What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary

thebigredv

First Grade
Agree that Fui is stiff in this instance. Bad technique but not intentional. Obviously his punishment is a reflection of the fact that the Eels player is injured for the season. That's wrong but what can you do?

I'd say fight it but Fui is a marked man and I feel his career is effectively over given the nature of player protection in today's game. Won't get off so just cop it, move on.

SET2JT

Juniors
Fui was beaten. If he doesn't drop down to stop the momentum, the Parra player gets away.
I heard the Parra player and Fui are brother in Laws. Those who say its deliberate have rocks in their head.

On another note. How is a tackle around the hips worth 5 weeks suspension while a head high takle worth 2 weeks on average?

Crush

Coach
Fui was beaten. If he doesn't drop down to stop the momentum, the Parra player gets away.
I heard the Parra player and Fui are brother in Laws. Those who say its deliberate have rocks in their head.

On another note. How is a tackle around the hips worth 5 weeks suspension while a head high takle worth 2 weeks on average?
Guess the hip tackle is more dangerous, hence the poor bugger out for the entire season.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All. I have to disagree with a number of posts being highly critical of Fui tackle. I watched the NRL replay on this with real time motion and slow motion.

A great front end view to see Tryell’s strong midrift ball and all type tackle. Nothing remarkable but a good legal hit to stop Dunster advancing with his carry. Dunster fought the tackle by spinning backwards through about 130 degrees, half facing back to his own goal line in an effort to shake free of Tryell; who hung on grimly to Dunsters hips trying to bring him to ground. Yes, it’s true Tyrell’s legs and hip area cut across Dunster’s straighten legs ( most likely awkwardly cleated by boots to the turf in the spin).

My point is Tryell is not a topline player but a competes hard in a game. There will be shades or copy of this inadvertent ‘hip drop’ on occasions in every game. This is usually disguised in 2 and 3 man tackles where players ( including dragon players) spin and try to push upfield with their back to the defence and a player will fall across the legs of another.

Tryell was not trying to injure anyone. It’s a split second in time. I hope that Dunster makes a great recovery and has a good NRL career.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
For the Dragons, I don't think it is worth their while to fight the charge. I think they will accept the guilty plea and let Fui serve his 5 weeks. As many posters have said, Fui is probably only a fringe player in the top 17, so the team won't be too badly weakened.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I

I'm thinking that the team is much stronger this year and the only way we miss out on the top 8 is through our players being targeted and copping lengthy suspensions. We have got to learn from last year that we play hard and tough football but with discipline and clean play. Still rugged but not to the extent of players being sin binned which often lead to suspensions.
Yeah I'm sure the NRL target us. They are so scared we are going to win something.🙄

Draginzaaar

Bench

Cary over points. He did another similar tackle in 2020 and tried to take Papenhuzen's head off last year.

some11

Referee
I know fui had prior convictions but are we the scapegoats again.
As a few people said there were mitigating circumstances in the tackle.
5 weeks for a early plea.
What about Faegai when the weight of the tackler crushed his ankle.
I still think we are hard done by.
Mate this is his 4th hip drop tackle that has injured someone.

You guys need to cut him because he's f**king useless.

denis preston

First Grade
Agree...issue is consistency... Other clubs get a slap on the Wrist and like last year our players cop heavy suspensions...Bad luck for Dunstan...feel sorry for him. I agree it looked more accidental...it's a contact sport and things go wrong... Media always spotlight our players...the articles have been trial by media...does he deserve a suspension...Yes...its just a matter of how many weeks...
Well how about the player himself just stamps it out of his game? One of our problems over the years have been just plain dumb footballers.

The_Frog

First Grade

Would have been 2 weeks without all his priors. Needs to get this tackle out of his game.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All there are sure a lot of tackles banned including cannon ball, the creeper, the choker, the crusher, the chicken wing, the spear, the shoulder charge, the Rava slow arm wrap, the head high, head lock, the hip drop. Are there any others that is off the top of my head in 5 minutes? Whoops forgot the classic Raper driving leg around leg tackler ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope the consistency stays and players that cause people long term injuries due to a bad tackle are banned 5 weeks minimum but I doubt it will unfortunately. Lucky Saints have a heap of forward because they will not be under the microscope again as for poor Rava. 1 big hit and he is gone for 5 weeks minimum.