What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kapow - sandow

hybrideel

Bench
See there is the issue. You guys and the media all see the individual run or the goal kick but miss the other 75 mins of the game. No doubt he is a brilliant individual but its funny there is no mention of him dropping the ball late in the game in our half or him grubbering on halfway in extra time to give them the ball back or letting in the last try or others for that matter. Stop fapping boys and watch the game, not the 1 min highlight reel or media article.

So you know that we have only watched the highlight reels and are making uneducated comments do you?
I think you'll find a few people here have been sceptical at first about his signing (me included) due to the known weaknesses in his game, but after watching him over the time since that signing have become more and more excited.
No he isn't perfect, he makes mistakes, but as far as i'm concerned the positives in his game, (kicking, passing game, speed, vision, decision making) far outweigh the negatives (defence, occasional brain snap) and are on a different stratosphere to our current halves options and any other half on the market at the time.
You can protect a weak defensive half (Lockyer with Carroll and whoever does this job now, Soward with Scott), we just need to park Benny Smith next to him.
What you can't really do is teach an average half all the good things he can do. God knows we have tried to turn average halves into superstars for quite a few years now.
Well that's what i think from watching the highlight reel anyway.

Also have you actually read any of the Eels fans posts? We can pick apart our own players better than opposition fans can. Sandow has been no different since the signing announcement. How about you go through some previous posts before making a comment like that next time

Mr Spock!

Referee
i think the souths fans dont want to admit just how much they are going to miss him next year

We will definitely miss him and I'm sad he has to go. We gave the bloke a chance and he's starting to bloom. We haven't had a decent reliable consistent halfback since the Sea Eagles stole Craig Field to play reserve grade. Now he's gone. Like a whole heap of ex-bunnies I've supported over 35 years. Good luck to him and you guys. Now we have to do the same with another young number 7. That's part of being a Bunnies supporter. Life goes on.

caylo

Bench
We will definitely miss him and I'm sad he has to go. We gave the bloke a chance and he's starting to bloom. We haven't had a decent reliable consistent halfback since the Sea Eagles stole Craig Field to play reserve grade. Now he's gone. Like a whole heap of ex-bunnies I've supported over 35 years. Good luck to him and you guys. Now we have to do the same with another young number 7. That's part of being a Bunnies supporter. Life goes on.

your preaching to the wrong crowd, over the past 10 years we have had players like Tonga, Lyon, J.Cayless and Ryan signed by other clubs after we have developed them and then they have gone on to represent their country and state. Life of football, it was the bunnies that threw big money at hayne and showed his mum around to try and get her on side after his debu year.

Mr Spock!

Referee
your preaching to the wrong crowd, over the past 10 years we have had players like Tonga, Lyon, J.Cayless and Ryan signed by other clubs after we have developed them and then they have gone on to represent their country and state. Life of football, it was the bunnies that threw big money at hayne and showed his mum around to try and get her on side after his debu year.

I'd rather him go to you guys than the Roosters and Sea Eagles. Lots of history between us and those thieves.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We haven't had a decent reliable consistent halfback since the Sea Eagles stole Craig Field to play reserve grade. Now he's gone.

Souths have more than their share of gun attacking players. I think they have potentially the best attacking team in the comp.

With Merritt, Inglis, Sutton, Taylor, Burgess and Luke in the side, all you need is a halfback who can talk and kick. You don't need a superstar in the 7, and due to the salary cap you don't really deserve one.

caylo

Bench
Souths have more than their share of gun attacking players. I think they have potentially the best attacking team in the comp.

With Merritt, Inglis, Sutton, Taylor, Burgess and Luke in the side, all you need is a halfback who can talk and kick. You don't need a superstar in the 7, and due to the salary cap you don't really deserve one.

Over the last 5-10 years the best teams have been those with good forwards and back but their best players around the halves and hooker. Tigers have Benji and Farah, Storm Cronk and Smith, Eagles Stewart and Foran/Orford, Brisbane Hunt, Lockyer and Wallace.

