What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 2007 - signings and departures

Stagger eel

Staff member
Angry_eel said:
f**k not even slemes. God im starting to hate Hagan already.

must you assume that it's Hagan's fault???

yeah, it sux at the moment, but none of us really know who or what to point the finger at..

don't you think that had there not been a cap increase and if the Titens weren't there, there'd be more players available for us???...the timing is really bad and there's nothing we can do about it, one things for certain, it's definitely not Hagans fault.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm resolved that we will sign nobody of real note now, however I am optimistic in our chances under a new coach and the retained playing staff. Watching Melbourne and the Raiders and to a lesser extent the Sharks go around this year reminds me of this.

Any decent player we sign in the next few weeks will be a bonus IMHO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
I'm resolved that we will sign nobody of real note now, however I am optimistic in our chances under a new coach and the retained playing staff. Watching Melbourne and the Raiders and to a lesser extent the Sharks go around this year reminds me of this.

Any decent player we sign in the next few weeks will be a bonus IMHO.

I think we'll make some signings just not super stars..I know of one player that's a big chance any other players is anyones guess at this stage.

Gronk

Staff member
In a CH9 "we pay part of your contract" exclusive last night Andrew Johns confirmed that he will go around again in 2007.

yy_cheng

Coach
eela, I think some people are frustrated, including myself, that we have let go (or haven't tried hard enough to keep) some of our promising juniors to cover the loss of the 1st graders.

For mine, the players we shed in first grade had to be done. I have no bones about that. But some of the pl players we should really try harder to keep with Green the most noticeable one due to our deficency in the halves.

Unless the people who chooses who stays and who goes does not think that Green has the talent to go all the way, then fair enough. They are the experts and we are just fans.

If Hagan has the most say into who stays and who goes, then isn't he to blame in the eyes of a supporter? If it's a whole team of people deciding who goes and who stays then the criticism of Hagan is unjust.

The Colonel

Immortal
It may not necessarily be the clubs choice in some of these contracts though yy. These players can make up their own minds. Remember many of these kids have been busting for a shot and first grade and didn't get it under Smith and it could be a direct result of that more than anything. I don't think it is a case of letting them go, in some cases it is a case of them not wanting to stay.

Stagger eel

Staff member
yy_cheng said:
eela, I think some people are frustrated, including myself, that we have let go (or haven't tried hard enough to keep) some of our promising juniors to cover the loss of the 1st graders.

For mine, the players we shed in first grade had to be done. I have no bones about that. But some of the pl players we should really try harder to keep with Green the most noticeable one due to our deficency in the halves.

Unless the people who chooses who stays and who goes does not think that Green has the talent to go all the way, then fair enough. They are the experts and we are just fans.

If Hagan has the most say into who stays and who goes, then isn't he to blame in the eyes of a supporter? If it's a whole team of people deciding who goes and who stays then the criticism of Hagan is unjust.

chengy, I'm just as frustrated and annoyed as everyone else, maybe more so and I've actually let someone at the club know about it...

as for pointing the blame, Colonel touched on it very well, there's no point in me reapeting it.

yy_cheng

Coach
The Colonel said:
It may not necessarily be the clubs choice in some of these contracts though yy. These players can make up their own minds. Remember many of these kids have been busting for a shot and first grade and didn't get it under Smith and it could be a direct result of that more than anything. I don't think it is a case of letting them go, in some cases it is a case of them not wanting to stay.

Totally agree here especially for someone like williams. I posted before in regards to this, why do people like Tonga, Armit, McGuire, etc succeed in other clubs but when they were here, they hardly got a look in.

However, for someone like Green, who I believe is not really ready yet (from reports from you guys as I have not seen him play and his short time in PL at 5/8th), Parra could surely make an offer he can't refuse with many options going his way.

Anyway, my actual point was that people were frustrated and they think that Hagan is in charge of who stays and who goes and so they blame hagan. What the 2 of you have posted adds more support to WHO IS TO BLAME? or more precisely WHO'S NOT TO BLAME.

The Colonel

Immortal
It is a bit hard to point blame at anyone if a player doesn't want to stay. In the case of Blake I am sure the offer they have in front of him is a decent one but we can't fall in to the trap of paying overs for a kid who has yet to play first grade and prove himself. Look at somewhere like Cronulla who have reportedly paid good money for blokes like Ben Pomeroy and Darren Mapp and they can't even get out of reggies.

Gronk

Staff member
I think that the vibe at the club must be pretty low at the moment. The alchohol fueled dramas by Smith (x2), Riddell, Cayless & Hayne. That coupled with poor performances on the park and our arrogant "no comment" CEO has painted a pretty poor picture for players who are testing the market.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
I think that the vibe at the club must be pretty low at the moment. The alchohol fueled dramas by Smith (x2), Riddell, Cayless & Hayne. That coupled with poor performances on the park and our arrogant "no comment" CEO has painted a pretty poor picture for players who are testing the market.

well, at the very least, it's certainly not helping it's course.

Gronk

Staff member
Broncos have re-signed Karmichael Hunt for 3 years.

Source: 2GB News.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gronk said:
bingo we are in deep dog doo doo but don't worry we have some souths rejects on the way who said BS was gone :crazy:

pazzaeel

Juniors
this has become a joke.

surely this is one of, if not the lowest and most embarrising periods for the eels in recent history. our only signing so far is michael hagan. awesome idea that fitzy. what the f**k has hagan done in recent years??? why chase hagan when tim sheens, matthew elliot and john lang are coming off contract. the next three years under hagan will be our worst since the early 90's. they might as well release hindy...todd f**ken lowrie will be an adequate replacement. we are a joke.

gee i hope delaney stays over williams. f**k me. f**kin hell. what a joke.