What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and Hagan blow-up?

Serc

First Grade
parramaniac2516 said:
Hagan Left Newcastle in a better position the Smith did Parra football wise not structure wise.

One of the most amazing posts ever made on this forum... (outside of a CJ post :p)

macavity said:
lets take 500k worth of players out of your team and see how you do.

Don't forget we had around 1.5mill of our cap unavailable for the Broncos game too (and boy was it obvious and painful to watch)

jamesgould said:
Why didn't Ryan win in 2000 with a better side if he was such a god?

I am no Hagan fan, but geez, give the guy some credit. It's absolutely pathetic to say that he had no input whatsoever in 2001!!!

I dunno, Brisbane? the Roosters? (was the semi final against the Roosters the famous mouthguard chucking incident?). You can't win every year but given the roster from 2000-2002 there should have been no excuses for us not to get a good sniff of another premiership with Johns at the helm during 2003-2006.

Obviously you haven't been watching us play in the latter years (05-06) where it was plainly obvious that without Johns, Hagan had no idea..............

except for Kidley to half and Lowrie to 5/8. Even in 01 we lost 4 on the trot (including a 40 to zip pasting by Parra) before Johns came back. Hell there's even a case to say that without Johns and Buderus, Hagan has no idea as we did ok with just Buderus on the park in 04...but of course we can't expect a Dally M winning performance out of him every year.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i thought Joey coached the team when Hagan was at Newcastle??

that line only seems to get trotted out when they won though. never when they lost.

aids

Bench
Smiths a great team builder, i think the fact that parra has been a serious threat for the past 9 years show that.
sure they fell apart when it came to the big games, and i'm sure he has some responisibilty for that.

Hagan, seems like a guy that turns up a party late, picks up the hot blonde and splits a cab with her, after someone was buying her drinks all night.

Smiths probably more a senior development person now than a coach, i think Joey will take over the player managment on a face to face role
and Smith will put structure in.

Hagan, well people seem to forget it wasn't too long ago he was getting thrashed in SOO coaching roles and picking up a spoon.
he does have a premiership ring though, and that's something smith will likely never have.

so, hyperbol aside, if you're club is in trouble
get smith

if you've got a great team, and need someone to make sure they don't sh*t their pants.
get Hagan

parramaniac2516

Juniors
daveserc said:
One of the most amazing posts ever made on this forum... (outside of a CJ post :p)

I dont know if you was being sarcastic but When Brian Left Parramatta were coming Second last and When Hagan left at the end of the year Newcastle had atleast made the semis.

If Hagan is dependant on one player i would like to know who it is from the Parra team? We play as a team and not rely on one person.

macavity

Referee
Quote:
Originally Posted by innsaneink
How is hagan destroying Parra>?
They look to be travelling fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavity
check back in 3 or so years.

that was not a statement of fact about the future - not a crystal ball statement.

simply saying it will take a few years to see the effect of dud coaching.

I could be wrong re Hagan. but on the example available, im confident im not.

aqua_duck

Coach
parramaniac2516 said:
I dont know if you was being sarcastic but When Brian Left Parramatta were coming Second last and When Hagan left at the end of the year Newcastle had atleast made the semis.

If Hagan is dependant on one player i would like to know who it is from the Parra team? We play as a team and not rely on one person.
there's more to a football club than where they're sitting on the ladder. We were left with an aging team, heavily reliant on a veteran superstar, and with a large group of overpaid, underperforming players.

At parra, smith has coached most of the players in that 1st grade team, with the exception of a small few. Hagan inherited that side from smith and JT, and added his touch to it (i.e Brett Finch)

Best solution for this read is to reopen it in about 2 years time

CrazyEel

Bench
FFS, I mean truly, what do any of you knights care about what Hagan does to the Eels?

If you believe Smith will be great for you then why can't you just be happy with that and get on with what your own club is doing instead of constantly obsessing about Hagan and the Eels?

eelsta

Bench
aqua_duck said:
there's more to a football club than where they're sitting on the ladder. We were left with an aging team, heavily reliant on a veteran superstar, and with a large group of overpaid, underperforming players.

