What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Hodges

Munky

Coach
Hodges defence is insane.

He is to backs what Petero is to forwards. He just stops all momentum with a normal tackle and in a big hit he sends them backwards.

Nightward

Juniors
And to be fair, Hodges plays in a far better team. Gasnier plays better than Hodges in the Australian team, for example.

Maybe because he gets stuck on the opposite side of the field to which he usually plays? Maybe because Ricky Stuart has a mad hate-on for him and coaches the team in such a way to minimise his impact on the game?

Hodges had some off-field troubles. His parents got him out of Sydney and back to the Broncos, and the change has been immesurable.

Gasnier is heavily over-rated. If he was really such a wunderkind, his effect on the Dragons would be similar to that of Johns and the Knights. It isn't.

icewind

Juniors
Billythekid said:
I hope your not basing it on last nights performance. I have rated Hodges ahead of Gasnier for sometime, but last night wasn't exactly his greatest performance.

I also think watching Jared Hayne that he may be able to challenge both of them as well.

Jared has a long way to go defensively to even challenge as a half decent centre.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Nightward said:
Maybe because he gets stuck on the opposite side of the field to which he usually plays? Maybe because Ricky Stuart has a mad hate-on for him and coaches the team in such a way to minimise his impact on the game?

Wayne Bennett was coach. Hodges own coach put him in that position. What does that say ?

Gasnier is heavily over-rated. If he was really such a wunderkind, his effect on the Dragons would be similar to that of Johns and the Knights. It isn't.

Gasnier is over-hyped, no one will argue with that. He's not as good, or the same kind of player as Johns. But no one can say Gasnier doesn't deserve to make all rep teams.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
IMO Hodges is the best outside back playing at the moment, and would be the 1st outside back I would chose in any team. On his day Gasnier is unstoppable, but Hodges seems to be "on his day" every game and that consistantcy makes him the best.

petetheileet

First Grade
gasnier is much more explosive and talented than Hodges...just remeber we havnt seen the best from Gaz for well over 12 months.....when he finds form people wont have an argument on this matter

Mr Saab

Referee
_Johnsy said:
Wow what a surprise, saab manages to turn what was a thread about how Hodges is the best centre in the world atm, which he is. Into a nsw v wld, or bronc v stg thing. Grow up tosser. I am pretty sure the channel 9 commentators did not mention gaz or coops once last night. Try and fix that massive chip on your shoulder saab.

Ha...constable care is upset about what I type. Awwwww. Tissues?
Commentators didnt mention Gaznier...but when Daley mentioned how great Hodges was Gould didnt say a word.
If it was Gasnier, Gould would have blown his load....afterall...he did pen a ridiculous article in 2006 about how Gasnier is the best center of all time.
Laughable

Big Pete

Referee
Nosir'rom Na'ed said:
Wayne Bennett was coach. Hodges own coach put him in that position. What does that say ?

How so? Wayne Bennent stopped coaching Australia after the 2005 Tri Nations. Ricky Stuart then took over in 2006, the same year Hodges made his debut for the green and gold.

Hodges who is superb at right centre was then shifted to the left and was good without being great. Gasnier on the other hand played in his favoured position and was fed good ball in superb territory.

Mind you I think some of the fans on here are over-doing it with Hodges. While his defence over the past two weeks has been commendable often times through out the years it has been suspect. The Roosters demonstrated this by running a few set plays down his side of the field, with bodies in motion Hodges is usually made to look foolish.

Nightward

Juniors

Last time I checked, Ricky Stuart was the Australian coach. I'm pretty sure he was the one who decided it would be Hodges and not Gasnier who had to switch sides on the field.

But no one can say Gasnier doesn't deserve to make all rep teams.

Cool. How do I change my username to no one?

Seriously, if his surname wasn't Gasnier and he didn't play for the Dragons, we wouldn't even be having this dicussion. The hype over-ran his actual ability a long time ago.

NSW would be far better off picking someone in form, preferably a younger player, and developing them rather than relying on an under-performing, frequently-injured, wanna-be male model.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Nightward said:
Last time I checked, Ricky Stuart was the Australian coach. I'm pretty sure he was the one who decided it would be Hodges and not Gasnier who had to switch sides on the field.

My bad.

no one said:
Cool. How do I change my username to no one?

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=57434

So you mean to tell me Gasnier shouldn't be in the NSW, Australian team ?

