What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judic - *Johns fights Grading*

Gronk

Staff member
I see Johns's manager John Fordham is suggesting that it may spell the end of his NRL career should he get 4 weeks. What crap they talk. I hope that the NRL don't crumble on this.

If they cave in and only give him a week or two, it will send a message to all kids that its sort of not OK to call a ref a F------ C---. I wonder how Joey would explain this to his son.

The botton line for me is that the relationship between players and on field officials has eroded over the years. Refs calling players by their first names and players swearing at them etc has undermined their authority and the players have forgotten what respect is all about.

Watch the ARU test on the weekend and you will see how it should be done and how it used to be in the NRL before Billy Harrigan decided to get chummy with the players. "Your off side GOLD number 10" is what you will hear and IMHO all it should be.

strider

Post Whore
yeah - f**k off to england for all i care .... I have really come to the end of my 'give andrew johns the benefit of the doubt cos he's a champion player' piece of rope

and i think the best thing for newcastle's future would be for johns to :arrow: and let smithy build things back up without the johns ego involved

btw - i reckon he'll get his downgrade too - the judiciary will cave for a big name as per usual

Stagger eel

Staff member
just out of interest, do people genuinely believe that it's worth 3 weeks? and would you feel the same if it was one of our boys?

Personally, I would of thought 1 maybe 2 weeks with a fine would of been enough. but that's just me.

strider

Post Whore
actually i agree ... 1 or 2 is probably appropriate

nah - f**k it ... throw the book at him!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Utey

Coach
An example needs to be made of him, sure enough he was unlucky but with the way he has been carrying on lately its terrrible for the games image. I for one wouldnt condone one of our blokes talking to the ref like he did.

But he will be very unlucky to cop 3 weeks. Maybe 2.

V1er

Juniors
boo hoo to joey, go to england if he feels like he's cant cope with the strain. I think what got johns in more hot water than anything was calling the touchie a F****** C****, had he called the touchie a F****** Idiot i dont think the grading would have been as bad.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
just out of interest, do people genuinely believe that it's worth 3 weeks? and would you feel the same if it was one of our boys?

Personally, I would of thought 1 maybe 2 weeks with a fine would of been enough. but that's just me.

They're my exact thoughts as well.

Stagger eel

Staff member
V1er said:
boo hoo to joey, go to england if he feels like he's cant cope with the strain. I think what got johns in more hot water than anything was calling the touchie a F****** C****, had he called the touchie a F****** Idiot i dont think the grading would have been as bad.

the point I'm trying to make is that when Caylo had some real issues in this department 2 or 3 years ago and he threatened to go o/s would you be saying the same thing?

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't think it's worth three weeks. A fine albeit hefty is warrented.

I know that Johns gets paid a hell of a lot and $15000 or $20000 doesn't sting Johns as it would most of us on these forums, but still it sends a message. If he does it again, fine him again except $5000 more than last time and keep going until he retires or gets the idea.

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
the point I'm trying to make is that when Caylo had some real issues in this department 2 or 3 years ago and he threatened to go o/s would you be saying the same thing?

well thats the point everyone else is making ...

Johns behaves in a different manner to just about ALL other players - he goes on like a spoilt little rich kid chucking his 'nana when sh*t happens against him ... and its happened over and over

There's lots of players that whinge and get sh*tty at times in games, but Johns has put himself at another level in regards to "getting the sh*ts on the field" .... he needs a kick in the arse to pull his head back in (and I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the NRL have given him some behind the scenes warnings)

But comparing to Caylo and what if Caylo threatened blah blah - I don't think it would happen - its one thing to get hypothetical, but the way the 2 behave is like apples and oranges - how do you compare it if you can't see it ever happening to the same extent?

mickdo

Coach
eelavation said:

Eela, he did get 2 weeks but his bad record bumped it up, same as Fui. Fui had to cop it, so why shouldn't messiah Johns?

strider

Post Whore
mickdo said:
Eela, he did get 2 weeks but his bad record bumped it up, same as Fui. Fui had to cop it, so why shouldn't messiah Johns?
well there's a good point .... suck sh*t joey! .... his little elbow from 2 weeks ago comes back to haunt him

Suitman

Post Whore
If he wants to take his football and go home ie. spit the dummy and play in England, well, good riddence.
Another example of petulance from the sook.

Suity

Yep, I agree Suity.

If he turned at directed his abuse straight at a touch judge then it's not on. 2 weeks is more than fair, and he has to cop his bumping to 3 weeks based on an elbow that I thought should have gotten him suspended anyways.

If he wants to go to England then so be it.

Suitman

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
Yep, I agree Suity.

If he turned at directed his abuse straight at a touch judge then it's not on. 2 weeks is more than fair, and he has to cop his bumping to 3 weeks based on an elbow that I thought should have gotten him suspended anyways.

If he wants to go to England then so be it.

Whether we like it or not, he IS the NRL's glamour boy, and he knows that they would hate to lose him to England.
He has only made this threat to put extra pressure on the NRL and the judiciary.
Hopefully, they will stand by their convictions and do the right thing by the game.
It is more important to set the right example to all the young kids out there than to lose a player of John's stature.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
But comparing to Caylo and what if Caylo threatened blah blah - I don't think it would happen - its one thing to get hypothetical, but the way the 2 behave is like apples and oranges - how do you compare it if you can't see it ever happening to the same extent?

just a few things...who sauid anything about threatening??? and also at the end of the day, you, I and anyone else watching the game from the stands and on the box know what players say to other players in the heat of the moment..worse things may of been said at other times and at it slipped through to the keeper...so maybe ite's right..he has been made an example off.

btw, weren't you defending Jeremy Smith a few weeks back when he got in the poo for angrilly shoving the ref???

fish eel

Immortal
The paper article seemed to be Johns' manager talking things up for his client.

I'd be stunned if Andrew Johns genuinley wanted to finish in the NRL on this note.

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
btw, weren't you defending Jeremy Smith a few weeks back when he got in the poo for angrilly shoving the ref???
I said jeremy should get 5-7 weeks ... I just thought the 14 or so ppl were bandying about was too much :D .... jeremy faced the music and I never suggested he shouldn't .... joey's gotta face it now too and not try all the bribery tactics to get off (just like his bullsh*t salary bumping bribe tactics of the past)

... but I did defend Fui tooth and nail when he ripped someone's head off :D :lol:

Latest posts