What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just wondering.

keeney

First Grade
I was divided over which forum to put this in, but decided this was more the place.

I was wondering how many of the fans on the boards lived in Newcastle, and who lived elsewhere. Our club is one of the best supported in the NRL, but I was wondering whether this was due to it being situated within a relatively large area, with rather parochial residents, or if it was because the ethos and players of our club drew supporters from outside the geographical confines.

For myself, I live in Sydney - North Shore. I was drawn to the club when the Bears folded in 99. I wasn't that much of a Bears fan, just that whole "I support a club" thing that young children are renowned for. I can't even remember how I got so into the NRL, my friends despise league, my family, entirely indifferent to sport, and my school didn't play it either. Regardless, I can't imagine life without watching the Knights nowadays, tragic I know, but its like a drug dependancy. The good kind.

Serc

First Grade
I live in Brisbane now, but only for the past year. The 3 years before that was Newy (on campus at Uni) and Coffs Harbour before that. I began to follow the team properly during 2001, and really got into it after the GF that year and during 2002. Moving to Newy in 2003 sealed it with the $8.50 student tickets and being only 5-10mins away from EAS :D

nickdemonknight

Juniors
I live in Orange in the central west and I also was a Bears supporter and became a Knights supporter when they merged. Dunno why I chose the Knights i was only 9 or 10 but stuck with the Knights ever since.

stevo

Juniors
I live in Brissy. Before that north qld before that the NT. Followed the Knights since 94/95 have followed the blues since 92 thou. My mum moved to QLD in 92 so i followed the Broncos for a while because i seen it as some sort of link. I was only 12 at the time so i wasn't too bright. I loved Chief in the State of Origin so i just woke up on day and started to follow the Knights..

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm out in Glen Innes (north of Armidale) at the moment, but I lived in Newcastle for eighteen months in 2005-2006, and I intend to move back there at the end of this year to do another degree at Uni.

Originally from this area, though, and I fell in love with the Knights here.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
im from wollongong.... when this town has a stupid team like the dragons.... you need to look elsewhere for someone to follow :D

RABK

Referee
From Nowra, never have and never will live in Newcastle.

Met the Chief after an Origin game back in 1992 as a young pup and he told me to support Newcastle so i did.

Became really hooked watching Joey in 1994, remember my dad telling me he was going to be something special and i become one of the first ever Joey fans before it was cool.

1995 Preliminary Final - after that i was hooked...i remember the dissapointment of that loss as a 9 year old. 1997 was awesome, that's really when my blood became Red and Blue.

2001 - well the Knights really served up the best month of my life....that september was just pure bliss and i crave to feel that again.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Newcastle born, Newcastle bred and absolutely proud of it :D

Started supporting the Knights, thrown over the turnstyles at halftime when I was 2, sat through the second forty on dad's knee, with no sign of restlessness - eyes just glued to the field and the blokes running around in blue and red :oops:

Got a little older and then dad had to get me my own seat :lol:

RABK

Referee
The love is still there between you and your old man, sometimes you both stand their like statues watching the football together.

Nuke

Staff member
I live in Perth, but was born in Newcastle. Dad was born and bred there, and his whole side of the family is there (bar a couple of family members who live in Sydney). I was 7 when the Knights kicked off, but it was when I went to my first Knights game against Gold Coast Seagulls in 1992 at Marathon Stadium that I became obsessed! I've been to 10 Knights games (including 2 in Perth vs the Western Reds and the 1997 Grand Final) in my life, and go as often as I can. I watch them on Foxtel or Ch9 every week over here. Being a second-cousin of the Johns Brothers, I have closely followed their careers from when they were playing Reserve Grade right through until they retired. I obviously still follow their media careers these days.

I play footy here in Perth, and because of my obvious fanatacism of the Knights, I earned the nickname 'Johnsy' about 5 or 6 years ago, and I still have it! Most teammates that have come and gone in those years since don't even know my real name!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I play footy here in Perth, and because of my obvious fanatacism of the Knights, I earned the nickname 'Johnsy' about 5 or 6 years ago, and I still have it! Most teammates that have come and gone in those years since don't even know my real name!

