What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos No.1 jersey an open race

Shorty

Staff member
Hunt's ok,like he's safe.
But imo Slater and Stewart have what he has and then some.

My favourite position is fullback,from an entertaining point of view Hunt is boring as batsh*t and looks like a different number playing.

He plays well,puts his head down and goes for it - He's a good fullback.
But I really don't think it's fair to say he'll get it when there are numerous fullbacks showing far more form,Brett Stewart in particular,who has done nothing wrong to have the jumper taken off him.

What is the use of choosing a safe fullback with no attack or flair when you can choose a safe fullback with attack and flair.

Teela

Juniors
Hunt's positioning isn't bad at all, you'll just find that kickers always kick away from him these days and try to test our less inexperienced backs. Bit hard to follow the kick when they always kick to the opposite side of the field... :roll:

nqboy

First Grade
Doesn't play at centre any more and has hardly been spectacular for the Storm this year at 5/8th. A Prince/Thurston combo would have frightening firepower and should be the go, so where's Inglis going to play? Hunt will be fullback, you've got to find room for Slater, and Folau deserves a slot in the wing if not at centre instead of Bell.

So where do you put Inglis, who really hasn't done much for a while? Bench, maybe, bring him out for the last half hour? Bowen already does that.

There's already too many in-form players you've got to squeeze in out of position, so barring an injury to either Thurston or Prince, Inglis may well find himself watching from the sideline.
With Thurston and Prince in the halves you have a distinct lack of size so Inglis is an option there. I would also pick him ahead of Hunt at fullback, ahead of Slater on the wing and ahead of Bell at centre.

Hunt is rock-solid under the kick and defends the line like his life depends on it. He makes very few errors.

Admittedly it would be better if he didn't pick out the opposing 8 and 10 when kick-returning and sprint headlong into them, but I'd still take Hunt over any other fullback, for the Broncos, Queensland, and Australia.
And I'd still take Inglis ahead of him.

andrew057

First Grade
Hunt's positioning isn't bad at all, you'll just find that kickers always kick away from him these days and try to test our less
inexperienced backs. Bit hard to follow the kick when they always kick to the opposite side of the field... :roll:

Hunt reads the game better then any other fullback, his positional play is unrivaled.

Nightward

Juniors
With Thurston and Prince in the halves you have a distinct lack of size so Inglis is an option there. I would also pick him ahead of Hunt at fullback, ahead of Slater on the wing and ahead of Bell at centre.

Halves =/= Forwards. Thurston plays better at 5/8th; he only moved to Halfback in order to get around the Lockyer problem in Rep teams. Inglis hasn't done enough to warrant Origin selection, particularly not when he'd disrupt the Prince/Thurston combo.

The Centres are big boys, so are the wingers there (aside from Slater, if they use him on the wing) and the forwards Queensland should use this year are giants.

The "too small to play Origin" myth was laid to res years ago when Langer played.

There's going to be too many players out of position for Queensland this year as it is. No sense in picking someone who's out of touch.

Shorty

Staff member
So...let me get this straight,you think Inglis is no chance because he's had a few poor games yet Hunt is despite not being the incumbent and doing sweet f**k all?

Inglis will be in the side.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Hunt is so overrated it isnt funny. I believe he only got picked in the rep sides because of Lockyer.

Slater is far better and should be Queensland and Aust No 1

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Hunt is so overrated it isnt funny. I believe he only got picked in the rep sides because of Lockyer.

Slater is far better and should be Queensland and Aust No 1

Hunt isn't overrated. He earned his rep jerseys not off the back of his combination with Lockyer but because of his superior positioning, directional ability with the defensive line, and safety with kicks. But he hasn't done enough this season to earn them back.

mxlegend99

Referee
The fact he is even being considered for Australia... is overrating him. There are easily 5 better fullbacks them him, at any point in his career.

Right now... there's Slater, Stewart, Bowen, Patten & Gidley.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The fact he is even being considered for Australia... is overrating him. There are easily 5 better fullbacks them him, at any point in his career.

Right now... there's Slater, Stewart, Bowen, Patten & Gidley.

Slater yes, Stewart maybe. Bowen, Patten and Gidley? Hardly.

Billythekid

First Grade
Hunt's positioning isn't bad at all, you'll just find that kickers always kick away from him these days and try to test our less inexperienced backs. Bit hard to follow the kick when they always kick to the opposite side of the field... :roll:

:lol:playmakers do that with every fullback champ. That's what your supposed to do on a kick, get it away from the fullback. They also try and avoid Slater and Bowen because of their dangerous kick returns doesn't stop them from getting to the ball.

Hunt reads the game better then any other fullback, his positional play is unrivaled.

First of all that's just wrong. You could argue that case on mid-field kicks and i wouldn't have a problem but on the goal line there is no comparison.

I'm not gonna debate it because it's impossible for us to convince each other. Like I've said before i don't really care who they pick cause I'll be happy to have Slater playing for the storm.

simon says

First Grade
TBH if they were picking it solely on form,which I think they should but wont,then it would be a toss up between Patten and Slater.

IMO overall Patten has been the form FB,Slater has been geting bettr as the year went on,his last two games were superb.

gurudave

Juniors
Karmichael Hunt. Why is there even debate about this?

Stewart and Slater are great fullbacks but Hunt is that little bit above them. Personally I couldn't care less if he doesn't play for Australia as we will beat NZ with any fullback. The main thing is he will be there for QLD and the Broncos and that suits me just fine. The best fullback in the game really should be donning the Green and Gold jersey though.

Stewart and Slater are great fullbacks but Hunt is that little bit above them. Personally I couldn't care less if he doesn't play for Australia as we will beat NZ with any fullback. The main thing is he will be there for QLD and the Broncos and that suits me just fine. The best fullback in the game really should be donning the Green and Gold jersey though.
& how do you gauge him as the best FB .
He is safe under the high ball (so are plenty of others)
runs the ball back strongly with a mid air skip that doesnt fool anyone.
Other Fbs run the ball back strongly too.

Defensivly he is behind a lot of others
Attack wise ,he is basically useless without Locky setting him up.

Slater & Bowen(when fit) in attack are light yrs ahead & are capable of winning a game singlehandedly .

I have said it before ..patten plays very much the same game as cutie & if he had the luxury of running off Locky he would have played for AUS.

If cutie was at another club that didn't have an outstanding half ...it would be Karmicheal who?

Parra

Referee
There should not even be a debate about fullback.

Billy Slater is miles ahead of whoever you want to name as second in line right now.

Billythekid

First Grade

Hope you watched the game on Friday night. Yet again Slater shows why he's the best. Why is there even a debate about this?

Garts

Bench
Shut the Gate.

Stewy is a no hoper with that halfback garden gnome to feed off.

Orford wont be the test half, so does not matter. Of course Slater looked better last night, his team dominated. The selectors are not going to base who gets the jumper on that performance.

Latest posts