What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Juniors v Raiders final

kos

Juniors
I thought they realy missed Carlos,s kicking and thinking and organising skills.
Likiliki should have ben running onto the ball but a lack of fotball brains out there, Lino ordinary.
Gee wathing the Warriors this year has got me cranky. The under 20,s declined from last year.
However the under 20, s decline was far less than our firsts decline. There was a bit of heart and spirit out there from the 20,s not sure where the heads and attitude got to on our first graders.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
All brawn no brains. The way they've played all year has been uninspiring, based around being bigger and stronger. They've played with a sense of entitlement. Got what they deserved today. It was dumb football, some of the dumbest I've seen (much like last week), they didn't deserve to go any further just because they're big and athletic.

Juju

Juniors
All brawn no brains. The way they've played all year has been uninspiring, based around being bigger and stronger. They've played with a sense of entitlement. Got what they deserved today. It was dumb football, some of the dumbest I've seen (much like last week), they didn't deserve to go any further just because they're big and athletic.
My sentiments too... they did well to finish second but it wasn't a enjoyable year to watch as a punter

Rich102

Staff member
Fitting way for the year to end.
Sadly I won't miss Omar.
Dumb,dumb, dumb football.

Akkerz

Juniors
Those guys put in plenry of physical effort - unfortunately there was little evidence of football smarts. Maybe been there , done that took away the hunger, desire whatever.

The next team of U20s is going to need more than a raft of steamrollers. How will Ackland handle that ?

Rambo1'

Juniors
The coaching or lack of has really stood out for me especially in the last couple of games. To many individuals trying to do there own thing and terrible D. Almost as if Ackland has been reading Blueys coaching book

ozbash

Referee
The coaching or lack of has really stood out for me especially in the last couple of games. To many individuals trying to do there own thing and terrible D. Almost as if Ackland has been reading Blueys coaching book

Dont think so.

The Jnrs need a good clean out. Players are getting past the 'juniors' stage.

Iafeta

Referee
There's quite a lot to be said about that season. Firstly, its baffling that three of the best in that squad are going elsehwere - Likiliki (clearly Bennett sees something there), Sao and Hiku. Particularly since the club towards the end of the year said one of their actions would be to increase the amount of players on full time contracts.

Anyhow, the positives for me:

* A lot of good talent still coming through. Havili, Bishop, Vete, Hukatai, Lolohea, Laumape, Palavi, Taukeiaho, Bhana... all good talents. Obviously Tuimavave as well. The picks for me are Taukeiaho, Havili and Tuimavave.
* They still finished high up the table, thats still a good result. Other clubs would kill to have teams that deliver year in year out to the standard of the Junior Wariors.
* IF they execute their youth strategies well that they announced mid year, the quality and depth should continue to be there.

Negatives:

*Aside from Tuimavave and Johnson, admittedly very good players, we don't look like producing a good half. Jordan Meads and Mason Lino in my opinion take way too many wrong options. To me it seemed we had very capable outside backs, a strong pack of forwards, but at times no idea whatsoever how to link the two.
*Much like the first graders, this habitual bad 'edge read' seems to be alive and well in the youngsters as well.
*The absolute demise of Omar Slaimankhel. Surely injury related? The dude lost any semblence of speed.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The biggest problem for me is the D all over the field, including up the middle. For all the talk about the "physicality" of these boys, opposition forward packs rumble over ours for 60m a set easily. All of the physicality seems to disappear as soon as we have to tackle.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
The biggest problem for me is the D all over the field, including up the middle. For all the talk about the "physicality" of these boys, opposition forward packs rumble over ours for 60m a set easily. All of the physicality seems to disappear as soon as we have to tackle.

totally agree - tbh it has always been terrible for the past year or two

Guys like Havili and bishop are great dummy halve running but both are terrible on setting the tone on D. Even bhana gets credited for his workrate - he needs to be more dominant. And its the hookers role to be right in there with him.