:lol:

NSW would be far better off picking someone in form, preferably a younger player, and developing them rather than relying on an under-performing, frequently-injured, wanna-be male model.

4 tries from 7 matches. Just tragic...

So tell me, who would be a better choice of centre for NSW ?

Nightward

Juniors
Australian team ?

Last year, selecting Gasnier ahead of Inglis during the mid-season NZ/Australia game put paid to the Inglis/Hodges centre pairing that would have been far more powerful.

Not that we needed it, but still. The selection of Gasnier reduced the team's strike power and was a waste. The current trend of selecting Centres or Fullbacks as Australian Wingers is also pretty pathetic. If you remove one of the major incentives for playing well (Australian rep duty) from the grasp of Wingers, it becomes that much harder to find decent ones.

So tell me, who would be a better choice of centre for NSW ?

Greg Inglis.

What?

Seriously, though, there's got to be someone else. Cooper goes all right (and probably has a lock on the other Centre jersey) but how hard could it be to find two Centres? Most Centres in the comp are eligiable for NSW duties.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Nightward said:
...but how hard could it be to find two Centres? Most Centres in the comp are eligiable for NSW duties.

Why the f*ck would you want to ? :? Gasnier is gonna be in the position for another 5 years.

I think it's just case of you just not liking him.

Nightward

Juniors
If Gasnier played to his supposed "potential" and wasn't so heavily over-hyped, I'd be OK with it.

At the moment, however, the hype attached to him and attention he gets for the most mundane of tasks means that the legions are looking to him and believing that he is the best Centre in the game, which can be put paid to be a simple glance towards Hodges or, when he played there, Inglis. The notion that he's the best centre in the world is simply laughable.

He's had numerous chances to live up to expectations and, like Simon Katich, has consistently failed to deliver when the chips are down. If NSW wants to move ahead in the Origin stakes, they need to follow Queensland's lead and select based on form, not media fanboyism, team cronyism, and "loyalty" to incumbents.

The Australian selctors also need to take off their blue contact lenses, but that's a rant for another day.

miccle

Bench
I honestly don't get into the whole "compare this player to this player thing".

Particularly when, as in this case, the two players really have different styles despite being in the same position, and play a different role in two very very different teams.

We can sit here and argue about Gasniers step compared with Hodges fend & defence until the cows come home, or we can just agree that, regardless of small differences in opinion, they are two really f**king talented outside backs who can, should and will be the first two picked for the Kangaroos.

Wouldn't swap Hodgo for the world, but that's because he performs a unique role in our team and that suits us best. He may not be as effective in the attacking structure at Saints, and vice versa.

icewind

Juniors
petetheileet said:
gasnier is much more explosive and talented than Hodges...just remeber we havnt seen the best from Gaz for well over 12 months.....when he finds form people wont have an argument on this matter

Talent is great. Performances are better.

Hodges = no 1

The Business

Juniors
phonetic said:
Here we go again.

Hodges is class, so is Gasnier. I'd take Gasnier in a heartbeat.. hang on, we've already got him.
The difference between Gasnier and Hodges is that Hodges goes looking for the ball.

Hutty1986

Immortal
LOL@ all the Qld tossers saying the selectors have "blue bias". What a joke. Gasniers more dangerous and a better centre imo.

Big Pete

Referee
miccle said:
I honestly don't get into the whole "compare this player to this player thing".

Particularly when, as in this case, the two players really have different styles despite being in the same position, and play a different role in two very very different teams.

We can sit here and argue about Gasniers step compared with Hodges fend & defence until the cows come home, or we can just agree that, regardless of small differences in opinion, they are two really f**king talented outside backs who can, should and will be the first two picked for the Kangaroos.

Wouldn't swap Hodgo for the world, but that's because he performs a unique role in our team and that suits us best. He may not be as effective in the attacking structure at Saints, and vice versa.

Here f'ing here.

Nightward

Juniors
LOL@ all the Qld tossers saying the selectors have "blue bias". What a joke. Gasniers more dangerous and a better centre imo.

Care to explain how Queensland can win Origin and still contribute fewer players to Australia than New South Wales, then?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Nightward said:
Care to explain how Queensland can win Origin and still contribute fewer players to Australia than New South Wales, then?

They won 2 tight Origin series, one which was gifted to them. It should hardly guarantee huge Qld representation.

:crazy: Maybe, just maybe, the selectors aren't all biased against the Maroons!

Latest posts