What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary

Slippery Morris

First Grade
JWH has been binned and served a game or 2. Nelson has not even been binned so huge difference.

This week was a perfect opportunity for the Saints to approach the NRL and demand answers to why their players are being treated differently to others. Least penalties given yet most sin-binned team. And compare Nelson incidents to others Saints have been binned for or suspended. They have a very strong case but unfortunately they are gutless and have no care factor for the players ad their treatment by officials. Flanno will fix this. He won;t accept this rubbish from officials.

Old Timer

Coach
This is a great episode of Controversy Corner from 1979 with the Sludge on the panel

Terrific highlights of the test against the Pomms ( a disgraceful lot they were) and then a fantastic discussion re toughness, violence, niggle and then a focus on the use of elbows by defenders and ball carriers.

If Mossop, Kelly and co were around today they would rightly be critical of the like of NOS & JWH and all their shitty tactics.
The NRL and judiciary have learnt nothing in 43 years since this went to air.

Smacka

Juniors
This is a great episode of Controversy Corner from 1979 with the Sludge on the panel

Terrific highlights of the test against the Pomms ( a disgraceful lot they were) and then a fantastic discussion re toughness, violence, niggle and then a focus on the use of elbows by defenders and ball carriers.

If Mossop, Kelly and co were around today they would rightly be critical of the like of NOS & JWH and all their shitty tactics.

Amen Brother

dannyt

Coach

What a great clip. Relevant today. Didn't realise how much I missed the Moose and company. They certainly had their biases, but they really knew their stuff.

Col Pierce "Players have been sent off, but there have been exonerations". Sound familiar???

Smacka

Juniors
What a great clip. Relevant today. Didn't realise how much I missed the Moose and company. They certainly had their biases, but they really knew their stuff.

Col Pierce "Players have been sent off, but there have been exonerations". Sound familiar???
From personal experience , as a Schoolboy , there was 1 Club who were coached to introduce several acts of foul play in their game.
I had 2 mates who were selected to play First grade as Teenagers. At one of our School training sessions these 2 instructed us on the "skills" that had been passed on to them by the Coaching Personnel - specifically :
1. Raising the ball carrying arm just before the point of impact so your elbow could contact the Defender's head , neck or chest.
2. Similarly , raising your knee mid stride as a Defender came in to tackle around your thighs.
3. Front Rowers & Hookers - bowing your head as you packed into a scrum then raising it violently in a butting motion striking your Opponent's face with the back of your head.
4. 2nd man in a tackle or in cover defence - the art of sliding in with the knees.
5. 3rd man in a tackle - using the shoulder charge into the exposed back , ribs or kidney region of an Opponent.
6. How to lay across the legs of a fallen Opponent in a tackle.
7. The "Flying Wedge" & several other moves which were subsequently outlawed.
Remember this was what a First Grade Club was teaching to 2 new recruits who were only 17 years old. Welcome to First Grade !
Not surprisingly that particular Club put the Dragons halfback out of Grand Final reckoning that year - knees to the back as he lay on the ground - tried some of their grubby tactics during the Grand Final proper , that result created Rugby League history & led to them getting absolutely punished the following week by a vengeful young group of Boys who were led by a master tactician of a Coach.
(My 2 Mates dwindled from the First Grade scene over the next 2 seasons - little wonder with that type of coaching. So , the Storm weren't the first pack of grubs but they are very good at their "trade").

qld redvee

Juniors
I wish our club would ask Abdo, Vlandys and annersley why simms and sua both copped 19 in the bin for a late hit yet big nelson does the same thing and no case to answer ...
Funny when we got sin binned it was because ' we have to protect the playmaker '
Yet another change of policy on the run ...
Please ask the question

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I wish our club would ask Abdo, Vlandys and annersley why simms and sua both copped 19 in the bin for a late hit yet big nelson does the same thing and no case to answer ...
Funny when we got sin binned it was because ' we have to protect the playmaker '
Please ask the question
Dragon's fans have been asking those sort of questions for a while. How come Dragon's players are sin binned and suspended regularly and Top 4 team players are "punished " with a feather (fine) and told "don't do it again". The whole MRC system is yet another thing that is not working properly, along with the salary cap. Unfortunately, the teams with all the clout don't want to see any changes! 🤬

