he was worth to keep him on. Subsequently, he spent most of his time on the sidelines with a fat wallet and little football, and the chunk of the cap eaten up by he and other rep stars like Buderus and Simpson (Not exactly injury free either) meant that they struggled to afford decent depth...Smith will change that, and Parramatta already had good depth for Hagan to work with.

Knightmare

Coach
macavity said:
did he leave them worse than he found them?

Saints (like Parra) have long had a culture problem - fickle fans with a born to win mentality, living on past glories and demanding unreasonable perfection. they can't look past their own arrogance to see that smith made some silk purses out of sows ears.

Newcastle doesn't have that (yet).

My thoughts exactly. The reason Smith couldn't win a Premiership at Parramatta was because there was too much pressure on him. With all the money that the Eels have spent since 1986 and they players they've had, they still have no more silverware to show for it. So when it comes around to the serious end of the season (i.e when a team has to REALLY show their superiority), they think "S**t we've really GOT to win this otherwise we'll be seen as failures!" rather than just thinking about playing good football and letting the score take care of itself. This is the same problem that had haunted the Dragons for years. At Newcastle, there is less pressure because we have two Premierships in the last decade, we know that winning a Premiership with the right team is not impossible, which equals less pressure. Without this pressure, Smith can thrive and focus more on attracting talent to the club and winning football games (which IS his job) rather than thinking about what the fans and the media will say if the Knights don't win (which is NOT his job).