As for Toka likiliki - he is so big he struggles to get up and play the ball
I know he can ran fast in a straight line and bump people but anytime he has to defend in the middle - he gets tired straight away.

All he is a wanna be manu vatuvei - definately the coaching staff fault on how they play though.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
There's quite a lot to be said about that season. Firstly, its baffling that three of the best in that squad are going elsehwere - Likiliki (clearly Bennett sees something there), Sao and Hiku. Particularly since the club towards the end of the year said one of their actions would be to increase the amount of players on full time contracts.

Anyhow, the positives for me:

* A lot of good talent still coming through. Havili, Bishop, Vete, Hukatai, Lolohea, Laumape, Palavi, Taukeiaho, Bhana... all good talents. Obviously Tuimavave as well. The picks for me are Taukeiaho, Havili and Tuimavave.
* They still finished high up the table, thats still a good result. Other clubs would kill to have teams that deliver year in year out to the standard of the Junior Wariors.
* IF they execute their youth strategies well that they announced mid year, the quality and depth should continue to be there.

Negatives:

*Aside from Tuimavave and Johnson, admittedly very good players, we don't look like producing a good half. Jordan Meads and Mason Lino in my opinion take way too many wrong options. To me it seemed we had very capable outside backs, a strong pack of forwards, but at times no idea whatsoever how to link the two.
*Much like the first graders, this habitual bad 'edge read' seems to be alive and well in the youngsters as well.
*The absolute demise of Omar Slaimankhel. Surely injury related? The dude lost any semblence of speed.

Dont believe the hype - no way that likiliki is anywhere the best players
He hasnt played a full game of football this year. It seems they didnt mind him playing prop on offense, then make no tackles. Bennett will have to work his ass off over the next two years to make him effective.

But I agree particularly with Hiku - would of been worthwile to keep.
Sao would of chose a better offer and more direct path to FG (replacing the old sea-eagles pack).

Personally I believe Lolohea, Fusitua and Hukatai have the potential to develop into NRL quality wingers. They just need development - something which I dont think they will get at the moment.

This season has been an epic fail for mine, I dont care how many games they win. Call me a rugby league purist - but I am sick of watching the dumb football the Juniors play. I wouldnt blame players but the warriors and their coaching staff.

It might not be popular choice - but the warriors should get rid of Ackland.
Those that have been around a while no that he loves - big, young, strapping polynesian boys. Obviously that shows in both the personnel as well as the style of football they play. Keep him as a scout if they want otherwise let him go.

Auckland in particular - is the biggest talent pool of rugby league players
As a result the Warriors inherit 80+ of the best young players. So dont act like the current coaching staff are magicians.

Any half decent coach - could lead this squad/team deep into the finals
I still think they can play structured and smart football and still win games. Then players will reach their potential and possibly be read to play FG one day.
At the moment these players arent addressing their shortcomings.

Havili, Bishop:
The same thing they are getting praised for - tackle busts etc, is the same thing that will hold them back. Both dont do enough
Hooker role is about distribution of the ball and defence - they run the ball and dont do enough d. They are unbalanced.

How many 100kg+ hookers are in the NRL, we have two in our nyc team.
Havili doesnt look like is getting any smaller and bishop is huge. Both muscular and fat.

They will need to become fitter, more well rounded players if they have any chance of furthering their careers.

Again being a rugby league diehard/purist - Omar is not a fullbacks arrsehole.
He never has been anything other than a ball runner, who runs hard, has a good fend. His lines are terrible, he is horribly greedy and doesnt play to any gameplan.
But once again coaching staff having rectified anything from day one.

_addict

Juniors
I agree with much of this.

I find the defensive skills to be the most deficient and most glaring of the faults. Not only is it the team defensive problems as seen in the NRL team, but the tackling technique itself is very shoddy. While we would expect the lock to be doing a lot of the defensive donkey work, Bhana shouldn't be the only one with some semblance of technique. The coaches really need to drill some of these basic skills and attitudes into the boys.

Latest posts