dannyt

Coach
From personal experience , as a Schoolboy , there was 1 Club who were coached to introduce several acts of foul play in their game.
I had 2 mates who were selected to play First grade as Teenagers. At one of our School training sessions these 2 instructed us on the "skills" that had been passed on to them by the Coaching Personnel - specifically :
1. Raising the ball carrying arm just before the point of impact so your elbow could contact the Defender's head , neck or chest.
2. Similarly , raising your knee mid stride as a Defender came in to tackle around your thighs.
3. Front Rowers & Hookers - bowing your head as you packed into a scrum then raising it violently in a butting motion striking your Opponent's face with the back of your head.
4. 2nd man in a tackle or in cover defence - the art of sliding in with the knees.
5. 3rd man in a tackle - using the shoulder charge into the exposed back , ribs or kidney region of an Opponent.
6. How to lay across the legs of a fallen Opponent in a tackle.
7. The "Flying Wedge" & several other moves which were subsequently outlawed.
Remember this was what a First Grade Club was teaching to 2 new recruits who were only 17 years old. Welcome to First Grade !
Not surprisingly that particular Club put the Dragons halfback out of Grand Final reckoning that year - knees to the back as he lay on the ground - tried some of their grubby tactics during the Grand Final proper , that result created Rugby League history & led to them getting absolutely punished the following week by a vengeful young group of Boys who were led by a master tactician of a Coach.
(My 2 Mates dwindled from the First Grade scene over the next 2 seasons - little wonder with that type of coaching. So , the Storm weren't the first pack of grubs but they are very good at their "trade").
I'm not surprised, but I'm sure Parramatta weren't the only club to do that.

I'm a St George junior, never played grade, but I do remember our forwards were very good at similar "scrum tactics". However, it was not taught by the coaches, they picked it up for themselves. I can also say I've never been taught a lot of those other grubby acts that you mention.
Edit: It certainly seems that grubby tactics were part of normal coaching through the late 70s and early 80s, which is why Jim Comans was needed. How good would it be to see one of the Melbourne grubs get 18 months on the sidelines like Cooper and Boyd?

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
Dragon's fans have been asking those sort of questions for a while. How come Dragon's players are sin binned and suspended regularly and Top 4 team players are "punished " with a feather (fine) and told "don't do it again". The whole MRC system is yet another thing that is not working properly, along with the salary cap. Unfortunately, the teams with all the clout don't want to see any changes! 🤬
Agreed, but I suppose the riff are the odd-team out in losing Cleary for 5 weeks. My guess is that if Sims or S'ua did a similar tackle, they'd be out for 10 weeks.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Agreed, but I suppose the riff are the odd-team out in losing Cleary for 5 weeks. My guess is that if Sims or S'ua did a similar tackle, they'd be out for 10 weeks.
How about a deep dive down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole - Ivan wanted to give Nathan a good rest and refresh before the finals, and they were so far in front in the comp, he just said "OK MRC boys, make it look like we are not untouchable and give Nathan a rest. Make sure he is back for the finals though!" What do you think?? 🤔🤫🤪🙄

BLM01

First Grade
Please ask the question
They Supposedly made contact with the head where NAS did not.. supposedly 🤔

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm not surprised, but I'm sure Parramatta weren't the only club to do that.

I'm a St George junior, never played grade, but I do remember our forwards were very good at similar "scrum tactics". However, it was not taught by the coaches, they picked it up for themselves. I can also say I've never been taught a lot of those other grubby acts that you mention.
Edit: It certainly seems that grubby tactics were part of normal coaching through the late 70s and early 80s, which is why Jim Comans was needed. How good would it be to see one of the Melbourne grubs get 18 months on the sidelines like Cooper and Boyd?
Recall how the Dragons pack successfully baited big Artie Beetson in a semifinal back in the 70’s . Early in the match , 3 different Dragons were involved in fisticuffs with Artie in 3 scrums , each time Beetson was called out by the ref and as said a different Dragon .

As far as the ref was concerned it had to be Artie throwing his weight around and sent the poor devil off - for the entire game in those days .

Always remember Artie shaking his head as he trudged off the S.C.G thoroughly disappointed. It came out later that Harry Bath had planned it that way knowing that big Artie would respond as he did .

All smiles was Harry at games end , even lighting up one of his B&H’s , as the Dragons went on to eventual Grand Final glory . ☺️

Must had been the year of Bath’s Babes - 1977 .

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
I notice Solomona wasn't cited for his late, forceful hit on a kicker. Nothing to see apparently. Guess he's lucky he doesn't play for the Dragons, he would've spent most of the year on suspension.
Sims got binned and suspended for a similar hit - a hit I didn't even think was late.
Also noticed Flegler's blatant shoulder charge on Woods was a cause for celebration from the commentators.
Love the consistency eh.

qld redvee

Juniors
I notice Solomona wasn't cited for his late, forceful hit on a kicker. Nothing to see apparently. Guess he's lucky he doesn't play for the Dragons, he would've spent most of the year on suspension.
Sims got binned and suspended for a similar hit - a hit I didn't even think was late.
Also noticed Flegler's blatant shoulder charge on Woods was a cause for celebration from the commentators.
Love the consistency eh.
Its consistent if your a saints player

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Love the consistency eh.
Flegler didn't get charged for the high shot that put Mat in headbin but Lomax copes a $3000 fine for pressure on neck

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Noel Kelly: "A punch in the nose never hurt anyone."
Ferris Ashton: "Well it never did you any good."
lol.

Latest posts