At parra, smith has coached most of the players in that 1st grade team, with the exception of a small few. Hagan inherited that side from smith and JT, and added his touch to it (i.e Brett Finch)

Best solution for this read is to reopen it in about 2 years time

No the best solution is for both fans to move on with the coaches they have now... it's getting very boring imo

eels_fan_01

Bench
Stranger said:
LMAO! Merkin. Grandfinals don't show a coachs ability and they don't show a teams ability.
That is the stupiest thing i have ever heard in my life from any person in the whole entire world. Winning a grand final doesnt show a teams ability?? Yeah and your not smoking weed. Good one.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Jono078 said:
See what I mean... You just don't get it...

Why did we want another coach besides Hagan?
if i recall correctly Hagan was never told he wasn't wanted in 07. they wanted to wait till later in 06 before deciding and he wasn't willing to wait seeing he had an offer from the Eels

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Knights-meet-with-Hagan-over-Eels-talk/2005/11/23/1132703243720.html

Knights meet with Hagan over Eels talk

November 23, 2005 - 5:04PM

Newcastle Knights chief executive Ken Conway and chairman Mike Tyler met with coach Michael Hagan at his request to discuss his contractual arrangements with the NRL club going forward.

Hagan has been linked to a move to Parramatta with the Eels having declared their intention not to renew Brian Smith's coaching contract beyond the 2006 season.

Tyler said no firm decisions were made as a result of the discussions.

"As most people would be aware, Michael Hagan is contracted to the club until the end of the 2006 season," he said.

"The board has undertaken to review this position mid-season next year.

"Despite recent media reports, we remain comfortable with that and do not feel compelled to change our position at this stage.

"Michael has been a successful coach during his time with the club, with four semi-final appearances and a premiership during his six years as an NRL coach.

"As a result, we realise that other clubs may be interested in speaking to Michael in the short term.

"That is no different to the interest that our marquee players attract each year, and is something we will deal with as it arises."

Hagan said he had an open discussion with the club and appreciated the position it was in.

"I will obviously need to consider all options from a personal point of view," he said.

"In the meantime, I have a team to coach and very high expectations for 2006."

eels_fan_01

Bench
How did this get to be a Knights/Eels thing anyways??

Advice to Eels fans, dont worry about Knights fans they are a bunch of pissy little school girls who say every game "Is that Joey?".

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee where do i start :lol: Most Parra fans knew that Smithy would do a good job in Newy. And if Joey didn't go down they might be a chance this season. Smithy did a good job getting us out of the cellar after the dark day's of 87-95. But he just couldn't get us to the Penthouse.

Really people might say he was unlucky but really with some of the squads he had to work with he should have at least won one or two grand finals. After the 2001 Grand Final defeat he really lost the plot. 2005 was the last straw, he should have walked away then and there. What doe's he do????? he stays around and torpedo's our 2006 season. Then he finally walks away when we are sitting in second last posistion. For that i will never forgive him.

I'm not sold on Hagen yet, but so far i like what i see. Who know Newcastle supporter's Smithy might win you a Grand Final, but i wouldn't be holding my breath.

Jono078

Referee
El Diablo said:
if i recall correctly Hagan was never told he wasn't wanted in 07. they wanted to wait till later in 06 before deciding and he wasn't willing to wait seeing he had an offer from the Eels

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Knights-meet-with-Hagan-over-Eels-talk/2005/11/23/1132703243720.html

Well fair enough you got me there :?

Either way, i'm getting bloody sick of some of the rubbish some of you Eels fans dish out.

Wouldnt it be great if you just didn't mention his name again this year OR the Knights results/ladder position?

I always thought it was clear that with the roster both teams had this year the Eels would go better (Let alone after we lost Johns after 84mins of footy from him all year).

To me if you were gonna compare them you should do so in 2 seasons time.

stuke

Bench
macavity said:
seems like we all got what we wanted, huh.

not quite....Smith was about 5th choice by Knights management.

and there was plenty of criticism from the Knights supporters when they signed him...and reading the local paper, there still is.

the same can be said for Hagan with Parra supporters.