What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kapow - sandow

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
However i still don't care. What he brings to the team is worth more than the missed tackles as long as we setup the structure to cover for him.

All it means is we have to make sure the 6 is a good defender so we present only one weak side in defence. Then we can try to keep Sandow's side of the field overloaded with an extra defender.

It's not ideal but most teams are willing to deal with the disruption to their defensive line caused by a weak defending 6 or 7. It didn't stop premierships being won by the '10 Dragons, '08 Sea Eagles, '05 Tigers, '04 Bulldogs and '03 Panthers.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Sutton is similar to Mateo in their style (very different player though). Sutton is not a backrower but he also isn't a 5-8, he is suck between the two.

He is a very good ball player as you said through and before the line but he is very hit and miss and his kicking game can be very woeful at times. He is a decent defending 5-8 but would be a poor backrower in defence. I personally think Sandow is more important part of their team and Sutton will struggle to get any space without Sandow.

So exactly like Mateo then?

hybrideel

Bench
All it means is we have to make sure the 6 is a good defender so we present only one weak side in defence. Then we can try to keep Sandow's side of the field overloaded with an extra defender.

It's not ideal but most teams are willing to deal with the disruption to their defensive line caused by a weak defending 6 or 7. It didn't stop premierships being won by the '10 Dragons, '08 Sea Eagles, '05 Tigers, '04 Bulldogs and '03 Panthers.
For sure. There haven't been too many successful teams over the past few years with great defensive halves. There aren't too many great attacking halves who are also great defensively.
What's Roberts like as a defender anyway?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For sure. There haven't been too many successful teams over the past few years with great defensive halves. There aren't too many great attacking halves who are also great defensively.

In recent memory there's only been Andrew Johns.

Back in the day when it was acceptable for first man in to go low there were plenty of 'great' defensive halfbacks but these days there's no substitute for size in a defender.

What's Roberts like as a defender anyway?

Average-to-good. At least he's got some size about him (90kg) so he's able to wrap up the ball or avoid letting the attacker carry him into his in-goal.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
at least Sandow is willing to put his body on the line in defence - it is more his lack of size which creates his defensive problem. It can be fixed if he gets some help on the field.

Also poor defensive half backs really cause problems for a team when the opposition is in the attacking zone ( ie 20 metres out from the tryline), this problem can be fixed by giving the opposition limited opportunities in this zone - this is why the storm/dragins/manly have been so good over the years, they don't give the opposition cheap attacking field position.

hybrideel

Bench
In recent memory there's only been Andrew Johns.

Back in the day when it was acceptable for first man in to go low there were plenty of 'great' defensive halfbacks but these days there's no substitute for size in a defender.

Average-to-good. At least he's got some size about him (90kg) so he's able to wrap up the ball or avoid letting the attacker carry him into his in-goal.

The only current ones i can think of that are strong defensively while still being fairly good attacking would be Foran and possibly Campese and Mullen although i'm happy to be corrected about the last 2.
In saying that Campese as his best would be the only one coming close to Sandows current attacking skills

hybrideel

Bench
at least Sandow is willing to put his body on the line in defence - it is more his lack of size which creates his defensive problem. It can be fixed if he gets some help on the field.

Also poor defensive half backs really cause problems for a team when the opposition is in the attacking zone ( ie 20 metres out from the tryline), this problem can be fixed by giving the opposition limited opportunities in this zone - this is why the storm/dragins/manly have been so good over the years, they don't give the opposition cheap attacking field position.

And a half with a good kicking game would really help us do that

Eels Dude

Coach

He also rushes out of the line a fair bit too. He's an enthustiac player but that comes with his downfalls. Often you see him rushing out of the line to try and put a big hit on but the downside of that though is that it's not going to come off every time and just leaves a massive hole in the defensive line up the middle. Teams playing against Souths have made a lot of breaks down the middle taking advantage of that.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He also rushes out of the line a fair bit too. He's an enthustiac player but that comes with his downfalls. Often you see him rushing out of the line to try and put a big hit on but the downside of that though is that it's not going to come off every time and just leaves a massive hole in the defensive line up the middle. Teams playing against Souths have made a lot of breaks down the middle taking advantage of that.

over the second half of the season he has gone a lot better, he has not tried to rush out of the line as much and I don't think he has tried a big hit for a while. I think Lang may have had a chat to him. But overall it isn't a big problem to fix.

hybrideel

Bench
i think i saw him do it last night before one of the cowboys tries. Well that was in the 1 minute highlights package i watched anyway

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only current ones i can think of that are strong defensively while still being fairly good attacking would be Foran and possibly Campese and Mullen although i'm happy to be corrected about the last 2.

If you're including five-eighths (and why not include them in a system with split halves?) then you're right.

I'd say Foran and Mullen are average defenders, which is still pretty good for halves. Foran might be tough but he still misses a few tackles. He missed 5 against us, for example.

Also, I forgot Craig Gower as a top-line defensive halfback. He's up there with Johns a defender.

In saying that Campese as his best would be the only one coming close to Sandows current attacking skills

Campese is a very good half but he lacks Sandow's explosive running game. He's like a smarter, slower version of Sutton.

Personally I'd have a fit Campese in Origin over Soward. I'd have Mullen over Soward as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
over the second half of the season he has gone a lot better, he has not tried to rush out of the line as much and I don't think he has tried a big hit for a while.

Now he's all about 80 metre interceptions. He still loves the big play and that will probably never change.

I f**king love it.

Bigfella

Coach
With him and hayne in the same side we may score more tries while defending than we did with robson and Mortimer in attack.