What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Grades This Week

roopy

Referee
Blake Birch gets his man - eventually

birch1.jpg

birch2.jpg

birch3.jpg

roopy

Referee
These pictures came out of the camera in this order. On first look it seems wrong, but you can see by Uate in the background that they are in the right order.
It looks like Gordon was about to play the ball and number 13 kneed him in the jatz crackers.

jatzcrackers1.jpg

jatzcrackers2.jpg

Misanthrope

Staff member
How did we go in firsts?

I'm loving how Cross looks in the Newie colours. He just matches the style of hard nosed, bad-ass forward we used to be famed for.

Also good to see all of these big, Islander guys coming through. It's a fact that they're the future of the game, as evidenced by the number of top teams who form the bulk of their team from guys of Islander descent. It bodes well for NZ and the island nations in the future.

roopy

Referee
Misanthrope said:
How did we go in firsts?

I'm loving how Cross looks in the Newie colours. He just matches the style of hard nosed, bad-ass forward we used to be famed for.

Also good to see all of these big, Islander guys coming through. It's a fact that they're the future of the game, as evidenced by the number of top teams who form the bulk of their team from guys of Islander descent. It bodes well for NZ and the island nations in the future.
The firsts scored plenty to not much - three tries to Uate.

The Islander kids love their footy.
They all come early and sit in the stands cheering for the other grades - as do a heap of the guys this year. The last two games i have seen big groups of Toyota cup kids showing up in Cessnock and Raymond Terrace when they didn't have to - also Brian Smith and Trent Robinson both watched every minute of the 'chargers' game and Matts and Ball.

Johns Magic

Referee
Misanthrope said:

I'm not sure if I'm as happy about it.

Islander teens generally seem to dominate because they're bigger and develop earlier. This often means they never need to develop certain skills or techniques or even work ethics at a young age.

By the time they hit first-grade they won't have the same physical advantages over the rest of the playing field, and they suffer.

It's all good to have some quality Islanders in your first-grade squad, but to be picking Islanders in the junior squads at the expense of white kids purely because they've become men earlier is not a positive thing in my view. Who knows what talented late-developing kids are being overlooked for some goliath with no skill.

Pika

Bench
A kid of Uates class would want to score three and look good against the local metro side in a trial match.

He did some great things, and some terrible things in the Warriors game.

He will get plenty of time against the Sharks as well. We would be better to judge him on those performances.

I hope he goes well and secures a spot, Aku has athletic ability that is rarely seen.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Pika said:
A kid of Uates class would want to score three and look good against the local metro side in a trial match.

He did some great things, and some terrible things in the Warriors game.

He will get plenty of time against the Sharks as well. We would be better to judge him on those performances.

I hope he goes well and secures a spot, Aku has athletic ability that is rarely seen.

Noone is denying that, however he was a class above everyone on the field. I thought Cross got bent back a lot too, which is a bit of a worry. Also, perhaps I was tuned out or something, but I was under the impression that Central Charlestown beat the second string side 16-6 at half time or something?

Transporter2

Juniors
Good point about Big maoris in the junior sides etc,

In first grade these players will provide the power in the forwards & hopefully we have other forwards with the skill.

roopy

Referee
The Toyota cup as the second level comp is also a worry.
Not many years ago it was unusual for a prop to make firstgrade before age 23 or so, but we are rapidly moving to an era where if you haven't made it by 21 you are history.
Late developers like Royal, Bailey, Cross and even Tolar and White might not have a chance in the future.

roopy

Referee
keeney said:
Gordon in '08 looks like he ate the 07 model. He's heaps bigger.

A bit of a sequence for you;
1/ Karawana draws the defence and slips a ball to Gordon at full charge
2/ Gordon cuts straight through
3/ 50 metre straight run to the line without a hand laid on him

gordon1.jpg

gordon2.jpg

gordon3.jpg

bluesbreaker

Bench
IMO Karawana looked a lot more dangerous with ball in hand than Walsh did. Gordon showed good skills and was always looking to get involved.

aqua_duck

Coach
Marvin's a big boy, and was highly rated as a junior. He's got a nice pass on him and has played 5/8th all through his junior career. He could make a good utility given he's still young and has alot of time to develop, physically and skillwise

keeney

First Grade
I'd like a legitimate half to pair Mullen. Walsh or Dureau, whichever is better. Dureau has my bet atm.

macavity

Referee
Mullo IS a legitimate 7

Bailey/Mullo is our strongest halves pairing atm - especially if Bedsy can kick a few a game, and Kids can come into the line every now and then.

Bailey/Mullo leaves no weakness in the defensive line, meaning we can play a much better structure - and it leaves our forwards fresher as they don't have to tackle for the 7.

having said that, Dureau is looking good - I think he is head and shoulders above Walsh right now on defence alone.

Latest posts