Johnsy was my college nickname despite having no footballing talent in common with the man. In my time there, I played hooker and back row, but the name stuck. I still get it from the people who knew me from there. Pretty sweet nickname, to be honest :lol:

Nuke

Staff member
I'm a winger in reserve grade in the WA competition. The Johns footballing genes didn't come my way, I can assure you! Yeah, Johnsy is a sweet nickname to have ... I'm happy to have it!

Samwise

Bench
Live in Brisbane now but was living in Newcastle when i started following league as a young tacker. I think it was around 93-94ish.

CJKnight

Juniors
Lived in Newcastle until I was 12. Then moved here to the Gold Coast. I have met a ton of people up here who cheer the Knights.

cram

Bench
I was born in Newcastle and was at the Knights very first game against Manly. Between 1989 and 1997 I live away from Newcastle but still supported my beloved Knights.

For me the Knights epitomise what it is to be a part of the community, that is a Novocastrian.

I love all things Newcastle and that is why I get upset when people bag Newcastle teams when they are from the area. It is alright to support your favourite team but why rubbish the team that represents you. If you do you are not a real Novocastrian.

I was the GF in 1997 but like RABK 2001 was a spectacular year and that one month and one day In September will always be in my memory.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
I live in Syndey. Didn't support footy till age 10 im 17 now, the knights because of my sisters mad love of joey (don't think it was that he could play football) , never had a league family so never had anywhere else to look in terms of teams. Watching matty and joey in 2000 was what made me really love the game.

Coastbloke

Bench
Live on the NSW Central Coast...

Started following the Knights after watching the 1997 Grand Final while living in Lane Cove, Sydney. Was also a Bears supporter, but I was drawn to the Knights by their 'image'. When it came to Knights vs Bears matches, all I asked for was a 'bloody good game'

garden fairy

Juniors
I went to school in the Bankstown area. It was an all-girls school, and was in the same homeroom as a completely mental Eagles fan, another girl who supported the Knights, and Steve Folkes' daughter. The battles that would go on were unbelievable. I had to learn to like football or else - and I guess because the Knights supporter was older than me, and very scary, I started to take her side. That year, they won the competition, which sealed the deal. I used to be completely obssessed to the point where I used to go and watch every Knights team playing from Harold Mathews up, however obscure the ground, the time, the day.

sneaky_is_here said:
I live in Syndey. Didn't support footy till age 10 im 17 now, the knights because of my sisters mad love of joey (don't think it was that he could play football) , never had a league family so never had anywhere else to look in terms of teams. Watching matty and joey in 2000 was what made me really love the game.

Yes, as a 13 year old girl I had a very unhealthy obssession with one day marrying Andrew Johns, but I grew out of that quickly. I did manage to sway my entire family (including my nan, who developed a very unhealthy obsession with a number of the First Division players at the time, and then Ben Kennedy when he joined).

In the end, the Knights meant more to me than just a team. It allowed me to build a pretty strong bond with my little brothers, who from a young age, became completely obsessed with becoming the Johns brothers. I think one of my greatest memories is watching them both, as they grew up, still get out into the backyard with the nearest football they could find, to practice their 'Johns brother' skills. Going to games was where I met a lot of my friends, some of which have become extremely close. The hill at EAS was where I first met my boyfriend, 5 years ago.

Ten years has past since the day I decided to support the Knights. Never did I think at the age of 13 that I would get so much from it. Friends, a boyfriend, and a new opportunity. I now live in Newcastle, and I love being here.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Yes, as a 13 year old girl I had a very unhealthy obssession with one day marrying Andrew Johns, but I grew out of that quickly. I did manage to sway my entire family (including my nan, who developed a very unhealthy obsession with a number of the First Division players at the time, and then Ben Kennedy when he joined).

In the end, the Knights meant more to me than just a team. It allowed me to build a pretty strong bond with my little brothers, who from a young age, became completely obsessed with becoming the Johns brothers. I think one of my greatest memories is watching them both, as they grew up, still get out into the backyard with the nearest football they could find, to practice their 'Johns brother' skills. Going to games was where I met a lot of my friends, some of which have become extremely close. The hill at EAS was where I first met my boyfriend, 5 years ago.

Ten years has past since the day I decided to support the Knights. Never did I think at the age of 13 that I would get so much from it. Friends, a boyfriend, and a new opportunity. I now live in Newcastle, and I love being here.

Yep newcaslte means more than just a football club now

Latest posts