Souths to me have very good forwards and avg backs but have always lacked a solid halves partner until recently. Inglis may work as a 5-8 but they need someone at 7 or 6 to support Luke and its not Sutton. I hope they can find a jnr player who can fill a creative role and be supported by those big gun players because if not they will struggle to win games. Centres and backrowers are only as good as the player that puts them in the gap tbh

strider

Post Whore
i'm not sure who we are going to have protecting him, our guys are lucky to tackle their own man atm :lol:

oh and lockyer isn't a weak defender, he's a fantastic defender for the type of player he is (ie a star playmaker, usually they suck defensively these days) - he's just had minders to make sure he doesn't get worn out

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Over the last 5-10 years the best teams have been those with good forwards and back but their best players around the halves and hooker. Tigers have Benji and Farah, Storm Cronk and Smith, Eagles Stewart and Foran/Orford, Brisbane Hunt, Lockyer and Wallace.

You're right, except the Dragons last year proved you don't need an awesome spine to win a comp.

Beside Boyd at 1, their 6, 7 and 9 were the weakest part of the team.

Inglis may work as a 5-8 but they need someone at 7 or 6 to support Luke and its not Sutton.

I rate Sutton big time. He's a gun.

He can pass before the line, at the line or offload, he can make his own breaks, and he can kick. Plus he's big for a 6 so he's not a defensive weakness.

People put shit on him for the same reason they put shit on Hayne - body language mostly, plus he plays in a team that has generally sucked.

Centres and backrowers are only as good as the player that puts them in the gap tbh

Inglis and Taylor have both been massive this year playing outside Sutton.

hindy111

Post Whore
Souths should not of poached GI or Dave Taylor-I have no sympathy towards them.
Same goes at Parra-We have gone and signed some big names in Sandow and TOnga.If we loose a few young guys cause of this well bad luck-Thats the way the cookie crumbles.
In this game thou-A centre a winger and a forward is easily replaced.
A good play maker and hooker are like your diamonds.The hardest to get.Fullback is just behind but if i was a coach they would be the 3 positions id look after first

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i'm not sure who we are going to have protecting him, our guys are lucky to tackle their own man atm :lol:

He'll definitely have Ben Smith defending on his inside. No idea who'll be on his outside. Could be Ryan Morgan or Esi Tonga.

oh and lockyer isn't a weak defender, he's a fantastic defender for the type of player he is (ie a star playmaker, usually they suck defensively these days)

He's good for his size but he's still under 90kg. He's not a guy you want marking Taylor or Blair on his own tryline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Souths should not of poached GI or Dave Taylor-I have no sympathy towards them.

It's their right to go for the players they signed. You can't just rely on developing your own juniors to fill a need in your squad.

Same goes at Parra-We have gone and signed some big names in Sandow and TOnga.If we loose a few young guys cause of this well bad luck-Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

True.

In this game thou-A centre a winger and a forward is easily replaced.
A good play maker and hooker are like your diamonds.The hardest to get.Fullback is just behind but if i was a coach they would be the 3 positions id look after first

This is how Sheens and Bellamy (now that he has to abide by the salary cap) build their teams, and it looks like Kearney is going the same way.

Difference is, Kearney seems happy to go with a 'merely' solid player at dummy half, and a bit more depth than Melbourne or Wests.

caylo

Bench
You're right, except the Dragons last year proved you don't need an awesome spine to win a comp.

Beside Boyd at 1, their 6, 7 and 9 were the weakest part of the team.

I rate Sutton big time. He's a gun.

He can pass before the line, at the line or offload, he can make his own breaks, and he can kick. Plus he's big for a 6 so he's not a defensive weakness.

People put shit on him for the same reason they put shit on Hayne - body language mostly, plus he plays in a team that has generally sucked.

Inglis and Taylor have both been massive this year playing outside Sutton.

Sutton is similar to Mateo in their style (very different player though). Sutton is not a backrower but he also isn't a 5-8, he is suck between the two.

He is a very good ball player as you said through and before the line but he is very hit and miss and his kicking game can be very woeful at times. He is a decent defending 5-8 but would be a poor backrower in defence. I personally think Sandow is more important part of their team and Sutton will struggle to get any space without Sandow.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm concerned I've become one of those merkins who only posts when he's disagreeing with people, so I'm making an effort to also post when I agree.

hybrideel

Bench
Ok so i guess i was being a little harsh on Lockyers defensive abilities now.
Looking at a comparison between him and Sandow he looks pretty good.
Tackles Made Ineffective tackles Tackles Missed
Lockyer 17 games 302(17.8/g) 14(0.8/g) 41(2.4/g)
Sandow 21 games 275(13.1/g) 15(0.7/g) 123(5.8/g)

However i still don't care. What he brings to the team is worth more than the missed tackles as long as we setup the structure to cover for him.

Last edited: